Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Football Championship Week Score Prediction Thread

Michchamp

Good heavens, I was so absorbed in basking in the glow of our big win last Saturday, I forgot we have another game coming up!

Big_Ten_Football_Championship_Game_logo.png

Key Information.

Saturday, December 3, 2022 @ 7 PM on FOX, #2 Michigan (12-0/9-0) plays NR Purdue (8-4/6-3) for the Big Ten Championship!

Line: UM -16.5; holding steady after moving in our favor after the open. o/u 52.5

Sagarin Predictor: 17 pt. Michigan win (he ranks Purdue 42nd overall...)

bob_griese.jpg

Hard to think of pics to post for this one... Brian's dad played there.

Game Notes.
This seems like a lay-up, which should give any reasonable sports fan pause; especially with Purdue's reputation as a conference "Goliath-slayer." But it's hard to see Purdue stop our offense very much, or even slow them down. They were - like all Big Ten West teams - pretty inconsistent this season.

Still, Purdue is lead by 4-year Starting QB Aidan O'Connell, who has endured a bit of tragedy this week, with the death of his brother. How that affects his play, I can only speculate; I don't know if they've released a cause of death. ESPN has nothing.

Also remains to be seen if this Mazi Smith situation becomes a distraction, and whether Blake Corum and Donovan Edwards play. Edwards seemed fine against OSU...

Untitled-design-2022-11-29T105223.521.png

History.
This is the 60th meeting all-time between UM and Purdue; we are 45-14 against them. We are 10-2 against them when we're ranked in the Top 5.

Our last win against them was in 2017, when we won 28-10 in West Lafayette... the game where Wilton Speight got injured & we discovered there were no medical services available in West Lafayette, other than a First Aid kit in the home locker room, or something like that. O'Korn took over and lead us to a win.

966d974078168555ef88f04688df9ece-original.jpg

His wikipedia page reports his current status as "Free Agent"

It sucks remembering all that...

Stats.
I think the key is Purdue's defense; if they can get some stops or turnovers, maybe they can turn this into a game. They're not... completely terrible... 33rd overall defense... but note: 65th in Team PED (OSU is 42nd. Two teams we did not throw well against are much better: Illinois is 1st... and Penn St is 2nd).

Purdue's rush defense is 37th, and seems reasonable stout on a ypc basis, but is statistically worse than teams we ran all over, like Penn St and Ohio St. >:D

They're worse than us in every category that matters; while they're a Passing Offense (21st in the NCAA @ 281 ypg) they're not very efficient at it (Team PEO rank: 71st). Our PEO? 28th. As long as we come out focused and ready to fight... yeah.

big-10-championship-featured-image-300x188.jpg

Let's get this. Another one of them neat shiny footballs for our trophy case.

So that's that. Go ahead and make your predictions and post some analysis if you choose, but as always leave the woofing and barking for the other threads.

I'll get mine out of the way:

Michigan....38
Purdue......13

close at the half.

Last edited by a moderator:
Key info update: Corum officially out the rest of the season and having surgery.

Woof

][V][ichigan 41
Purdue 14

Last edited:
Key info update: Corum officially out the rest of the season and having surgery.

That is HUGE news. And BAD news at that.

I would be more concerned except I watched what we did to Ohio State with him on the sideline.

Hope the surgery goes well.

actual point spread was 21. Monster wins, I think... 18 is 3 pts off. 25 is 4 pts off.

But phillps hits the o/u

I wish the game was earlier.

Yeah, I was barely keeping my eyes open at the final whistle, and fell asleep on the couch. Really regretted offering to clean the kitchen up after the game.

Back