Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 102 Tigers @ mariners 4:10pm ET July 28, 2019

Another 11 K's, only 3 hits should increase Boyd's value and 111 pitches nice.

Mets just landed Stroman. Very curious to see what they gave up.

24 year old, Kay In 31 1/3 innings with Syracuse, he has a 6.61 ERA with 26 strikeouts and 11 walks. He was their 3rd best prospect.

And an 18 year old. #6 in the Mets system.

I think its a nice deal for the NYM. If they think they can compete next season, 4th year arb for Stroman.. It'll be better.

Last edited:
I didn't thing the Tigers could look worse than 2003. If that was a HS team this is junior high team. I bet some kindergarten teams could give this offense a run for it's money.

I wouldn't be upset if we kept Boyd.

I wouldn't be upset either way. I would love to see them get some good positional prospects for him since that is what the system is lacking. But if they keep him because they can't get what they think he is worth, I will be OK with that as well.

E9C39FBB-3269-417E-9347-29332AC57067.png.a3e2e746d2ecc44bf25e3abdba689623.png

I was hoping for a 3-5 year rebuild but this appears to be a 5-10 year rebuild. I just have zero faith in ownership and Avila.

The Tigers better be on a mission to not be the answer to the question: "what MLB team has the most losses in the regular season?"

I was hoping for a 3-5 year rebuild but this appears to be a 5-10 year rebuild. I just have zero faith in ownership and Avila.

I really think that the re-build should have been just about done by now if they would have done it right. They made SO many bad moves and it all started with signing Miggy after the 2014 season (I won't harp on it because I usually get yelled at). That was the same year they signed V-mart to the extension (mistake #2)

The year after the signings (2015) they went 74-87. That's when they should have started the re-build. Instead, in 2016 they signed Zimmerman, Pelfrey, and Upton. At the 2016 trade deadline, they could have traded Miggy for a haul and started over (if they hadn't signed him to the extension)

Whether you get shit or not, that Miggy deal was a mistake. I'm with you on that. I wasn't on the train that was wanting him to retire a tiger. Would it be nice if he did? Sure. But not at that cost.

Last edited:
https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2019/0...r-2019-tigers-its-now-a-real-possibility.html
Worst season ever? For 2019 Tigers, it?s now a real possibility.
Mlive

Can it be done? Here is what the Tigers would have to do the rest of the way to reach the following marks:

Most losses in AL history*: 12-49 (.197)

Tie most losses in AL history: 13-48 (.213)

Most losses in MLB history: 11-50 (.180)

Tie most losses in MLB history: 12-49 (.197)

Worst win percentage in MLB history: 8-53 (.131)

* All the records cited are for the modern era (1900-present).

In other words, to avoid all this ignominy, the Tigers simply must win 14 games -- 23 percent of the remaining slate -- over the next seven weeks.

It?s hard to believe now, but the Tigers started the season at 18-20. Since May 13, they?ve gone 12-51, putting them on an almost perfect pace to go down to the wire against the 2003 Tigers and 1962 Mets.

On post-May 13 pace: 12-49 rest of the way with final record of 42-120.

On overall season pace: 18-43 with a final record of 48-114.

What Fangraphs predicts: 25-36 rest of the way with final record of 55-107.

What FiveThirty predicts: 22-39 rest of the way with final record of 52-110.

What Baseball Prospectus predicts: 27-34 rest of the way for final record of 57-105.

If you?re looking at the 2003 team as a benchmark, the current Tigers are doing OK. The 2003 Tigers didn?t win their 30th game until Aug. 7, when they already had 82 losses.

2003 team?s record through:

100 games: 27-73

120 games: 31-89

130 games: 33-97

140 games: 37-103

150 games: 38-112

End of season: 43-119

The Tigers avoided an even worse historical fate by winning three of their final four games. Their opponent? The first-place Minnesota Twins, who had already clinched the division title and were preparing for the playoffs under the helm of a second-year manager named Ron Gardenhire.

Sixteen years later, Gardenhire may be on the other side.

The schedule will do him no favors. From Aug. 16 to Sept. 2, the Tigers play 17 consecutive games against likely playoff teams (the Rays, Astros, Indians and Twins. The final month of the season includes some breathers, but also features four teams likely to be jockeying for the playoffs.

It also includes games against the Baltimore Orioles, who are currently 35-70 after picking up eight wins after the All-Star break. The Tigers are Orioles will battle it out for the worst record in baseball and thus the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2020.

The best scenario for the Tigers? Win 14 games. That?s enough to keep them from the humiliation of a record-book season, but probably not enough to climb keep them from getting that No. 1 pick.

I really think that the re-build should have been just about done by now if they would have done it right. They made SO many bad moves and it all started with signing Miggy after the 2014 season (I won't harp on it because I usually get yelled at). That was the same year they signed V-mart to the extension (mistake #2)

The year after the signings (2015) they went 74-87. That's when they should have started the re-build. Instead, in 2016 they signed Zimmerman, Pelfrey, and Upton. At the 2016 trade deadline, they could have traded Miggy for a haul and started over (if they hadn't signed him to the extension)

Your timeline is all wrong. Miguel was signed through 15, not 16. Without the extension, they would have had traded him in 2015. If not for his extension, I doubt they trade for Soria and/or D. Price (Boyd, Norris and J. Jones would not be on the current team).

