Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game On!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m not watching.

Between the woke scold social justice warrior fanatics and the forced exploitation of the players to line the already bulging pockets of Walt Disney’s unworthy, unwashed heirs, I’ve had it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6PYcJ-_bOFU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=34w8xqFz3eU

Okay, just kidding.

@3:19

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Se7N7W2wI

Go Blue!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nvH8AhuAJnU

Last edited:

dont-even-care-ron-swanson.gif

On the shitty front, it looks as though Dylan Mcaffrey(transfer) and Nico Collins(declaring for draft) will be opting out.

Then why are you here. This is a sports forum.

And by the way, these kids aren't being exploited. They do it because they love it. If college football didn't have all these bowl games and sponsors and whatnot, the kids would still be playing.

Of course they would. And wealth opportunities have also been created for the players in recent years, as a byproduct of the overall new profit opportunities for sponsors and media companies, I pointed that out on another thread.

Then why are you here. This is a sports forum.

So I can offer my opinions on the shortcomings of CFB.

And by the way, these kids aren't being exploited. They do it because they love it. If college football didn't have all these bowl games and sponsors and whatnot, the kids would still be playing.

Corporations and universities are making millions off the efforts of these kids, who are making pennies. It's the definition of exploitation. That they love the sport is not relevant, except to state that their love of the sport makes them exploitable.

Last edited:
"these kids would be playing football anyways" ... really?

or just going to college and enjoying it without having to practice 6-7 days a week for hours each day? or working?

Last edited by a moderator:

or just going to college and enjoying it without having to practice 6-7 days a week for hours each day? or working?

I wonder how many players on the UM team would be able to go to UM (or even get in) without football? 10% a good guess??

So I can offer my opinions on the shortcomings of CFB.

Corporations and universities are making millions off the efforts of these kids, who are making pennies. It's the definition of exploitation. That they love the sport is not relevant, except to state that their love of the sport makes them exploitable.

So, check this out because most of the kids on the team are out of state. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/19/it-...of Michigan's,$54,794 for juniors and seniors. Out of state tuition is on average $51,000 yearly at The University of Michigan, instate $15,500. These scholarship athletes are getting plenty for 4- 5 yrs of college. That piece of paper they take with them will determine their worth in the job market going forward in life. Ask the kids who don't have a scholarship if they would like one, or would they rather just enjoy paying their student loans back with a huge smile in the future. I'll take that "exploitation" for a thousand, Alex!!

Yeah, really!!

The kids that attend Ivy League Schools would like a word with you.

I'll edit to add the walk-on's, also.

Last edited:
So, check this out because most of the kids on the team are out of state. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/19/it-...of Michigan's,$54,794 for juniors and seniors. Out of state tuition is on average $51,000 yearly at The University of Michigan, instate $15,500. These scholarship athletes are getting plenty for 4- 5 yrs of college. That piece of paper they take with them will determine their worth in the job market going forward in life. Ask the kids who don't have a scholarship if they would like one, or would they rather just enjoy paying their student loans back with a huge smile in the future. I'll take that "exploitation" for a thousand, Alex!!

I submit that is the price of admission for compensation. They should get a much larger proportion than a scholarship. M football net-profited $75MM in this report.

"Football is drudgery." Bo Schembechler.

And not all scholarships are created equal. Link

Whoa whoa whoa... so words actually have meanings, and you can't just make up whatever you want and say it on this message board?!?

The answer to the first part is it depends - when the words are figurative and hyperbolic, not so much, and the answer to the second part is, of course you can ? people do it all the time.

I don?t get many opportunities to counterpoint both you and byco at the same time.

I touched on this in post number 64 of the thread with your poll, and I?ll expand on it here.

The players are neither working for peanuts-obviously that was idiomatic, I get that, nor are they being exploited.

The marquee players who generate the wealth for the entities that you and byco speak of don?t stick around long anymore. They create or expand a brand for themselves, and are able to head off and avail themselves of relatively monumental wealth.

The ones who stick around for four years and have no pro football opportunity going forward ? they?re not really the ones who people are tuning in to watch nor are they really creating the vast wealth. They?re the supporting cast.

They?re getting the same thing scholarship athletes always got - a valuable scholarship and the marketable prestige of having played big-time college football.

I see that before I was able to get to this, Tom Dalton 22 has already made some of these points.

I submit that is the price of admission for compensation. They should get a much larger proportion than a scholarship. M football net-profited $75MM in this report.

"Football is drudgery." Bo Schembechler.

And not all scholarships are created equal. Link

I get that, but you seem to forget that money goes to all the other sports, too. It doesn't go directly to Michigan Football. It goes to funding all the other athletic venues the university has. It directly correlates to more sports being able to be played and opportunities for kids to attend university by playing softball, baseball, tennis, and so on and so on. Football is the circle of life.

https://sites.psu.edu/gpintocivicissuesblog2019/2019/02/14/civic-issues-blog-2/

Last edited:
I get that, but you seem to forget that money goes to all the other sports, too. It doesn't go directly to Michigan Football. It goes to funding all the other athletic venues the university has. It directly correlates to more sports being able to be played and opportunities for kids to attend university by playing softball, baseball, tennis, and so on and so on. Football is the circle of life.

I'm aware of this. I'm also aware that it already spends $5MM on student aid for football players. That's $41,000 per player on average. An extra million would offer these kids $10,000 each. An extra two million averages out to $17,000. They should also get a % of bowl revenue. It could entice some kids who are opting out to play in them.

And the money need not come from the universities. The corporations that make the lions' share of the revenue can/should contribute.

Back