Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

For those going to the game on Sat...

This ordinance is actually really confusing to me - specifically because for anyone who drives through the intersection of State street and South University (right by the Union) knows that it's almost impossible to drive up to that three way stop and NOT have a pedestrian waiting to cross the street. The students just keep flowing through that intersection. So I'm not sure how a car could ever get through there without breaking this law. A cop could literally sit there and write everyone a ticket who goes through that intersection by the wording of the new law.

the crosswalk in the story is near my house

also agree around campus it is impossible - i work right near the central campus bus center and it is imposisble to drive through that crosswalk

and pedestrians need to be conscious of not dawdling while texting and also looking around

we had the same issues in Los Angeles years ago as they also ticketed if pedestrian was in crosswalk - but stepping into the crosswalk is a bit clearer than "approaching"

michlady77 said:
the crosswalk in the story is near my house

also agree around campus it is impossible - i work right near the central campus bus center and it is imposisble to drive through that crosswalk

and pedestrians need to be conscious of not dawdling while texting and also looking around

we had the same issues in Los Angeles years ago as they also ticketed if pedestrian was in crosswalk - but stepping into the crosswalk is a bit clearer than "approaching"

That's kind of what scares me about the thing. It's so broad that you could probably be pulled over whenever a cop wanted to.

Yeah, it seems like a very unrealistic law. Are you supposed to stop as soon as someone steps to the curb? Just very vague and in my opinion another way Ann Arbor can get more money from people visiting.

uofm06marine said:
Yeah, it seems like a very unrealistic law. Are you supposed to stop as soon as someone steps to the curb? Just very vague and in my opinion another way Ann Arbor can get more money from people visiting.

To be fair to Ann Arbor - most of the intersections that have one of these crosswalks have the new law posted on a sign clearly visible. So it's not like they are trying to trick anyone. It says something like "Local law, stop for pedestrians at crosswalk".

Back