Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Good thing Leyland does the opposite of whats recommended here

beez

Because now they're in the World Series! Delmon n Coke...who woulda guessed?

Why? What would we have recommended with either? We knew Demon was playing, we just didn't want him in the OF and batting 5th. I still don't.

As far as Coke, he sucked. Every baseball fan in the world saw him suck this season. But I'm giddy as hell he pitched well against the NYY. Of course all are pitchers did outside Valverde.

Why? What would we have recommended with either? We knew Demon was playing, we just didn't want him in the OF and batting 5th. I still don't.

As far as Coke, he sucked. Every baseball fan in the world saw him suck this season. But I'm giddy as hell he pitched well against the NYY. Of course all are pitchers did outside Valverde.

Yah, no shit. We wanted Leyland to handle his bullpen better during the season. Its more like Leyland finally did listen to us, because that is finally what he is doing. We wanted Leyland to try someone else at the 5 spot. Trying someone else for an extended period of time at the 5 wouldn't have any effect on right now. Again, Huh?

Leyland is notorious for taking longer to figure out things than anyone else on the planet. I've known for a while that Coke isn't a starter and that you don't bring him in when you have RISP. It took Leyland 3 years to figure this stuff out. He should've listened to the fans here a long time ago...Boesch, INge, Raburn, Valverde, the list goes on and on. At least, now he actually seems to have it figured out, but I expect that at least once during the world series, he reverts to form.

Last edited:
Some of you crack me up....you think Leyland is actually doing what the fans want. He knows what he is doing. He manages the team not for each game but for the good of the team and the clubhouse. Leaving DY in the 5 hole all year....how'd that turn out for the Tigers in the ALCS? Like it or not Leyland knows what he is doing.

Leyland knows what he is doing alright, it just takes him 4 months to figure it out. lol

Some of you crack me up....you think Leyland is actually doing what the fans want. He knows what he is doing. He manages the team not for each game but for the good of the team and the clubhouse. Leaving DY in the 5 hole all year....how'd that turn out for the Tigers in the ALCS? Like it or not Leyland knows what he is doing.

If he really know what he was doing he'll leave DY on the bench all year and play him in the playoffs.

And maybe I'm mis-remembering but DY's playoff heroic's didn't really seem to matter whether he was batting 5 or 8.

He just doesn't like screwing with the lineup. For example, if Prince took a day off and Kelly was his replacement, Kelly would bat 4. That's not greatness but dumbestry.

It's not like Coke has been lights out so far. We were screaming at him as if he were Valverde the one night.

And leaving DY in the 5 hole for 162 games then he finally produces and TomDalton thinks that proves Leyland knows/knew what he's doing? That might be the single stupidest thing I have ever read on this board.....and Chico used to post here, that's saying a lot.

Delmons hot, good for him; good for us. Does not change what happened in the first 162 games.

Same with Coke, I'm glad he's doing better [really glad], but I still cringe when I see him enter a game, and or pitch to a hitter batting righty.

It's not like Coke has been lights out so far. We were screaming at him as if he were Valverde the one night.

And leaving DY in the 5 hole for 162 games then he finally produces and TomDalton thinks that proves Leyland knows/knew what he's doing? That might be the single stupidest thing I have ever read on this board.....and Chico used to post here, that's saying a lot.

Delmons hot, good for him; good for us. Does not change what happened in the first 162 games.

Same with Coke, I'm glad he's doing better [really glad], but I still cringe when I see him enter a game, and or pitch to a hitter batting righty.

Like I have said all year.....the Tigers don't have any better options for the 5 hole. JL left him there and they are 4 wins away from a WS title.

Like I have said all year.....the Tigers don't have any better options for the 5 hole. JL left him there and they are 4 wins away from a WS title.

What does leaving him in the 5 spot, all year, have to do with being in the WS? I'll put it this way, The Tigers are in the world series in spite of Leyland.

What does leaving him in the 5 spot, all year, have to do with being in the WS? I'll put it this way, The Tigers are in the world series in spite of Leyland.

Again...some of you dopes don't understand. Line up cards and pitching changes are only a small fraction of what it means to be the manager of an MLB team.

