Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Gotta love that skinny M hat Jim!

Sbee

He's following in Bo's footsteps as far as his bowl record. It's comical that the coach of a team wears different gear than the rest of the staff, kind of speaks volumes of that program. You don't see coaches at OSU, FSU, ND, Florida, Bama, etc, trying to live in the past the way that Michigan does.

Michigan fans just need to come to grips with the fact that they are much closer to Iowa in performance than OSU.

One of the more comical things i've heard from one of my Michigan friends was that OSU, Bama, Clemson, etc do whatever it takes to win and Michigan won't go there. I asked if that includes hiring family members of top recruits to high paying jobs, oversigning to a level that the big ten has never seen (UM signed 105 players in the last 4 years, bama 102, MSU 85), setting up a major specifically for athletes but claiming to be the Harvard of the Midwest, cutting committed kids, etc. They do all of the shady stuff that those other schools do but try to maintain some kind of moral high ground.

Get ready for the hype machine to start again on January 8th though.

I wonder if they'll have anything special planned for the 15th anniversary of their last big ten title.

I haven't heard or seen a peep from anyone I know who's a UM fan since the Florida game. I think that OSU game destroyed them unlike any other. But yes I suppose especially with Urban retiring the possibilities for the future are endless as always.

As for not stooping to the OSU, Bama, Clemson, level. I wasn't aware that recruiting had been an issue. But yes Bama and Clemson (and now Georgia) get all the talent they need. They're such juggernauts on the field they probably don't even HAVE to cheat to get kids to want to be a part of it. But those coaches also make adjustments and take chances to stay one step ahead. Saban brings in offensive consultants and goes out and gets playmaking quarterbacks even though earlier in his career at Bama he did just fine with game managers back there. Clemson hands the reins this year to a stud 6-6 kid who can sling the ball all over the field...who happens to be a true freshman, even though they returned a guy that got them to the playoff last year (but who performed horribly in that game). That takes guts.

Fans will be fans, but that collection of UM players seemed to do a lot more talking without having accomplished anything than any team I can remember (and as it turns out once it became clear they still weren't going to accomplish anything many just turned their attention to the NFL). Better to just put your head down, keep your mouth shut, go to work, and come back when you've actually done something. But I suppose that all is a reflection of the coach.

Last edited:
Nice hot take I just heard on 97.1, they lost to OSU because they were overconfident. Higdon guaranteed a win and the revenge tour BS, I guess it just doesn't dawn on people that when you lose by 4 td's that the other team may simply be better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nice hot take I just heard on 97.1, they lost to OSU because they were overconfident. Higdon guaranteed a win and the revenge tour BS, I guess it just doesn't dawn on people that when you lose by 4 td's that the other team may simply be better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OSU got crushed by Purdue and needed a blown 2pt conversion to survive against Maryland... they were not 4 TD's better than us, but who knows what happened in Columbus. Lousy coaching and preparation by Harbaugh and his staff are my guess.

regardless, to confirm what MSUMatt said, it really did kill my enthusiasm for this team and coaching staff. to come in with (what had been) the nation's #1 defense and shit the bed against what looked to be one of Urban's weaker OSU teams... just baffling.

Sorry to interrupt your circle jerk.

did you get your new OSU hat and shirt from a Walmart in Ohio?

I have the same hat and I also have the skinny block S hat that the baseball team and football coaches wore when I was at MSU (the all-green one, not the white one with the green visor). It's at least 27 years old and the most important piece of clothing I own. Not that it's that important, I don't obsess over it but I care more about it than just about anything else. I've already told my wife, if it doesn't get lost, it's to go in my casket or be kept with my ashes if I'm cremated.

I prefer the skinny lettered hat for both teams still - they both look much better than the big block letters. Seems like a silly thing to be critical of or somehow try to link it to their performance or dysfunction. I'm not trying to say Harbaugh isn't a douche - he is a massive douche so go ahead and knock 'em all you want for his slightly less shady recruiting practices and childish nonsense he plays with rivals but honestly, who cares about the hat? It's a hat and there's something to be said about tradition over branding. I thought Hollis was an ass and an idiot for trying to redesign the Spartan helmet logo.

