Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Florida 3 Detroit 2 Final

Polish-Hammer

Larkin goal.

Unfortuantely Smith got him the puck which means he's gonna get benched now.

1-0 at first intermission.

Smith looking hungry tonight. Dominating the board play too.

So far two PP and now on the delay. Down 3-1. Just heard Seider had an injury won't play the rest of the season with the team he is on now.

Can’t wait to have one of the worst records again and have the stupid lottery system screw us again.

Can?t wait to have one of the worst records again and have the stupid lottery system screw us again.

All depends on your outlook.

Realistically draft position is standings from bottom -3 spots for lottery, and -1 for Seattle. Depends where Seattle gets gifted position, but historically for expansion teams they would get top billing. So potentially draft inverse of standings -4 unless the Seattle opening season is delayed.

For Vegas draft they gave them the 3rd best draft odds which is counter to previous expansions of giving them the #1 out of gate.

The dissapointment/populist outlook (which in my eyes is incorrect given the lottery system) is assume your team owns whatever pick inverse to standings. This is idiotic because the first 3 picks are subject to lottery among the non-playoff teams which make up 50% of the league.

It would be like a sports star of your choosing, completely ignoring the little thing called income tax and just spending like a drunken sailor.
Then being completely upset about owing IRS millions. That would never happen right? >:D

All depends on your outlook.

Realistically draft position is standings from bottom -3 spots for lottery, and -1 for Seattle. Depends where Seattle gets gifted position, but historically for expansion teams they would get top billing. So potentially draft inverse of standings -4 unless the Seattle opening season is delayed.

For Vegas draft they gave them the 3rd best draft odds which is counter to previous expansions of giving them the #1 out of gate.

The dissapointment/populist outlook (which in my eyes is incorrect given the lottery system) is assume your team owns whatever pick inverse to standings. This is idiotic because the first 3 picks are subject to lottery among the non-playoff teams which make up 50% of the league.

It would be like a sports star of your choosing, completely ignoring the little thing called income tax and just spending like a drunken sailor.
Then being completely upset about owing IRS millions. That would never happen right? >:D

Not sure
I think I feel better after reading this lol .
Do you like the lottery system ?

Not sure
I think I feel better after reading this lol .
Do you like the lottery system ?

Hell no, but it's better then outright reward teams intentionally tanking.

The league has shown a reluctance to investigate or punish such teams.

In my mind it doesn't go far enough, I want something far more radical!

Top pick goes to teams that miss playoffs by fewest # of points. For all non-playoff teams.
You'll need a good tie breaker. Fuck it, maybe even do a best of 3 game series for it.

Getting a top pick in a draft isn't a magical bullet that will turn around a franchise, there is typically gross mismanagement involved that leads a team to be at the bottom.

That would still guarantee the worst team a top 16 pick.

Pros:
- Tanking is solved! Teams are actually encouraged to ice the best possible teams
- Increases the value of 1st round picks and players at deadline
Think of it as teams that know they will miss playoffs as gambling on their trade partner missing the playoffs.
- The drama of 'we got screwed' by the lottery would finally be over

There are few clear issues with this:

1. Possibility to stack teams (teams missing playoffs are still competitive)
I point you to Philadelphia who in 2017 moved up to #1 from #13 (if ignore top 3 protection).
2. Teams will argue this is unfair to the truly bad teams
Here's the advantage of this system, most teams before being outright bad tend to spent some significant time in the middle of the pack.

Eventually some teams will end up finishing last, that is inevitable. The goal here is to keep league at maximum competitiveness.

3. Teams chasing playoffs might be reluctant to trade 1st round picks or use a protection scheme (ex. Toronto 1st rounder to Carolina was lottery protected ie. Toronto retains if pick ends in top 3)
4. Teams could intentionally try to miss playoffs (this is a possibility, but it's also costing short term $$$ from playoff gates, and players would unlikely to be complicit)

An offshoot of 4, is teams could just dump all their players for as many 1st round picks and wilfully accept the 16th round pick.

Would such a system get adopted? Hell no, unless someone slipped acid into coffee at the Board of Governors.

Back