Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Free Agent Targets

There isn't a team out there that would offer a low level prospect for him because of his fat ass and fat ass contract.

Probably not, but the idea we would take a low level prospect in trade for Fielders production, regardless of his salary, is why you need to be careful not to lose the few remaining brain cells you have left.

Tighten that chin strap.

Probably not, but the idea we would take a low level prospect in trade for Fielders production, regardless of his salary, is why you need to be careful not to lose the few remaining brain cells you have left.

Tighten that chin strap.

you need to think before you type. The team can easly replace his "production" at 1/2 the price which would allow the extension of Max or addition of another quality player.

The deal though wouldn't hinder around Fielder because obviously as it's been stated him alone we would be lucky right now to get a mid level prospect but the haul for Max would be substantial which would allow the offset. Even if we could just net Profar for Prince and Max I believe that is an incredible deal that would make the Tigers that much better for not only the short term but long term as well.

Would it be very hard to give up Max of course especially when you consider we could very likely be seeing the combo of Darvish/Scherzer at the top of the rotation in any series but it would be WHAT the Tigers would then be allowed to do given the money involved we could very well be a player in not only Ellsbury but Choo as well and STILL be under our projected salary number.

you need to think before you type. The team can easly replace his "production" at 1/2 the price which would allow the extension of Max or addition of another quality player.

I am with Thumb on this. One season doesn't make a player. Everyone was all over Austin Jackson's jock strap last year. Where are they now? There was some, that wasn't too sure about Scherzer before this year. Or better yet, what about Porcello? Prior to the start of the season I was one of few that didn't want to trade him or relegate him to the bull pen.

I did not like the Fielder signing. Not because of his talent level, but I do not like long contracts. Period. I do not even like Verlander's, even before this year. And speaking of Verlander, maybe you want to get out from under his contract as well seeings he underperformed to his contract.

It makes no sense to sell "low".

Jacoby Ellsbury CF
Shin-Soo Choo RF
Torii Hunter LF
Miguel Cabrera 1B
Victor Martinez DH
Nick Castellanos 3B
Alex Avila C
Jurickson Profar 2B
Jose Iglesias SS

Granted the 3B option I am not sure of right now but ANYTHING at this point would be an upgrade over Miggy there. This would also depend on how well during Spring Castellanos's bat performs.

I am also taking into account that the possibility of trading Jackson this winter as well.

Last edited:
Losing Fielder's production would be worth it if you could replace it. Mr. I has shown a penchant to spend, you could get a pretty good player for 24 mil per year.

I'd rather see them chalk this signing up to overreaction to VM's injury and cut their losses if the opportunity arises. It's all moot though, it's doubtful Texas or anyone else would do it.

I am with Thumb on this. One season doesn't make a player. Everyone was all over Austin Jackson's jock strap last year. Where are they now? There was some, that wasn't too sure about Scherzer before this year. Or better yet, what about Porcello? Prior to the start of the season I was one of few that didn't want to trade him or relegate him to the bull pen.

I did not like the Fielder signing. Not because of his talent level, but I do not like long contracts. Period. I do not even like Verlander's, even before this year. And speaking of Verlander, maybe you want to get out from under his contract as well seeings he underperformed to his contract.

No matter HOW JV performed during the regular season he was absolutely lights out this postseason which is when it matters the most. Did he struggle this year absolutely but was he able to make the necessary adjustments when it mattered most? Yes he was.

I don't care if he is good or terrible like he has been this year. It is all about the contract and how he doesn't fit the team. His defense is terrible, he can't run the bases and plays the same position as the Tigers best player. It's not what you get in return but what you can get with the money that you were willing to spend on him.

As far as trading JV....I would be willing to trade anybody including JV or Miggy if the return was right. I'm not a fan of players....I am a Tigers fan. I want continued success every year. Sometimes a GM has to make tough / unpopular choices for the long term success of the team.

No matter HOW JV performed during the regular season he was absolutely lights out this postseason which is when it matters the most. Did he struggle this year absolutely but was he able to make the necessary adjustments when it mattered most? Yes he was.

