Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Happy Hanukkah...

elrod817

...to our Jewish friends and their families.

Peace and blessings to all!

Hannakuh actually falls this year on the Solstice.

I don't know if it falls on the first day or the last day.

Lots of shit to celebrate.

Happy Chanukah!!! (wife's preferred spelling, so I try to use it to keep her happy...lol)

Solstice is officially the Dec 21st @ 6:03 PM EST this year, so it will fall on the 6th night for those in EST, but for Tinsel it will still be the 5th day. :D For people in the Central Time Zone, it will depend on where you live. For instance, for Chicago, sunset is at 5:23PM and solstice is at 5:03 PM, so in Chicago it will be on the 6th night. However, in other locations, say Dallas, TX, the solstice happens prior to sunset so they will still be on the 5th day.

As I researched this further, I found it interesting that the line where the Solstice and Sunset are at the same time or within 6 minutes (several close to 1 minute) of each other runs roughly by many state/province and national capitals, including (from N to S):

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Bismarck, ND
Pierre, SD
Lincoln, NE
Topeka, KS
Little Rock, AR
Jackson, MS
Baton Rouge, LA
Panama City, Panama
Sucre, Bolivia
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Montevideo, Uruguay

Happy Hanukkah!! Don't eat too many potato pancakes..

How are these not more popular? I probably had potato pancakes 4 or 5 times in the past 12 months which is about how many times I saw them on a menu.

How are these not more popular? I probably had potato pancakes 4 or 5 times in the past 12 months which is about how many times I saw them on a menu.

I personally prefer apple latkes or spicing up the potato latkes with some garlic salt at a minimum.

Apple latkes with powdered sugar...N-I-C-E!!!

I personally prefer apple latkes or spicing up the potato latkes with some garlic salt at a minimum.

Apple latkes with powdered sugar...N-I-C-E!!!

I'd follow latkes with latkes for dessert if given the opportunity.
Latke #1: sour cream & chives...or maybe salmon, they'd be my meal latkes
Latke #2: apples on the dessert latkes

Happy Chanukah!!! (wife's preferred spelling, so I try to use it to keep her happy...lol)

Solstice is officially the Dec 21st @ 6:03 PM EST this year, so it will fall on the 6th night for those in EST, but for Tinsel it will still be the 5th day.

Oh.

I asked Siri what day of the week the 21st was, and she told me that it was a Saturday, and it was Chanukah.

The wife didn't get the menorah out this year, for whatever reason...

I'd follow latkes with latkes for dessert if given the opportunity.
Latke #1: sour cream & chives...or maybe salmon, they'd be my meal latkes
Latke #2: apples on the dessert latkes

Allow me to clarify...

Potato latkes are made from potatoes that have been mushed into a liquid, then that is poured into the oil and cooked until crispy. Personally, the thinner the liquid, the better, but some people prefer a nice thick potato latke. Kind of like some people prefer thin French fries and others thick. I prefer thin ones. I like having a more flavorful batter, where there is something like garlic salt mixed in...but the relatives don't usually like these so at our house they are usually served plain and I add some flavoring after cooking to mine, depending on mood. I've enjoyed them with Cajun spices, Italian seasoning, and just plain salt and pepper. Really depends on my mood, but generally I don't care for eating them plain as much. I cannot say as I've had them with lox, that is something I would love to try this year, so thanks for idea!!!!

Apple latkes are made from apples that have been mushed into a liquid (it's not applesauce though...it's different), then poured into the oil. There are no potatoes in the apple latkes. These I prefer being thick, as it is more like a fried apple pie that way (especially if they still have chunks of apple). Much depends on how much sugar, cinnamon, etc are in the apple batter. Sprinkle them with powdered sugar, or put some ice cream on top...that's good too. Maybe this year I will try them dipped into caramel syrup...hmmm, interesting...

Anyway, I know some people put applesauce on their potato latkes...I'm not a big fan of that, but others are. To each their own!!!

We had them all the time growing up, but I'm half Polish-American. Weren't you also some amount of Polish American as well? I'm surprised you never had them before. I guess they're a pretty standard Polish fare (as well as being common in Germany and Ukraine.)

I actually prefer the kind from a box. I don't remember the brand my mom used, but this looks familiar:

GetImage.aspx

it might not have been that brand though. not sure.

My dad used to make them, he was mostly german-hillbilly. Sometimes when we noticed the potatoes were starting to sprout or get wrinkly, we would just cook the whole bag and make mashed potatoes to have with supper that night. Then the next morning my dad would take the leftovers, thin them down a little with milk, butter and i think add an egg, flour, and some spices then drop them on a hot griddle. We also ate with sour cream, and often bacon, sorta like a baked potato.

Doubt they were very similar to the jewish style potato pancakes though.

When I want latkes I just go to McDonald's in the morning and get the potato cakes they make.

Close enough for me.

Apple Latke's I've never had..they sound good. My mom always cooked the Potato Latke's when I was younger..haven't in a long time though. I never see them on a menu..

If you live in the Detroit-Ann Arbor area, there is a restaurant in Hamtramck called Polish Village. They make pretty damn good latke, also golapki, kopitki, kiebasa and something I affectionately call "city chicken" - fried pork on a stick. Seriously good food.

Last edited:
If you live in the Detroit-Ann Arbor area, there is a restaurant in Hamtramck called Polish Village. They make pretty damn good latke, also golapki, kopitki, kiebasa and something I affectionately call "city chicken" - fried pork on a stick. Seriously good food.
I remember city chicken.

my great aunt (Polish) used to eat it all the time. I remember it being dry and not very good, but I was a picky eater as a kid.

Maybe a decade ago now we took that same great aunt for her birthday to some Polish restaurant in Detroit/Hamtramck. I don't remember the name, but that may have been it.

...to our Jewish friends and their families.

Peace and blessings to all!

Couple of days late in wishing a Happy Hannukah to all our Jewish Detroit and Michigan sports fans.

I used to eat those latkes at my friends house when his mom made them. I also loved the meat kinishes, those were great.

Last edited:
I remember city chicken.

my great aunt (Polish) used to eat it all the time. I remember it being dry and not very good, but I was a picky eater as a kid.

Maybe a decade ago now we took that same great aunt for her birthday to some Polish restaurant in Detroit/Hamtramck. I don't remember the name, but that may have been it.

City chicken (mock drumstick) can vary quite a bit. We used to get it a lot from the Krogers when we lives in the city, and I liked it. It was greasy, and crispy, and probably not very healthy, but that's what makes things delicious.

I have also had some made in other markets that was bland and dry and pretty pathetic (never buy it from Meijers *shudders*) But done well it's not too bad, as a once in a while thing, considering it's basically made from trimmings.

Back