Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Global Warming

The global average temperature in 2011 was 14.52 degrees Celsius (58.14 degrees Fahrenheit). According to NASA scientists, this was the ninth warmest year in 132 years of recordkeeping, despite the cooling influence of the La Ni?a atmospheric and oceanic circulation pattern and relatively low solar irradiance. Since the 1970s, each subsequent decade has gotten hotter?and 9 of the 10 hottest years on record have occurred in the twenty-first century.

http://www.earth-policy.org/indicators/C51

http://www.wnd.com/2009/12/118346/

I read they said the climate is warming...yet the tempatures havent rose in 15 years???

record highs in Michigan just this week.

The only info you need to know is that we spend billions every year on tracking salt movements underwater...if climate change wasnt an issue than we wouldnt be doing this.

Fact: The Sahara Desert used to be a vast rainforest.

Fact 2: If the polar ice caps keep melting at the rate they are on were the next Sahara Desert.

This is without even thinking bigger picture like:

Mars used to have an atmosphere....then solar winds blew it away. Umm....were closer to the sun than mars so we better hope our magnetic field stays strong

Venus has an atmosphere and its air is now filled with toxic gases due to a greenhouse effect

Thinking these things are impossible and cant happen to us is completely ignorant when its happened to both of our closest neighbors in the solar system.

Last edited:
record highs in Michigan just this week.

The only info you need to know is that we spend billions every year on tracking salt movements underwater...if climate change wasnt an issue than we wouldnt be doing this.

Fact: The Sahara Desert used to be a vast rainforest.

Fact 2: If the polar ice caps keep melting at the rate they are on were the next Sahara Desert.

This is without even thinking bigger picture like:

Mars used to have an atmosphere....then solar winds blew it away. Umm....were closer to the sun than mars so we better hope our magnetic field stays strong

Venus has an atmosphere and its air is now filled with toxic gases due to a greenhouse effect

Thinking these things are impossible and cant happen to us is completely ignorant when its happened to both of our closest neighbors in the solar system.

FACT: Greenland was once green.....climate changes on its own

well... there was some vegetation there at one time. it sounds like the norse actually altered it by cutting trees and grazing sheep. So that's not a great example if you're trying to argue that humans have no impact on the environment.

And pointing out that climate changes naturally is missing the point: Yes, obviously it does. The continents also move, sea currents change; the earth is dynamic. The issue here is that humans are causing this particular climate change by burning so many fossil fuels, and increasing the proportions of CO2 in the atmosphere.

well... there was some vegetation there at one time. it sounds like the norse actually altered it by cutting trees and grazing sheep. So that's not a great example if you're trying to argue that humans have no impact on the environment.

And pointing out that climate changes naturally is missing the point: Yes, obviously it does. The continents also move, sea currents change; the earth is dynamic. The issue here is that humans are causing this particular climate change by burning so many fossil fuels, and increasing the proportions of CO2 in the atmosphere.

I agree with you, but Greenland was green.

Climate: "oh HAYYYYYYYY earth, i want it to be record highs today.....no no no it has nothing to do with all the emissions in the air or all the carbon that spews out of every product you make. That would be RIDICULOUS!"

Dude...theres very specific reasons why the sahara desert is now a desert and no longer a rainforest. Go read a book. The weather didnt just decide to be dry one day lol.

I agree with you, but Greenland was green.

it wasn't green. the center of the island has been covered by a huge ice sheet for tens of thousands of years. the areas around the coast had more trees & vegetation than they do now, but because the vikings tried to live like they were still in Europe & graze animals, they permanently denuded the Greenland coast of said vegetation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Come on!! You can't post denying climate change and then say that it changes on its own without skipping a beat. What happened to your 20 years of observation?

Last edited:
it wasn't green. the center of the island has been covered by a huge ice sheet for tens of thousands of years. the areas around the coast had more trees & vegetation than they do now, but because the vikings tried to live like they were still in Europe & graze animals, they permanently denuded the Greenland coast of said vegetation.

Actually the ice sheet has covered Greenland for more like hundreds of thousands of years, but hey who's counting?

Actually the ice sheet has covered Greenland for more like hundreds of thousands of years, but hey who's counting?

Not me, obviously. I just went with a more conservative estimate, because I knew that was true at least.

I'm guessing it's been covered with an ice sheet since at least the time it ended up at it's current position on the globe through plate tectonics.

Come on!! You can't post denying climate change and then say that it changes on its own without skipping a beat. What happened to your 20 years of observation?

you haven't been posting much lately. been reading Krugman's book like I suggested?

you haven't been posting much lately. been reading Krugman's book like I suggested?
No, but I'm thinking about it. I started back up with the Soros book because if I get Krugman without finishing Soros, I will never finish Soros.

I deny humans cause climate change...the climate oscillates on its own

I deny humans cause climate change...the climate oscillates on its own

I understand that distinction, but if you accept that the climate oscillates on its own, why post that you've watched it for 20 years and observed that it doesn't change? On one hand, you know it changes, on the other, you argue it doesn't.

Also, denying that humans change the climate is silly, the question is "how and how much?", not if. Everybody understood that a butterfly flapping its wings could change the weather back when Jurassic Park came out, but now, tons of people seem to think that the difference in scales between a butterfly to all of humanity and weather to climate is too much of a stretch.

Personally, I think the evidence that everyone agrees on is amazing enough. The human race has changed the chemical composition of the entire atmosphere of the planet enough to measure it! That is astounding. Astounding!!

Back