Bring back Delmon Young, because he is lights out in the playoffs!

I don't care if he is good or terrible like he has been this year. It is all about the contract and how he doesn't fit the team. His defense is terrible, he can't run the bases and plays the same position as the Tigers best player. It's not what you get in return but what you can get with the money that you were willing to spend on him.

As far as trading JV....I would be willing to trade anybody including JV or Miggy if the return was right. I'm not a fan of players....I am a Tigers fan. I want continued success every year. Sometimes a GM has to make tough / unpopular choices for the long term success of the team.

Tom, you are aware that the Fielder signing is all on Illitch, right?

Tom, you are aware that the Fielder signing is all on Illitch, right?

yes....but it doesn't make it a good decision. He can do what he wants but I am just giving my opinion of what I would like to see done. I don't expect any of it to happen!

The trade would look MONEY wise like this.

Texas receives:
Fielder - 24M
Scherzer - 15M (arbitration guesstimate)

Tigers receives:
Jurickson Profar - 500k

Tigers would then not have to resign Infante which would free up another 8-10m putting the grand total saved from this deal around 47-48M. Trading Jackson would probably save the team another 5.5m next season putting the grand total up to a staggering 52-53.5m.

You sign Ellsbury (7y 140m is probably the magic number)
You sign Choo (Hunter Pence set the bar so probably 5y 90m)

Those 2 signings would account for 38 million and would better fit the Tigers as a WHOLE given us 2 players in front of Miggy that can get themselves on base and into scoring position on their own. Not only would we be creating speed at the top of the lineup but also would improve significantly defensively both in the OF and the IF. Choo isn't the greatest RF'er by no means but Hunter in LF and Ellsbury platooning CF would be an upgrade. And with Profar at 2B and Iglesias at SS and also having Miggy back at 1B would be a HUGE upgrade from last seasons defense.

Last edited:

How. Who at half Prince's price is going to equal the production he has given us in 2 years, get back to me on this.

Wrong.

Prince does not play 3B. Cabrera does not want to play 1st.

Put Cabrera at 3rd and he's probably the worst fielding 3B in baseball, but it makes little difference, because you can put him at 1B and he's the worst fielding 1B in baseball.

At least 3B makes better use of his abilities, which include a great arm, and accuracy throwing on the run.

Also if you think that .279/.362/.457/.819 with 25 HR and 106 RBI is "terrible", then you are a moron. Did he underachieve? probably. But far from terrible.

How. Who at half Prince's price is going to equal the production he has given us in 2 years, get back to me on this.

They could have been in on the Adrian Beltre before the 2011 season. The Rangers got him for 6 years and $96M. Not 1/2 the money on an annual basis but certainly significantly better player and at a position of need 3B.

As far as moving forward....not to hard to replace what Prince has done for this team. If you consider his base running skills, terrible defense and what seems to be declining offensive skills I think he would be pretty easy to replace!

Wrong.

Prince does not play 3B. Cabrera does not want to play 1st.

Put Cabrera at 3rd and he's probably the worst fielding 3B in baseball, but it makes little difference, because you can put him at 1B and he's the worst fielding 1B in baseball.

At least 3B makes better use of his abilities, which include a great arm, and accuracy throwing on the run.

Also if you think that .279/.362/.457/.819 with 25 HR and 106 RBI is "terrible", then you are a moron. Did he underachieve? probably. But far from terrible.

who cares what Cabrera wants. If they never signed Prince Miggy would still be at 1B where he belongs. You are quoting his offensive numbers which are not terrible by themselves but when you consider the amount of money they pay him and his other liabilities (basepaths and on defense) he was terrible.

After 1 bad regular season the last 3 years you would DARE compare the 2? lmao

No comparison. Just how ridiculous stating a player makes up for a subpar season by having good playoffs.

I've always thought Choo would be a perfect fit for this team if the Tigers decide they can afford him. Boras is his agent, Torii could move to left and then hopefully when Torri bounces Casty is in the wings... great OBP, can hit in the 1st couple spots of the order..solid fielder (at least I haven't heard anything terrible), and we need an asian player.

Back