Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 3: Lions @ Cardinals Thread

grandy

Detroit Lions (0-2) @ Arizona Cardinals (2-0)

Previews
Pride of Detroit
Yahoo
CBS Sports
ESPN
Revenge of the Birds

Injury Report
Link (from Friday)

Lions
TE Hunter Bryant (hamstring) - OUT
CB Desmond Trufant (hamstring) - Doubtful
S C.J. Moore (calf) - Questionable
WR Kenny Golladay (hamstring) - Questionable
RT Halapoulivaati Vaitai (foot) - Questionable
DT Nick Williams (shoulder) - No injury designation

Cardinals
WR Christian Kirk (groin) - OUT
C Mason Cole (hamstring) - OUT
CB Dre Kirkpatrick (neck) - Questionable
DL Jordan Phillips (ankle) - Questionable

Series History
Link
The Lions are 35-28-6 against the Cardinals
Last Game: 9/8/2019, Lions 27 Cardinals 27
Last Win: 12/9/2018, Lions 17 Cardinals 3
Last Loss: 10/11/2015, Cardinals 42 Lions 17
Last Loss in Arizona: 11/16/2014, Cardinals 14 Lions 6
Recent Games: The Lions are undefeated in the last 3 games

Last edited:
Football Outsiders Stats

Ranks in parentheses. For info on acronyms and definitions, click on the links.

Team Efficiency

Total DVOA (Defense-adjusted Value Over Average)
Arizona 0.2% (17th)
Detroit -21.3% (24th)

Weighted DVOA (DVOA adjusted for recent games)
Arizona 0.8% (15th)
Detroit -2.2% (18th)

Offense DVOA
Detroit -1.3% (16th)
Arizona -8.9% (23rd)

Defense DVOA
Arizona -9.5% (8th)
Detroit 22.6% (31st)

Special Teams DVOA
Detroit 2.6% (7th)
Arizona -0.5% (15th)

Team Offense

Weighted Offense DVOA
Detroit 0.6% (14th)
Arizona 0.4% (15th)

Pass Offense
Detroit 1.7% (20th)
Arizona -3.2% (24th)

Rush Offense
Arizona 0.1% (10th)
Detroit -2.6% (12th)

Team Defense

Weighted Defense DVOA
Arizona -1.6% (14th)
Detroit 3.6% (24th)

Pass Defense
Arizona -8.9% (7th)
Detroit 24.5% (24th)

Rush Defense
Arizona -10.4% (19th)
Detroit 20.2% (32nd)

Offensive Lines

Adjusted Line Yards
Detroit 4.38 (15th)
Arizona 4.02 (22nd)

Power Success
Arizona 86% (7th)
Detroit 75% (9th)

Stuffed
Arizona 13% (10th)
Detroit 16% (16th)

2nd Level Yards
Detroit 1.14 (19th)
Arizona 1.00 (23rd)

Open Field Yards
Detroit 0.98 (8th)
Arizona 0.35 (17th)

Adjusted Sack Rate
Detroit 7.9% (21st)
Arizona 8.7% (24th)

Defensive Lines

Adjusted Line Yards
Arizona 4.76 (23rd)
Detroit 5.81 (32nd)

Power Success
Detroit 50% (7th)
Arizona 67% (18th)

Stuffed
Arizona 18% (11th)
Detroit 8% (30th)

2nd Level Yards
Arizona 1.87 (31st)
Detroit 1.96 (32nd)

Open Field Yards
Arizona 0.33 (12th)
Detroit 1.80 (30th)

Adjusted Sack Rate
Arizona 9.8% (5th)
Detroit 3.0% (28th)

Drive Stats

Net Yards/Drive
Arizona -1.13 (17th)
Detroit -8.82 (29th)

Net Points/Drive
Arizona 0.66 (9th)
Detroit -0.91 (26th)

Net DSR (Drive Success Rate)
Arizona 0.066 (5th)
Detroit -0.066 (28th)

Offense Yards/Drive
Detroit 32.00 (22nd)
Arizona 31.96 (23rd)

Offense Points/Drive
Arizona 2.25 (17th)
Detroit 1.91 (25th)

Offense DSR
Arizona 0.739 (18th)
Detroit 0.710 (26th)

Defense Yards/Drive
Arizona 33.09 (10th)
Detroit 40.82 (22nd)

Defense Points/Drive
Arizona 1.59 (2nd)
Detroit 2.82 (24th)

Defense DSR
Arizona 0.673 (3rd)
Detroit 0.776 (19th)

I optimisticly have us going 7-9 still. But i hope we go 3-13, blow it up.... and get trevor Lawrence.

Well, it's going to depend who finishes in the bottom 2 in the NFL. Personally, I am equally as high on Justin Fields as Trevor Lawrence; I think they are both franchise QBs.

Which of these teams that are just as shitty as the Lions would take a QB?

Jax - Yes (Minshew)
Carolina- Yes (Bridgewater)
Cincinatti- No (Burrow)
Minnesota- Probably No (Cousins)
NYJ- No (Darnold)
Philly- No (Wentz)
Denver- Probably No (Lock)
NYG- No (Jones)
Atlanta- Yes (M. Ryan)

So quite honestly, the competition is not as fierce to land a top-flight QB IF the team were to finish in the bottom 3 or 4- most of the super shitty teams are not going to take a QB. I think its between Jacksonville, Carolina, Atlanta, Detroit, and maybe Minnesota/Denver.