Last edited:
I have the same hat and I also have the skinny block S hat that the baseball team and football coaches wore when I was at MSU (the all-green one, not the white one with the green visor). It's at least 27 years old and the most important piece of clothing I own. Not that it's that important, I don't obsess over it but I care more about it than just about anything else. I've already told my wife, if it doesn't get lost, it's to go in my casket or be kept with my ashes if I'm cremated.

I prefer the skinny lettered hat for both teams still - they both look much better than the big block letters. Seems like a silly thing to be critical of or somehow try to link it to their performance or dysfunction. I'm not trying to say Harbaugh isn't a douche - he is a massive douche so go ahead and knock 'em all you want for his slightly less shady recruiting practices and childish nonsense he plays with rivals but honestly, who cares about the hat? It's a hat and there's something to be said about tradition over branding. I thought Hollis was an ass and an idiot for trying to redesign the Spartan helmet logo.

Here's a different take on it. Would you think it's weird if MD wore different gear than the rest of his staff to link him somehow to Duffy or Biggie? How about Saban wearing a tweed fedora? There have been a lot of iconic coaches in CFB, but you don't see these other programs obsessed with the past like UM is. I've said many times, they're the uncle Rico's of college football.

I haven't heard or seen a peep from anyone I know who's a UM fan since the Florida game. I think that OSU game destroyed them unlike any other. But yes I suppose especially with Urban retiring the possibilities for the future are endless as always.

As for not stooping to the OSU, Bama, Clemson, level. I wasn't aware that recruiting had been an issue. But yes Bama and Clemson (and now Georgia) get all the talent they need. They're such juggernauts on the field they probably don't even HAVE to cheat to get kids to want to be a part of it. But those coaches also make adjustments and take chances to stay one step ahead. Saban brings in offensive consultants and goes out and gets playmaking quarterbacks even though earlier in his career at Bama he did just fine with game managers back there. Clemson hands the reins this year to a stud 6-6 kid who can sling the ball all over the field...who happens to be a true freshman, even though they returned a guy that got them to the playoff last year (but who performed horribly in that game). That takes guts.

Fans will be fans, but that collection of UM players seemed to do a lot more talking without having accomplished anything than any team I can remember (and as it turns out once it became clear they still weren't going to accomplish anything many just turned their attention to the NFL). Better to just put your head down, keep your mouth shut, go to work, and come back when you've actually done something. But I suppose that all is a reflection of the coach.

I don't think this is true - these teams are all cheating and they continue to cheat. Nothing changes. I don't think success is enough to turn off the spigot - maybe for that low 4 star scout team player, but elite kids are still getting incentivized.

But I agree with you 100% on the rest - guys like Saban or Swinney would never have stuck with underperforming players or coaches like MD has. Of course they often have the luxury of going with a backup that would start or at least contend on just about any other team in CFB.

Last edited:
OSU got crushed by Purdue and needed a blown 2pt conversion to survive against Maryland... they were not 4 TD's better than us, but who knows what happened in Columbus. Lousy coaching and preparation by Harbaugh and his staff are my guess.

regardless, to confirm what MSUMatt said, it really did kill my enthusiasm for this team and coaching staff. to come in with (what had been) the nation's #1 defense and shit the bed against what looked to be one of Urban's weaker OSU teams... just baffling.

Winovich said the OSU game was a mirage, they simply got smoked, couldn't contain crossing routes and underneath coverage, were completely outclassed in a game that they were favorites in. The simple thing to say in a non competitive game is that the better team won.

I don't think this is true - these teams are all cheating and they continue to cheat. Nothing changes. I don't think success is enough to turn off the spigot - maybe for that low 4 star scout team player, but elite kids are still getting incentivized.

