Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

For the Faithful

I was raised on the Baltimore Catechism - so I can recite the 7 deadly sins, the 15 mysteries of the rosary, but I have found that, while knowledge is important in any religion to answer guys like the druid Tinsel, but faith in God and the resurrection of Christ, is so much more important.

There are now 20 Rosary Mysteries. The Luminous Mysteries. The wonder of the Catholic faith lies in discovering it as well as seeing it through the eyes of the Saints. And in Scripture. I've been reading more lately, along with a few book authored by several saints. Everything about the Catholic Church focuses on the death and resurrection of Christ. The Church was founded right at the Cross.

"In this chapel are ancestors: you cannot deny that. With the estate, I bought the chapel and its contents. I don't know whose ancestors they were, but I know whose ancestors they are, and I shudder to think that their descendant by purchase (if I may so describe myself) should have brought disgrace upon what, I have no doubt, was an unstained escutcheon."

I had to look it up, but you are saying that Jews were forced to kill Jesus because of who they were?

Pirates of Penzance, eh?

I had to look it up, but you are saying that Jews were forced to kill Jesus because of who they were?

No, it just seems relevant to the idea of conversion changing who your ancestors are or what they did.

I thought there were 3. Seriously.

You were correct. There are now four mysteries, each with five meditations. Syntax is important. I should have said "meditations" and there are 20 of those now.

The Joyful Mysteries: Annunciation, Visitation, Nativity, Presentation of Jesus in the Temple, The Finding of Jesus in the Temple

The Sorrowful Mysteries: The Agony, The Scourging, Crowning of Thorns, Accepting the Cross, The Crucifixion

The Glorious Mysteries: Resurrection, Ascension, Decent of the Holy Spirit, Assumption of The Blessed Mother, Coronation of The Blessed Mother

The Luminous Mysteries: Jesus Baptized, Wedding at Cana, Proclamation of the Kingdom, The Transfiguration, The Last Supper

Last edited:
A thread to discuss God for people who believe in Him. Takers?

Here.
Byron, Always a believer in God maker of heaven and earth and in Jesus Christ the son of God.

I don't get all involved in the arguing back and forth with non-believers.
Atheist, Agnostics, Jewish, all other religions, whatever anyone believes in or doesn't, good for them. Life is full of people and choices.

One of My 2 remaining best friends is Jewish he is mishpocah, and a real Mitzvah,
another is Catholic. both have been my dearest of friends since I moved from Detroit as a kid.

How I have always felt, is to live and let live. We will never be able convert anyone to our personal religious or political beliefs.

I am not a weekly church goer, but I pray every day for my old mom, my family and friends who have left this earth, and for those who are still here.

Maybe I have been a little bit of an ass on this thread.

I was raised Catholic; I just never caught the fever.

I don't consider myself to be atheist though.

I actually do believe in angels.

Or one anyway.

She happens to be Jewish.

You were correct. There are now four mysteries, each with five meditations. Syntax is important. I should have said "meditations" and there are 20 of those now.

The Joyful Mysteries: Annunciation, Visitation, Nativity, Presentation of Jesus in the Temple, The Finding of Jesus in the Temple

The Sorrowful Mysteries: The Agony, The Scourging, Crowning of Thorns, Accepting the Cross, The Crucifixion

The Glorious Mysteries: Resurrection, Ascension, Decent of the Holy Spirit, Assumption of The Blessed Mother, Coronation of The Blessed Mother

The Luminous Mysteries: Jesus Baptized, Wedding at Cana, Proclamation of the Kingdom, The Transfiguration, The Last Supper

Yes I should have said meditations also. I hadn't heard that the luminous had become official. Seems I'm behind in the dogma.

Used to announce a meditation of one of the mysteries prior to each decade of the rosary. My parents felt that saying the rosary as a family is one of the most powerful prayers there are.

When folks are in need (even on this message board), I say a novena of rosaries (9 days of rosaries), for their intentions, and for God's will to be done. It does not matter to me that they do not believe in prayer. What's important is that I do. :*)

Last edited:
Here.
Byron, Always a believer in God maker of heaven and earth and in Jesus Christ the son of God.

Atheist, Agnostics, Jewish, all other religions, whatever anyone believes in or doesn't, good for them. Life is full of people and choices.

One of My 2 remaining best friends is Jewish he is mishpocah, and a real Mitzvah,
another is Catholic. both have been my dearest of friends since I moved from Detroit as a kid.

How I have always felt, is to live and let live. We will never be able convert anyone to our personal religious or political beliefs.

