Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hagerup reinstated

Do not like.. Should have been sent packing.

I'm on the fence.

it seems kinda harsh, in light of the fact that he was already suspended for this. I can't imagine Hoke even reinstating him unless he had been on his best behavior since then, so I don't see the need for such a long probation.

...but on the other hand, I think he was a repeat offender, and therefore he shouldn't have screwed up again.

I am OK with it. Hoke has shown he really tries to keep kids in the program and earning their way back into the program. As he has said its more than just football. He takes the responsibility of doing not just whats best for the player on the field but off it as well. He gave Stonum every chance in the world till he had no choice but to kick him off the team.

Do you think he understands this is his last chance? I'm betting he goes to some party where there is weed and takes another hit and gets a perma-ban from the team.

If he can hit his punts as high as he was when he was busted then I'm fine with the decision. Which is always a factor in disciplinary measures.

There would not have been a player on the entire 1976 Michigan football team who would be eligible to play on this team, based on pot consumption alone.

Smoking weed is not a big deal and the stigma/reaction is always so overblown.

Recount the number of "off field" issue involving alcohol and compare to weed. When it comes to weed, it's always that someone smoked it. When it comes to alcohol, it's always that someone drank a bunch and then assaulted/crashed/burglarized/exposed/and so forth.

And I understand if team policy prohibits smoking weed, as do most company policies but the act of smoking weed itself is no different than drinking and schools turn a blind eye to that all the time. Hard drugs do not compare in this way, either.

If he can hit his punts as high as he was when he was busted then I'm fine with the decision. Which is always a factor in disciplinary measures.

There would not have been a player on the entire 1976 Michigan football team who would be eligible to play on this team, based on pot consumption alone.

nice one.

it seems like Bo's position on it hardened over time. reading the 1971 book by Joe Falls, he said something like "how can I tell them not to do it? I've never actually tried it myself." to toeing the Nancy Reagan line for his later biography.

Recount the number of "off field" issue involving alcohol and compare to weed. When it comes to weed, it's always that someone smoked it. When it comes to alcohol, it's always that someone drank a bunch and then assaulted/crashed/burglarized/exposed/and so forth.

And I understand if team policy prohibits smoking weed, as do most company policies but the act of smoking weed itself is no different than drinking and schools turn a blind eye to that all the time. Hard drugs do not compare in this way, either.

agree. I think this has more to do with disobeying the coach than suffering or causing any actual harm.

there are other team rules that guys get busted for all the time that are even less damaging (breaking curfew comes to mind), but when it is the team's rules you have to toe the line when you already have been busted twice and the last one resulted in a long suspension.

i think hoke has always been extremely fair with guys. he'll give them a second chance (public second chance, i'm betting there would be a warning or two before the first official offense about which we as outsiders are made aware), even a third, but eventually it becomes a situation where the insubordination itself is the problem. it shows the individual is more interested in their own desires and needs than those of the team.

i know you're a smart guy and get all that, i'm just expanding on your point that the nature of the offense isn't really a big deal, but rules - regardless of lameness - can only be broken so many times.

I completely agree with the consequences of breaking team Rules ...It's just a double standard to begin with. Kids on the football team, et al drink beers as underage kids routinely yet aren't disciplined by the team unless there is a public event ...arrest, party busted that gets into media, etc.

But Hagerup smoking weed at all, that in and of itself is no different than a college kid having a few keg beers, is an issue that keg beer is not.

And stupid of him to get busted a second time ...then again, look at Honey Badger. I say if he can still BOOM it, let the Broncos draft Hagerup and he can smoke all the legal weed he wants AND ... punt at altitude!

Last edited:
Wow, kid messes up 3 years in a row and gets rewarded with a redshirt. Sounds like a win for the kid.

Fuck him. Hoke is soft. Boot him from the team. Stupid to get caught this many times. Is he really going to sit an entire year without smoking again? Soft

Fuck him. Hoke is soft. Boot him from the team. Stupid to get caught this many times. Is he really going to sit an entire year without smoking again? Soft

If he is going to smoke weed again, he sure better only do it in his bed room after a friend brings the weed over to his house.

Back