But I agree with you 100% on the rest - guys like Saban or Swinney would never have stuck with underperforming players or coaches like MD has. Of course they often have the luxury of going with a backup that would start or at least contend on just about any other team in CFB.

As far as the Michigan point, those arguments about OSU and Bama are a joke, Michigan may not recruit quite on their level but they recruit very well. Lack of raw talent isn't the issue at all, saying that it is is comical.

As for MSU, I don't know what under performing player they stuck with this year. They did stick with Lewerke too long in the UM game, they wanted to go with Lombardi in the 4th but UM went on a long, clock killing drive. One of the problems this year is that a ton of our depth transferred, not a huge problem if you have good luck with injuries but if you have bad luck and a lack of depth, you end up with this kind of offense. Our backup QB transferred, two very good WR's with Rison and Jackson, and the running back that would have been the #2 to LJ. That doesn't address the OL injuries but we were really reaching down the depth chart this year.

Here's a different take on it. Would you think it's weird if MD wore different gear than the rest of his staff to link him somehow to Duffy or Biggie? How about Saban wearing a tweed fedora? There have been a lot of iconic coaches in CFB, but you don't see these other programs obsessed with the past like UM is. I've said many times, they're the uncle Rico's of college football.

I would think it was a little weird since those guys didn't play for Duffy or Biggie or Bear Bryant especially if it was different gear and not just a hat. Harbaugh grew up in AA and played for Bo and probably wore that hat his whole life starting from the time he was a little kid. I think it's a little weird that only he wears it, but it's not that big of a deal in my mind. Also, only Bear Bryant wore the Fedora, it's not like the whole staff, players and fans wore them like the "skinny" M from Harbaugh's youth.

Do NOT let Saint Peter see you with that hat when you get to the Pearly Gates.

He is a HUGE Notre Dame fan.

He is still pissed off about the 1966 tie.

As far as the Michigan point, those arguments about OSU and Bama are a joke, Michigan may not recruit quite on their level but they recruit very well. Lack of raw talent isn't the issue at all, saying that it is is comical.

As for MSU, I don't know what under performing player they stuck with this year. They did stick with Lewerke too long in the UM game, they wanted to go with Lombardi in the 4th but UM went on a long, clock killing drive. One of the problems this year is that a ton of our depth transferred, not a huge problem if you have good luck with injuries but if you have bad luck and a lack of depth, you end up with this kind of offense. Our backup QB transferred, two very good WR's with Rison and Jackson, and the running back that would have been the #2 to LJ. That doesn't address the OL injuries but we were really reaching down the depth chart this year.

who said it was a lack of raw talent at uofm? nothing of the sort was mentioned.

And it's not just players, nor is it limited to this year. I also said coaches and I think even folks who thought hiring Bollman was a good idea would argue that he's been kept around longer than he should have been or maybe they've even come around to the "he should never have been hired in the first place" camp. Warner should have been fired years ago. the defense, particularly the secondary went downhill quickly after Narduzzi left and no proactive changes have been made there - Barnett was never demoted and wasn't fired - he left.

Do NOT let Saint Peter see you with that hat when you get to the Pearly Gates.

He is a HUGE Notre Dame fan.

He is still pissed off about the 1966 tie.

It's a coin toss whether or not St. Peter will even be put in a position to make that call.

Last edited:

If they were indeed overconfident before the OSU game, then that was a pretty massive blunder by the leaders of that UM team (coaches and captains alike) to assume the OSU team that showed up vs Purdue and Maryland was going to be the same one that shows up for a season-ending rivalry game with a spot in the Big Ten CG on the line on their home field.

Talent-wise Bama and Clemson are far and away ahead of the pack right now (with Georgia getting up to their level), but beyond that UM should not feel like other schools are beating them overall in talent and recruiting. OSU is still ahead but probably not a ton. I wouldn't say Oklahoma and Notre Dame have more talent up and down their roster. But there was something wrong with the mentality and attitude of that particular group at least, which again goes back to the leadership. They thought they were pretty hot after beating an injured MSU team and I read them talking a lot of stuff after what they thought was some dirty play by IU (IU? Really? Would Saban or the Bama players give say Arkansas or Ole Miss even a second thought after games vs them? They'd be on to the next opponent). Then OSU punched them in the mouth and they crumbled, which led to them completely mailing it in vs Florida.

who said it was a lack of raw talent at uofm? nothing of the sort was mentioned.