I am not a weekly church goer, but I pray every day for my old mom, my family and friends who have left this earth, and for those who are still here.

Not looking to debate either. There are plenty of other threads for that. There is no reason or purpose to arguing about faith, I agree. I go to Mass at least four times a week. I need to.

Yes I should have said meditations also. I hadn't heard that the luminous had become official. Seems I'm behind in the dogma.

Used to announce a meditation of one of the mysteries prior to each decade of the rosary. My parents felt that saying the rosary as a family is one of the most powerful prayers there are.

When folks are in need (even on this message board), I say a novena of rosaries (9 days of rosaries), for their intentions, and for God's will to be done. It does not matter to me that they do not believe in prayer. What's important is that I do. :*)

I need to pray a daily Rosary. I'm not there yet.

Here.

Ron, my Judaism is a little rusty, but is mishpocah another word for head of the family, or group of related families? Also is Mitzvah akin to Orthodox?

Maybe I have been a little bit of an ass on this thread.

I was raised Catholic; I just never caught the fever.

I don't consider myself to be atheist though.

I actually do believe in angels.

Or one anyway.

She happens to be Jewish.

Tinsel, I always thought of you as sort of Christian-lite (more agnostic than pagan IMHO), but their is usually a moment or series of events that causes you to feel that being Catholic is just who you are, especially if you were raised Catholic but have fallen away, or come to disagree with the church in some grave way. It doesn't happen for everyone, but it sounds like being raised Catholic might have actually lead you in the other direction. :*)

Far be it from me to judge you for that. It is a very personal thing.

Glad you found your angel though!

Ron, my Judaism is a little rusty, but is mishpocah another word for head of the family, or group of related families? Also is Mitzvah akin to Orthodox?

Paul, someone who is mishpocah, my phonetic spelling, is someone who is like a family member. Someone who is a mitzvah is a person who always does good deeds for others.
idk if it is akin to Orthodox.
Growing up here with a melting pot of friends from different ancestries, I learned lots of great expressions in Jewish, Gaelic, Italian, Greek, Arabic, Swedish.

I'm glad you cleared that up. It doesn't exactly capture my reaction, but imagine if you saw two posters discussing whether there were 35 or 40 Sacraments.

Tinsel, I always thought of you as sort of Christian-lite (more agnostic than pagan IMHO), but their is usually a moment or series of events that causes you to feel that being Catholic is just who you are, especially if you were raised Catholic but have fallen away, or come to disagree with the church in some grave way. It doesn't happen for everyone, but it sounds like being raised Catholic might have actually lead you in the other direction. :*)

Far be it from me to judge you for that. It is a very personal thing.

Glad you found your angel though!

Pagan is a little bit of a joke here on this board.

I like to pay attention to the changing of the seasons, for whatever reason.

There is a thread on Diggler's Junk a few years old, and I almost always update it when the season changes with photos of the seasons.

So anyways I sort of jokingly started calling myself a pagan because of that; it's actually pretty much my only pagan ritual.

So I'm a pretty poor excuse for a pagan, after all is said and done.

Well, that's what's crazy about the immutable truth, it's constantly changing and being upgraded.

I think we are on immutable truth version 665.0 right now.

Last edited:
Well, that's what's crazy about the immutable truth, it's constantly changing and being upgraded.

I think we are on immutable truth version 665.0 right now.

Not sure the dogma represents immutable truth. If it is constantly changing, it wouldn't be immutable would it?

In fact, I'd be interested to know if you think anything represents immutable truth to you?

Not sure the dogma represents immutable truth. If it is constantly changing, it wouldn't be immutable would it?

In fact, I'd be interested to know if you think anything represents immutable truth to you?

I was being sarcastic.

I would say that I view gravity as an immutable truth.

The Earth's orbit around the sun on its access.

The moon is made of cheese.

Although that last one may be scientifically debatable.

EDIT: Ha ha...ya didn't get the sarcasm in "immutable truth 665.0?"

Last edited:
I was being sarcastic.

I would say that I view gravity as an immutable truth.

The Earth's orbit around the sun on its access.

The moon is made of cheese.

Although that last one may be scientifically debatable.

EDIT: Ha ha...ya didn't get the sarcasm in "immutable truth 665.0?"

Earth's orbit is a pretty good example of immutable, but technically, it probably isn't. You've got the gravitational forces of the other planets and solar radiation pressure pushing the Earth perpendicular to its orbit.

Gravity? I think Idina Menzel would disagree. Gene Roddenberry too. I don't think their votes count though, so this is probably a better example.

The moon made of cheese? I have no argument with that claim.

Back