Again...some of you dopes don't understand. Line up cards and pitching changes are only a small fraction of what it means to be the manager of an MLB team.

And yet you're insisting that Leyland having Young 5th all year was some brilliant masterstroke which catapulted us to the WS, then in the next breath saying lineups are not significant.

And then you say others are dopes. :nuts:

That's actually highly debatable.

Young following Fielder = lots of GIDP, given Delmon's proclivity to hit balls weakly on the ground, plus his lack of any speed whatsoever.

Andy Dirks would have been a better option, higher OBP., fast enough that maybe dome balls hit on the ground won't be simple GIDP's. Except that would have broken a stupid rule of Smokes...no back-to-back lefties.

I'm tired of hearing excuses made for Delmon based on the "we don't have anyone better" argument. Because it's total bullshit.

Last edited:
And yet you're insisting that Leyland having Young 5th all year was some brilliant masterstroke which catapulted us to the WS, then in the next breath saying lineups are not significant.

And then you say others are dopes. :nuts:

Brilliant masterstroke? Wow....you have some serious comprehension issues. Here is what I wrote about DY...

"Leaving DY in the 5 hole all year....how'd that turn out for the Tigers in the ALCS?"

"Like I have said all year.....the Tigers don't have any better options for the 5 hole. JL left him there and they are 4 wins away from a WS title."

Brilliant masterstroke? Wow....you have some serious comprehension issues. Here is what I wrote about DY...

"Leaving DY in the 5 hole all year....how'd that turn out for the Tigers in the ALCS?"

"Like I have said all year.....the Tigers don't have any better options for the 5 hole. JL left him there and they are 4 wins away from a WS title."

I'm going to add your original post with no relevant parts edited out:

Some of you crack me up....you think Leyland is actually doing what the fans want. He knows what he is doing.

Leaving DY in the 5 hole all year....how'd that turn out for the Tigers in the ALCS? Like it or not Leyland knows what he is doing.

So don't even pretend you were not saying that Leyland leaving DY in the 5 hole was "Leyland knowing what he was doing" because it led us to the WS.

"Playing Raburn for 3 months, Leyland knowing what he was doing and now 4 wins from winning the world series" -- Tom Dalton

I'm going to add your original post with no relevant parts edited out:

So don't even pretend you were not saying that Leyland leaving DY in the 5 hole was "Leyland knowing what he was doing" because it led us to the WS.

You took that quote to mean leaving DY in the 5 hole is the reason the Tigers are in the WS?

You took that quote to mean leaving DY in the 5 hole is the reason the Tigers are in the WS?

No, I took it as you meant it: That Leyland knows what he's doing, as proof because we won the ALCS, and therefore he knew what he was doing with Delmon. Because obviously Delmon in the 5th slot = win.

No, I took it as you meant it: That Leyland knows what he's doing, as proof because we won the ALCS, and therefore he knew what he was doing with Delmon. Because obviously Delmon in the 5th slot = win.

Yup....Leyland does know what he is doing, Delmon in the 5 hole has worked out and the Tigers are in the WS. But...some of you still think Leyland is a moron and has no clue what he is doing.

Yup....Leyland does know what he is doing, Delmon in the 5 hole has worked out and the Tigers are in the WS. But...some of you still think Leyland is a moron and has no clue what he is doing.

I have never been the guy to insist Leyland is a moron. But let's face it, he does some stupid stuff. [like all managers]

But you are high off your ass if you think "Delmon in the 5th hole" has worked.

Delmon in the 5 spot was a disaster. The fact that Delmon suddenly got hot in the playoffs does not change that.

162 games...or 9 games? hmmm.

I have never been the guy to insist Leyland is a moron. But let's face it, he does some stupid stuff. [like all managers]

But you are high off your ass if you think "Delmon in the 5th hole" has worked.

Delmon in the 5 spot was a disaster. The fact that Delmon suddenly got hot in the playoffs does not change that.

162 games...or 9 games? hmmm.

I still think that there were no better options at the 5. You say Dirks but he was better suited for #2 (where he had the majority of his ABs).

Back