Well, it's going to depend who finishes in the bottom 2 in the NFL. Personally, I am equally as high on Justin Fields as Trevor Lawrence; I think they are both franchise QBs.

Which of these teams that are just as shitty as the Lions would take a QB?

Jax - Yes (Minshew)
Carolina- Yes (Bridgewater)
Cincinatti- No (Burrow)
Minnesota- Probably No (Cousins)
NYJ- No (Darnold)
Philly- No (Wentz)
Denver- Probably No (Lock)
NYG- No (Jones)
Atlanta- Yes (M. Ryan)

So quite honestly, the competition is not as fierce to land a top-flight QB IF the team were to finish in the bottom 3 or 4- most of the super shitty teams are not going to take a QB. I think its between Jacksonville, Carolina, Atlanta, Detroit, and maybe Minnesota/Denver.

I think everyone of those teams besides the Bengals would take Trevor if they were in the position.

They just restructured Stafford. Pushing more money to future years. But a new gm could want a change..will see how the season plays out

I optimisticly have us going 7-9 still. But i hope we go 3-13, blow it up.... and get trevor Lawrence.

Like usual they'll win just enough to miss the top picks....probably 7-10 range.

I think everyone of those teams besides the Bengals would take Trevor if they were in the position.

Have to disagree. I just do not see the teams that recently took a 1st round QB doing it again (Jets, Giants). Minnesota feels pretty committed to Cousins, and I just do not see them being at the bottom- they'll start winning games- too much talent. Don't see Philly giving up on Wentz yet. Denver is a maybe, I think they really like Drew Lock, but they may.

I could see the Colts joining this list and replacing a team, and they absolutely would need someone. I could also see Miami and the Chargers moving into the bottom 5 (replacing two teams from this list), and they would not be drafting a QB.

And to LKP's point- I don't really care if the Lions restructured Stafford's contract. If they are picking in the top 2, the expectation is that there will be an entirely new regime. And it would be an absolute abomination if they did not take one of Lawrence/Fields and did not move on from Stafford.

Stafford's gone after this season, unless they do something miraculous in the next few weeks. Regardless of whether or not he is the main reason this franchise sucks is irrelevant; he's been here like 13 fucking years, hasn't won a playoff game, and it's time to start over.

Last edited:
Have to disagree. I just do not see the teams that recently took a 1st round QB doing it again (Jets, Giants). Minnesota feels pretty committed to Cousins, and I just do not see them being at the bottom- they'll start winning games- too much talent. Don't see Philly giving up on Wentz yet. Denver is a maybe, I think they really like Drew Lock, but they may.

I could see the Colts joining this list and replacing a team, and they absolutely would need someone. I could also see Miami and the Chargers moving into the bottom 5 (replacing two teams from this list), and they would not be drafting a QB.

And to LKP's point- I don't really care if the Lions restructured Stafford's contract. If they are picking in the top 2, the expectation is that there will be an entirely new regime. And it would be an absolute abomination if they did not take one of Lawrence/Fields and did not move on from Stafford.

Stafford's gone after this season, unless they do something miraculous in the next few weeks. Regardless of whether or not he is the main reason this franchise sucks is irrelevant; he's been here like 13 fucking years, hasn't won a playoff game, and it's time to start over.

If there are teams ahead of the Lions that don't need a QB doesn't mean that a team could jump the Lions to get a franchise QB. These are the teams that would have interest in Lawrence if he is the stud that everyone says he could be. I would think they would have to be picking top 10 so some are likely out of that unless they really mortgaged the future.

teams likely to be picking top 10

Jags
Panthers
Vikings (that D may be worse than the Lions)
Broncos
Redskins (they may not be sold on Haskins since there is new management)
Giants (if they go 3-13 they may move on)
Jets (Darnold year 3...slight possibility they would move on)

teams that are probably too good but if something odd happens...

49ers (with their injuries...they could but I doubt it)
Colts (desperately need a QB)
Bears
Saints (I doubt they will finish bad enough but could use a new QB)

Wentz maybe the only other one that could be the reason that the eagles don't take Trevor. He is their Stafford, good enough to show flashes but most likely won't get them a championship. I agree this should be Stafford's last year year. I don't blame him but a new GM should start this team over. I wanted Quintricia to be fired last year and then to trade Stafford and get future picks to grab Trevor because I knew this team would be picking top 10 again.

Wentz maybe the only other one that could be the reason that the eagles don't take Trevor. He is their Stafford, good enough to show flashes but most likely won't get them a championship. I agree this should be Stafford's last year year. I don't blame him but a new GM should start this team over. I wanted Quintricia to be fired last year and then to trade Stafford and get future picks to grab Trevor because I knew this team would be picking top 10 again.

For sure. And to be honest, I do not think we need to worry too much about what other teams are doing- the Lions are one of, if not the worst teams in the entire league. I will be stunned if they win 4 games.

I think the Vikings and Jets would dump Cousins and Darnold in a heartbeat for Lawrence.

The Giants might dump Jones, depending on how 2020 goes for him.

Lions certainly would draft TL.....and give him a year to sit behind Stafford.....or have a REALLY highly paid backup.

Back