Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

From Gunther Cunningham (LOL) Good article

biggunsbob

Lions' Calvin Johnson 'could probably kick the crap out of Megatron'

Mlive- article

ALLEN PARK - With Calvin Johnson having the best season of his short career, it might be time to find a new nickname for the Detroit Lions wide receiver. According to Gunther Cunningham, "Megatron" no longer paints the necessary picture to express how dominant Johnson is.
While still playing for Detroit, wideout Roy Williams gave Johnson the moniker, after the Decepticons leader in "Transformers."
I've never seen anything like him," said Williams in 2007, Johnsons's rookie season. "He's a big, strong, physical, fast guy. We call him 'Megatron.' We're looking for big things from Calvin this year."
While Cunningham would agree with Williams' description of the 6-foot-5, 235-pounder with 4.35 speed, the veteran defensive coordinator would take it even further.
"I've been doing this for a while," Cunningham said, "and I don't think I've ever seen one like this. 'Megatron,' or whatever, they need to change that name into something different because he could probably kick the crap out of Megatron."
Through 14 games this season, Johnson has 81 catches for 1,335 yards and 14 touchdowns. Last week, against Oakland, he exploded for 214 yards and two touchdowns - including the game-winner - on nine receptions.
It's the 26-year-old's low-key demeanor off the field that really impresses Cunningham.
"I've gotten to be pretty close friends with him, and it's kind of fun because you can do that as a coach that coaches the opposite side. I just admire him. And (Johnson's college coach) Chan Gailey told me, he said, 'Gun, when you meet him, you're not going to believe what kind of person he is.'
"To have the humility that he has, and be the player that he is, that is so unusual in this league. I'm so proud of watching him, and he deserves every bit of credit he can get."

Gun says it like he sees it. Honestly, megatron reminds me of Barry in a lot of ways, all the talent in the world but just wants to win. He doesnt make it about him its all about the team and what he can do to help. Its something rare and unusual these days.

motown1958 said:
Gun says it like he sees it. Honestly, megatron reminds me of Barry in a lot of ways, all the talent in the world but just wants to win. He doesnt make it about him its all about the team and what he can do to help. Its something rare and unusual these days.

Calvin fits the mold of a Detroit superstar perfectly...we don't like our stars to talk much. Just be great on the field and keep your mouth shut. We've been lucky to have a few of these greats to roll through this city.

manchild98 said:
motown1958 said:

Calvin fits the mold of a Detroit superstar perfectly...we don't like our stars to talk much. Just be great on the field and keep your mouth shut. We've been lucky to have a few of these greats to roll through this city.

yeah think about it...

barry.. yzerman.. lidstrom.. even verlander is all about detroit and winning..

it really is unusual.. whereas in places like new york, miami, la... it's all about me me me

I know its freaking fantastic... Man i hope one day they hoist the super bowl trophy one day.. Barry deserved one man it is so much fun to have the playoffs in our grasp...

Back