Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Former POTUS Carter Apparently Close to the End

tinselwolverine

He was probably a good military man/person.

If there is a Beneficent Force in the Universe, hoping the Next Place will be kind to the former president.

I remember when Jimmy talked that guy down from an Orange Sunshine acid trip on Saturday Night Live

I remember when Jimmy talked that guy down from an Orange Sunshine acid trip on Saturday Night Live

Yeah, he was pretty good at that.

Later he hired an old black guy to drive his Southern Jewish mother around the South.

He was nominated for an Oscar for that.

As I was writing ?nominated for an,? both ?Oscar? and ?Academy? populated in my choice bar.

We are barrel speed on the way to singularity.

Too bad the former POTUS probably won?t be around to see it.

But I would imagine both Elwood Blue and Boolie Werthen will be.

My favorite Jimmy Carter story:

How Jimmy Carter Saved a Canadian Nuclear Reactor After a Meltdown

America's 39th president has held a lot of jobs in his time. Apart from being president of the United States (and sometimes while serving as president), Jimmy Carter has been a peanut farmer, preacher, professor and even a parole officer. But he started his adult life as a U.S. Navy officer, most famously working with Adm. Hyman Rickover, the "Father of the Nuclear Navy."

Though he started his naval career aboard diesel electric submarines, Lt. Carter began working with the Naval Reactors Branch of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission -- the Navy's nuclear submarine program -- in 1952.

Rickover was infamous in the Navy for demanding near-absolute perfection from those working under his command. His expectations of the then-28-year-old Carter were no different. The young lieutenant was being groomed as the engineering officer for the nuclear plant aboard the USS Seawolf, the Navy's second nuclear sub, and was designing the training program for its nuclear enlisted personnel.

The Navy's work in developing the first nuclear submarine, the USS Nautilus, meant that Rickover and Carter had access to the latest and greatest in top-secret nuclear energy technology. So when Canada's Chalk River nuclear research facility experienced a power surge that damaged its reactor, the U.S. sent Carter and his team. He was one of a few people in the world who could do it.

Fuel rods at the research reactor experienced a partial meltdown after the power surge. It ruptured the reactor and flooded the facility's basement with radioactive water, rendering the reactor core unusable.

In his 2015 autobiography, "A Full Life: Reflections At Ninety," Carter described the incident and his preparations for repairing the reactor. They built an exact replica of the reactor, true to the last detail (except the actual nuclear material) on a nearby tennis court to practice and track their progress.

Carter and his 22 other team members were separated into teams of three and lowered into the reactor for 90-second intervals to clean the site. It was estimated that a minute-and-a-half was the maximum time humans could be exposed to the levels of radiation present in the area.

It was still too much, especially by today's standards. The future president had radioactive urine for months after the cleanup.

Yet he has had cancer a few different times.
Most likely without the top notch, free (to them) publicly provided medical care that presidents and ex-presidents get, he'd be dead. And even if he was able to get comparable care from privately financed physicians, his family would have been bankrupted by the cost of the treatments.

My favorite Jimmy Carter story is how his successor & neocons in the defense establishment undermined him while he was still in office by negotiating a secret deal with Iran to supply them with weapons and aircraft parts, then went through with it, and used to proceeds to illegally fund fascist death squads in Nicaragua, and most Americans seemed to be okay with that both at the time, and now when most of the facts are known or have been admitted.

Most likely without the top notch, free (to them) publicly provided medical care that presidents and ex-presidents get, he'd be dead. And even if he was able to get comparable care from privately financed physicians, his family would have been bankrupted by the cost of the treatments.

Yeah, but no.

We have socialized healthcare for people over the age of 65 in this country.

It?s called Medicare.

It?s been around for over a half century.

Read more.

Yeah, but no.

It?s called Medicare.

Read more.

is it the same for everyone? I have close family members getting it now, and they're like "it's more fucked up than I was lead to believe."

Yeah, but no.

It?s called Medicare.

Read more.

Start with this.

A person doesn?t have to be a president or ex-president to be eligible for Medicare.

Just need to have paid payroll taxes as a W-2 tax filer, or self a employment as a W-9 filer.

That's now my second favorite Jimmy Carter story.

Kinda suprising we still have nuclear armed vessels and haven't had a meltdown lately, given how all our shit nationwide is falling apart.* Hopefully the Hyman-Rickover-training is firmly in place such that there are still solid officers overseeing reactors. Or they had the foresight to idiot-proof them for future generations, so the Homer Simpsons that we have now can't manage to F- them up.

To be fair, all those idiotic ship-to-ship collisions or groundings in our Pacific fleet from a few years back seem to have stopped for now. Hopefully not just because we stopped sailing...

is it the same for everyone? I have close family members getting it now, and they're like "it's more fucked up than I was lead to believe."

OK, things are probably better for a person who is a former president.

But it?s not like everybody else gets zero.

Has anyone that you have talked to about Medicare gone bankrupt while they were on Medicare?

My favorite Jimmy Carter story is how his successor & neocons in the defense establishment undermined him while he was still in office by negotiating a secret deal with Iran to supply them with weapons and aircraft parts, then went through with it, and used to proceeds to illegally fund fascist death squads in Nicaragua, and most Americans seemed to be okay with that both at the time, and now when most of the facts are known or have been admitted.

Thanks to the 1953 coup' that secured the Shah's status as monarch to prevent the nationalization of Iran's oil supply. Because the Brits wouldn't agree to a royalty payment audit and rejected limitations of control of Iran's oil reserves. Then the Brits and the CIA went to work.

everyone knows this isn't true. The US has the highest cancer survival rates in the world and it's not because ex-president's are bringing up the average. Clearly, even if he wasn't president, he likely would had medical insurance his entire life and gotten as good, if not better treatment.

everyone knows this isn't true. The US has the highest cancer survival rates in the world and it's not because ex-president's are bringing up the average. Clearly, even if he wasn't president, he likely would had medical insurance his entire life and gotten as good, if not better treatment.
Better? Come to Arizona and see for yourself what shitty hospitals are like.

Back