Mar 2014 - Miggy 8-yr extension (Age 31)
Mar 2014 - Signed J.D. Martinez
Jul 2014 - Traded Knebel and Thompson for Soria (bad trade)

Jul 2014 - Traded A. Jackson, D. Smyly and Adames for D. Price (???)

Nov 2014 - Traded D. Travis for A. Gose (bad trade)
Nov 2014 - V-Mart 4-yr extension (Age 36)
Dec 2014- R. Ray and Leyba for S. Greene (???)
Dec 2014 - Traded Porcello for Cespedes and A. Wilson
Dec 2014 - Traded E. Suarez and Crawford for A. Simon (bad trade)

Now, the getting "yelled" at is the disrespect you show Miggy. Yes, he got hurt and is a tad overweight by his standards (he was never at weight, he has always been thick). As a general rule, players do not purposely under perform. Additionally, his 2015 and 2016 were not necessarily bad seasons. Despite being hurt, his first half in 2017 was acceptable, with his 2nd half falling off due to playing with injuries. Most of the 2018 season, his totals were low, but not out of bounds. And now this year, where just recently he had the highest BAVG (now 2nd behind LeMahieu) with Runners On Base in all of MLB. (also 2nd to LeMahieu for RISP). And prior to him changing his mechanics, he has his highest "hard hit" rate in his career, even if the results weren't there.

Yes, his is having a difficult year and yes they should just sit him down. Yes, rather than an 8-year contract, they should have done 4-5 years, with clauses and incentives. Now, if you don't look at salary, he is probably the 2nd best hitter on this team behind Castellanos, even playing hurt.

Last edited:
Your timeline is all wrong. Miguel was signed through 15, not 16. Without the extension, they would have had traded him in 2015. If not for his extension, I doubt they trade for Soria and/or D. Price (Boyd, Norris and J. Jones would not be on the current team).

Mar 2014 - Miggy 8-yr extension (Age 31)
Mar 2014 - Signed J.D. Martinez
Jul 2014 - Traded Knebel and Thompson for Soria (bad trade)

Jul 2014 - Traded A. Jackson, D. Smyly and Adames for D. Price (???)

Nov 2014 - Traded D. Travis for A. Gose (bad trade)
Nov 2014 - V-Mart 4-yr extension (Age 36)
Dec 2014- R. Ray and Leyba for S. Greene (???)
Dec 2014 - Traded Porcello for Cespedes and A. Wilson
Dec 2014 - Traded E. Suarez and Crawford for A. Simon (bad trade)

Now, the getting "yelled" at is the disrespect you show Miggy. Yes, he got hurt and is a tad overweight by his standards (he was never at weight, he has always been thick). As a general rule, players do not purposely under perform. Additionally, his 2015 and 2016 were not necessarily bad seasons. Despite being hurt, his first half in 2017 was acceptable, with his 2nd half falling off due to playing with injuries. Most of the 2018 season, his totals were low, but not out of bounds. And now this year, where just recently he had the highest BAVG (now 2nd behind LeMahieu) with Runners On Base in all of MLB. (also 2nd to LeMahieu for RISP). And prior to him changing his mechanics, he has his highest "hard hit" rate in his career, even if the results weren't there.

Yes, his is having a difficult year and yes they should just sit him down. Yes, rather than an 8-year contract, they should have done 4-5 years, with clauses and incentives. Now, if you don't look at salary, he is probably the 2nd best hitter on this team behind Castellanos, even playing hurt.

So I made a mistake with the time Miggy was signed but not the year they should have re-built (2015). Like I said, signing Miggy & V-Mart were the beginning of the end. They could have still done all of those moves in 2014, had the same record in 2015 and still traded Miggy on his walk year which would have happened since he would have been a free agent in 2016. Of course, since he was hurt on the trade deadline, maybe they don't get a haul.

I'm not disrespecting Miggy...I just tell the truth.

Last edited:
So I made a mistake with the time Miggy was signed but not the year they should have re-built (2015). Like I said, signing Miggy & V-Mart were the beginning of the end. They could have still done all of those moves in 2014, had the same record in 2015 and still traded Miggy on his walk year which would have happened since he would have been a free agent in 2016. Of course, since he was hurt on the trade deadline, maybe they don't get a haul.

I'm not disrespecting Miggy...I just tell the truth.

Those long deals never work out. Its hard to see it now but I suspect Trout will be in the same boat eventually.

Those long deals never work out. Its hard to see it now but I suspect Trout will be in the same boat eventually.

most likely. He signed an 11 year extension that ends when he will be 38. My guess is he will be one of the best players in the game for the next 4-5 years. He will probably be top 20 for the next 2 or so. His last 4 (age 35-38) will be a disappointment.

Back