And it's not just players, nor is it limited to this year. I also said coaches and I think even folks who thought hiring Bollman was a good idea would argue that he's been kept around longer than he should have been or maybe they've even come around to the "he should never have been hired in the first place" camp. Warner should have been fired years ago. the defense, particularly the secondary went downhill quickly after Narduzzi left and no proactive changes have been made there - Barnett was never demoted and wasn't fired - he left.

Narduzzi left after the 2014 season, we weren't great defensively in 2015 but still made the CFP, 2016 was a disaster all around but our defense has been top 10 for each of the last two seasons, I don't see any argument for a shake up on the defensive coaching side.

There is an argument to be made on offense, I am indifferent on Warner/Bollman, some obviously feel strongly that they should go. I can't judge this seasons offense since we had a ridiculous amount of injuries on one side of the ball. if someone told you that we'd lose Felton, Cody White, Cam Chambers, Nailor, Hayes, Scott, Lewerke, Jarvis, Allen, Beadle, and Stewart for multiple games each, you'd expect exactly what you have, also, having backups transfer at QB, RB, and 2 WR spots. There's a reason that Sowards was our 8th best receiver after the bowl last year. Very interested to see what happens today with relatively decent health.

If they were indeed overconfident before the OSU game, then that was a pretty massive blunder by the leaders of that UM team (coaches and captains alike) to assume the OSU team that showed up vs Purdue and Maryland was going to be the same one that shows up for a season-ending rivalry game with a spot in the Big Ten CG on the line on their home field.

Talent-wise Bama and Clemson are far and away ahead of the pack right now (with Georgia getting up to their level), but beyond that UM should not feel like other schools are beating them overall in talent and recruiting. OSU is still ahead but probably not a ton. I wouldn't say Oklahoma and Notre Dame have more talent up and down their roster. But there was something wrong with the mentality and attitude of that particular group at least, which again goes back to the leadership. They thought they were pretty hot after beating an injured MSU team and I read them talking a lot of stuff after what they thought was some dirty play by IU (IU? Really? Would Saban or the Bama players give say Arkansas or Ole Miss even a second thought after games vs them? They'd be on to the next opponent). Then OSU punched them in the mouth and they crumbled, which led to them completely mailing it in vs Florida.

Only the University of Michigan could be overconfident playing a rival that they lost 14 out of 15 to. How does that happen? the 5th year seniors on that team had no idea what it was like to beat OSU but still felt like they just had to show up to win???

I don't doubt that everyone is cheating. But I don't think Bama or Clemson are cheating any more than anyone else. And as sbee pointed out, for anyone else (like UM) to use that as an excuse is pretty hypocritical.

But those 2 programs at least it's the coaching as much as anything. There are differences of course. Swinney tries to keep a certain level of looseness among his players to get them to perform on the big stage and Saban is of course much more serious and business-like. But with both there's an unwavering focus and confidence that doesn't seem to cross over into arrogance regarding both programs. Certainly they'll game plan based on the opponent and throw in wrinkles, but for the most part they're going to focus on making themselves as good as they can be, and the opponent then doesn't much matter. I certainly don't think anyone at Bama would point to a loss to Auburn and say they were overconfident (or at least not admit to it).

Winovich said the OSU game was a mirage, they simply got smoked, couldn't contain crossing routes and underneath coverage, were completely outclassed in a game that they were favorites in. The simple thing to say in a non competitive game is that the better team won.

ok.

so did u get your new OSU gear at Walmart?

Anyway I picked the Spartans to win today in our board pick’ems game… So I hope they don’t let me down the way my Michigan Wolverines did.

Back