Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Gonna be out a while

Get well soon brother. We need you back on the board quick, fast and in a hurry.

Wishing you all the best. I enjoy your input to the discussion here, and look forward to your return!

Again, I appreciate all the well wishes guys, but I am 100% confident this surgery will go well and I will be back as soon as I can manage to see the words on my laptop monitor again.

I've been through combat in Iraq. I have been through growing up in the best and meanest streets in the world in Motown. And I have been married... TWICE.

Ain't nothing can stop me at this point. It's gonna take being hit by a giant meteor to keep me down for an extended period... and even then the meteor is leaving the scene of the accident more broken than me.

And shit.. if something does happen to go wrong and I end up completely paralyzed.. they have pretty good voice dictation software these days, so I'll be right back on this board trying to sound like the smartest guy on it.

HAHA!

Glad you're alive, Ink. Best wishes on a healthy and fast recovery.

Appreciate all the well wishes guys.

I should be okay, I didn't even know I was injured. I went to the doc because the insurance company asked me too.

Apparently I have a piece of my neck broken off that is pretty jagged, and they are afraid it could sever part of the nerves in my spine, which would leave me probably quadriplegic. It's kind of weird knowing that one wrong turn of my head, and my wife is wiping my hind parts the rest of my life, but I'm not in pain, and there's no real discomfort aside from the normal bruising you'd expect after being hit by a drunk.

Hard to wrap my head around.

Tsmith, I sent you a private message on the board last weekend after the accident to tell you I wouldn't be able to make the game. Didn't know I was going to be in surgery the next day yet, but I knew my vehicle was fubar, and I couldn't drive to Phoenix.

Sorry brother, I was looking forward to it a lot. To be honest, missing you at the game is pissing me off a lot more than the surgery is.

Maybe we can hook up for the SB, when the lions return to Phoenix

Get well ink, glad to see you're in good spirits. I have faith you'll be back on your feet in no time after the surgery. I give you a Mike Utley thumbs up, well I guess technically you should be giving it to us, but you get the picture...

Best wishes on a speedy recovery, Ink. Now for what some may consider the inappropriate part:

“The last thing he said to me, 'Caldwell,' he said, 'sometime when the team is up against it and the breaks are beating the boys, tell them to go out there with all they've got and win just one for the Inkfreq.' "

Sory to disapint you ll, but Im still here and kikking.

Made it throew the sugary just fine. Litte groggy still, but a-oky.

Sory to disapint you ll, but Im still here and kikking.

Made it throew the sugary just fine. Litte groggy still, but a-oky.

You are a dedicated Detroit Sports Forum member...still posting right after surgery!

Based on your post...looks like they gave you some good drugs!

You are a dedicated Detroit Sports Forum member...still posting right after surgery!

Based on your post...looks like they gave you some good drugs!

Wow... a day later, a little sleep, and a clearer head, and that post looks... just wow.

I think I can read that if I try hard. Trust me, it made sense when I posted it, and looked correct too.

Great news, I had to sit by two hot blondes at the game...

Oh sure, rub it in Tom. I had to get my dressings on my neck changed by a nurse that I can only describe as greatly resembling Beulah Ballbricker from the Porky's movies who key shoving her cleavage in my face so she could reach around to get the back of my neck.

I'd say a day at an NFL game with two hot blondes has me beat by a long shot.

Now i get to spend my day in a weird little machine that gets moving my legs back and forth for me, so they can keep the circulation going to my lower extremities. It's 34 degrees here and I already have swamp crotch from the friction.

And my laptop is bouncing all over the place from this infernal machine while I try to type. I may make more typos today than yesterday, haha.

Last edited:
So, just an update for anyone who cares...

The doctor says I do have a fracture in my 4th and 5th cervical vertebrae. A little higher, and I would probably be hosed, but as it turns out, it's an ugly place to break something, but not un-recoverable.

They removed a piece of bone roughly the size and shape of an old native american arrow head from my neck. No Tony, before you even ask, they didn't even give me the option to keep it in a little jar or anything.

They said there was some severing of the nerves in my neck from the jagged piece, but it will probably amount to nothing more than minor tingling in my arms or legs, probably not both.

I'm going to have to go through some rehab with the physical terrorists on the neck, but all in all, I came out of this pretty damned lucky, except for having to miss a Lions game. Sorry about that one Tom, I really am.

I can feel all my fingers and toes, although they are clearly numb from the pain killers, but that's a good sign. Means I'm gonna walk and all that just fine.

Big sigh of relief on my part, gotta say.

Back