Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game On!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm aware of this. I'm also aware that it already spends $5MM on student aid for football players. That's $41,000 per player on average. An extra million would offer these kids $10,000 each. An extra two million averages out to $17,000. They should also get a % of bowl revenue. It could entice some kids who are opting out to play in them.

And the money need not come from the universities. The corporations that make the lions' share of the revenue can/should contribute.

I think that's a great idea concerning guys not wanting to play the bowl games.

I'm sorry, maybe I shouldn't have assumed...

everyone posting here lives on planet Earth, in the United States of America, right?

I was being sarcastic. It seems like everyone has moved on...the media to BLM , riots, protests, "innocent" black people getting shot by police, and the election.

Heck, even on this board...nobody talks Covid anymore.

What happened to the good old days when all we had to talk about was a pandemic?

Last edited:
I was being sarcastic. It seems like everyone has moved on...the media to BLM , riots, protests, "innocent" black people getting shot by police, and the election.

Heck, even on this board...nobody talks Covid anymore.

What happened to the good old days when all we had to talk about was a pandemic?

I know, right?

I don?t even bother hanging a mask dangling from one ear anymore when I?m out and about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QoksOSI0djk

My decision to stop watching SNL decades ago is yet again validated.

My decision to stop watching SNL decades ago is yet again validated.

Just the opening joke is pretty funny…”for what seems like forever, I was sitting around my house, drinking and complaining to anyone who would listen…then, this whole coronavirus thing happens!”

Last edited:
I submit that is the price of admission for compensation. They should get a much larger proportion than a scholarship. M football net-profited $75MM in this report.

"Football is drudgery." Bo Schembechler.

And not all scholarships are created equal. Link

Hi

Go Blue!

I know I am not going to change anyone's mind, but scholarship football players get a lot more than just a scholarship (the price of admission) for playing football for Michigan. They get all of the free food they want, which for athletes, this is a huge amount. They get free room and board including heat, water, electricity, wifi, etc etc etc. I've read accounts of some of them getting as much as a $2,000 / month stipend. I'm sure UofM is on the upper end of that spectrum. They, also, get a ton of publicity.

The ones that do not go the NFL and get a degree make a lot of connections that will carry them through life. I read a lot about former Michigan players getting jobs, because they played football and graduated from Michigan.

Last edited:
Hi

Go Blue!

I know I am not going to change anyone's mind, but scholarship football players get a lot more than just a scholarship (the price of admission) for playing football for Michigan. They get all of the free food they want, which for athletes, this is a huge amount. They get free room and board including heat, water, electricity, wifi, etc etc etc. I've read accounts of some of them getting as much as a $2,000 / month stipend. I'm sure UofM is on the upper end of that spectrum. They, also, get a ton of publicity.

The ones that do not go the NFL and get a degree make a lot of connections that will carry them through life. I read a lot about former Michigan players getting jobs, because they played football and graduated from Michigan.

Right.

And I made this point in another post, I think on another thread ? the people who bring in the bucks for the media and sponsors don?t stick around anymore. They establish and build their brand and go and play for huge money in the NFL or at least sign big NFL bonuses, after establishing themselves as a brand in college.

Ain?t playing for peanuts and they ain?t indentured servants, or whatever they?ve been being described as.

Also I think some court ruled that the players are going to be allowed to get paid for the merchandising of their own images going forward, so that?s an additional bonus.

Hi

Go Blue!

Right.

And I made this point in another post, I think on another thread ? the people who bring in the bucks for the media and sponsors don?t stick around anymore. They establish and build their brand and go and play for huge money in the NFL or at least sign big NFL bonuses, after establishing themselves as a brand in college.

Ain?t playing for peanuts and they ain?t indentured servants, or whatever they?ve been being described as.

Also I think some court ruled that the players are going to be allowed to get paid for the merchandising of their own images going forward, so that?s an additional bonus.

Right.

And I made this point in another post, I think on another thread – the people who bring in the bucks for the media and sponsors don’t stick around anymore. They establish and build their brand and go and play for huge money in the NFL or at least sign big NFL bonuses, after establishing themselves as a brand in college.

Ain’t playing for peanuts and they ain’t indentured servants, or whatever they’ve been being described as.

Also I think some court ruled that the players are going to be allowed to get paid for the merchandising of their own images going forward, so that’s an additional bonus.

I'll admit that I used to think "you're getting a free education so stop bitching". I have come around on the issue a lot over the past few years. I understand both sides of this argument. I understand that 99% of college students who aren't getting a free education would love to switch places with athletes and would consider their free ride and stipend more than adequate. I also understand the issue that players take with making the university tens of millions of dollars a year and not getting a cut when it's their body that's paying the bills. It's also fair to point out that there's only about 1% of the players who are actually going to make any money by playing their respective sport, so the vast majority of these players appreciate the free ride and all the additional resources that they have (tutors, free food, free housing etc) simply because they are athletes. Or at least they will be eventually when the reality of how pampered they are hits them.

I think it's ridiculous that it's taken this long, and I don't think it's even official yet, to allow the kids to make money off of their likeness. I understand that the concern is that boosters will just pay the top talent in the country for no actual return other than playing for their school. But that's already happening and you're not penalizing the schools that do it so just make it legal. Allowing these kids to get compensation for endorsements and jersey sales will hurt no one and it will only help the school's bottom line.

Last edited:
I'll admit that I used to think "you're getting a free education so stop bitching". I have come around on the issue a lot over the past few years. I understand both sides of this argument. I understand that 99% of college students who aren't getting a free education would love to switch places with athletes and would consider their free ride and stipend more than adequate. I also understand the issue that players take with making the university tens of millions of dollars a year and not getting a cut when it's their body that's paying the bills. It's also fair to point out that there's only about 1% of the players who are actually going to make any money by playing their respective sport, so the vast majority of these players appreciate the free ride and all the additional resources that they have (tutors, free food, free housing etc) simply because they are athletes. Or at least they will be eventually when the reality of how pampered they are hits them.

I think it's ridiculous that it's taken this long, and I don't think it's even official yet, to allow the kids to make money off of their likeness. I understand that the concern is that boosters will just pay the top talent in the country for no actual return other than playing for their school. But that's already happening and you're not penalizing the schools that do it so just make it legal. Allowing these kids to get compensation for endorsements and jersey sales will hurt no one and it will only help the school's bottom line.

The "body paying the bills" argument really only applies to football players. What is that...about 85 out of the 1000 student athletes at Michigan?

The name, image and likeness probably applies to even fewer athletes. Maybe a few football players and several men's B-ball players. It is my guess that the huge money payouts will be given to mens basketball players. That's where the endorsement money is in professional sports. Football players don't really make shit in endorsements compared to NBA players.

Here's how I see things shaking out. 5 star recruits in football will be bid on during the recruiting process. Probably some 4 stars as well...some Ford dealership that loves UM will throw some coin at a recruit to get him to come to UM. Star basketball players will make huge money with handshake deals to sign with shoe companies or agents. The other 950+ athletes won't make a dime.

It's not that they aren't given anything of significant value. It's that they produce something of value, but only in this monopoly system, and the people in charge of the money get to dictate take it or leave it terms. Most industries, we don't allow those kinds or arrangements. It's only allowed here, because we've agreed that it isn't work and they aren't employees. Talking about whether or not they are compensated enough while at the same time relying on the fact that they aren't employees is sort of talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Every other professional sport has an organized subsidiary league and/or an alternative to college athletics, save football. Semi-pro does not count. Offer these kids an affiliated alternative to college that pays them to play football. Draft them while they are in college but do not demand that they leave school until they choose to.

Back