Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 15 Detroit Tigers vs. Minnesota Twins 1:40 p.m. EST 4/14

Yankees just pulled a couple runs ahead of the Guardians in the 10th inning.

Great comeback. I switch yesterday from my orange tiger hat to my Blue tiger hat. Took 8 inning before they realized I had switched. ESPN gamecast was driving me batty. That bottom of the 8th took forever tp update walking 🐕 at the park. Then there was a 3-1 update and my next refresh was 4-3. Got back tp the car for Foley's ninth and he walked back to back hitters Than I lost radio signal lol. At least he battled and finished the comeback.
9-6 sounds better than 8-7.
3-4 at home now. Maybe bats will wake up ! Great win

The Tigers have had three different hitting staffs over the past six seasons. Last year the average length of tenure for MLB hitting coaches was about 2.4 years.

DET has averaged 2.63 runs in the first 8 innings of games through their first 118 innings.

DET team hitting profile
PU 8.3% 4th
GB 42.3% 19th
LD 27.7% 3rd
Topped 31.7 11th
sweet spot 35.1 10th
barrel 6.9% 19th

on record for hating the Flaherty signing..similar but not quite as much as hating the Boyd signing..but I think its pretty obvious Scott Harris is bad at signing SP..Jack Flaherty isn't good..he has FB issues..and they are not getting better.

Spencer Torkelson has been hitting a lot of soft fly balls and popups lately. The last five balls he's put in play, including a weak foul pop to third today. His average launch angle early on is 21.7 degrees. His career average is 12.2, last year 17. Just an observation.
His EV is down almost 5 MPH..he is late..he was late in 2022..same issues..he's a damn mess.
its always easy to blame the hitting coach..but damn..the approach and execution of DET hitters is just horrendous..thats independent of the results..which are..well what they are..impotent.

The career arc of Jack Flaherty is 4S FB dependent..
good years
2018 4S BAA .198
2019 4S BAA .194
2021 4S BAA .193
bad years
2020 .238
2022 .328
2023 .290
2024 .417

bottom 3 in this lineup is 7/68 ..the #3 hole hitter has zero barrels and zero HR..yeah..the offense is a mess..the offense was a mess last year..is it early and is the frustration clouding patience..or is there a problem..only been 2 weeks..but..changes can't be far away.

Very lucky win like several before today.

They needed a big vet bat to build around and instead they spent 30 million on Flaherty and Maeda.

Frankie Montas was 5 for Cincy.

The issue is and will continue to be Chris Illitch.

Prime Dave Dombrowski would have us a lineup with about 50 million more in payroll

You're either invested in winning or you aren't

And the Guardians came back with three runs for a win. At least the Royals lost.

Mark Canha is batting just .196, but he has a .351 OBP, a 435 slugging percentage, and a 135 wRC+ over his 57 plate appearances. The 35-year-old outfielder has more extra-base hits than singles, and thanks to seven walks and four HBPs has reached base 10 times without taking the bat off his shoulder.

Fangraphs

Báez's slump-busting homer sparks four-run rally in finale win.
Tigers official site

Webvideo Highlights of the Tigers come from behind win over the twins.

Boxscore.

Tigers 4 - Twins 3: Javy’s homer sparks comeback as the Tigers split the series.
The bats took a long time to heat up, but the Tigers just outplayed the Twins defensively.
BYBTB

Tigers rally past Twins to salvage series split.
Detnews

Detroit Tigers come alive in 8th inning for 4-3 win over Minnesota Twins to split series.
Freep

They needed a big vet bat to build around and instead they spent 30 million on Flaherty and Maeda.

Frankie Montas was 5 for Cincy.

The issue is and will continue to be Chris Illitch.

Prime Dave Dombrowski would have us a lineup with about 50 million more in payroll

You're either invested in winning or you aren't
Always easier than said. Personally they needed more than 1 vet bat. But who? And would they have come. Btw, Frankie Montas was coming off a season ending injury.

Always easier than said. Personally they needed more than 1 vet bat. But who? And would they have come. Btw, Frankie Montas was coming off a season ending injury.

Why would we be able to get pitchers but not hitters?

I'm not suggesting Ohtani or something lol.. just something more than vet cast offs

Hell...bring back Jeimer.

Why would we be able to get pitchers but not hitters?

I'm not suggesting Ohtani or something lol.. just something more than vet cast offs

Hell...bring back Jeimer.
No idea. But they did say they didn't want to block some of the minor leaguers for future years. And the brass obviously thought we'd be better than we've been. I think they just assumed the young guys would all take a step forward.. And it seems little I doesn't want to spend the money..

MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

Today, it’s about quick hits – bits of news that catch my radar during the week as well as connecting the dots re ongoing stories. Even the quirky.
So let’s get to it! Here are the most interesting topics that hit my radar over the past week………..

Back