Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Happy Mardi Gras

jever4321

Has anyone here been to New Orleans for it? I've been to NO just not for Mardi Gras, and I think it should be on my bucket list. Anyway, Happy fat Tuesday everyone!

tongue.png

If you're 19-24 and don't mind getting puke, urine and God knows what on you, Mardi Gras is fun ...sort of like going out on St Patty's Day to an Irish bar.

I'd suggest Jazz Festival or Bourbon Street Fest over Mardi Gras. Lots of drunk idiots looking for trouble and fights at Mardi Gras.

Heard the same thing about it being college kids/recent grads or dropouts acting like morons.

One quick story ....

A bar in the French Quarter was packed shoulder-to-shoulder and the Men's Room line had backed up. Well, it is New Orleans and it is Mardi Gras so .... guys just started pissing in the hallway leading to the Men's Room like the wall was a trough from the old M Stadium bathrooms.

Piss everywhere on the floor.

TheVictors03 said:

I'd suggest Jazz Festival ...

huh. a friend of mine keeps suggesting we go to that, but I really have no desire to go to New Orleans at all.

I went to the Kentucky Derby in 2002. Had my fill of "drunken trashy events" for a lifetime.

and it doesn't matter what it is, it could be a visit from the Queen of England, but if it's taking place south of the Mason-Dixon line, I consider it a "drunken trashy event." only exception is for a University of Michigan-affiliated event.

MichChamp02 said:
TheVictors03 said:

I'd suggest Jazz Festival ...

huh. a friend of mine keeps suggesting we go to that, but I really have no desire to go to New Orleans at all.

I went to the Kentucky Derby in 2002. Had my fill of "drunken trashy events" for a lifetime.

and it doesn't matter what it is, it could be a visit from the Queen of England, but if it's taking place south of the Mason-Dixon line, I consider it a "drunken trashy event." only exception is for a University of Michigan-affiliated event.

South Pennsylvania, Delaware, South Jersey, Maryland and DC are south of the mason dixon line. You probably didn't realize it was that far north.. Stupid trashy rednecks.

Jazz Fest is pretty awesome. You have the Fairgrounds with all the stages and bands and so forth, but then you have all these clubs around New Orleans that will have these same bands appear and play under different names or as surprise headliners. And the crowd ranges from kids with their parents to old folks dancing in the Gospel tent. It's still a complete shit show, but that's pretty much New Orleans no matter what.

But it's not based in the French Quarter and not attracting drunks like Mardi Gras. The only thing we found annoying about Jazz Fest was the attitude of the hardcore Jazz Fest fans ... those who are too cool to bother with the fairgrounds anymore and who (like some with recruiting) are running about trying to figure out who the "surprise headliner" will be at some 2am show somewhere ...

But it was a helluva lot of fun!

TheVictors03 said:
but then you have all these clubs around New Orleans that will have these same bands appear and play under different names or as surprise headliners.

lol This is a new concept.. Listen up noobs

I did realize it was that far north. the Mason-Dixon line is the Maryland-Penn border.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
MichChamp02 said:

South Pennsylvania, Delaware, South Jersey, Maryland and DC are south of the mason dixon line. You probably didn't realize it was that far north.. Stupid trashy rednecks.

South Jersey?

MichChamp02 said:
I did realize it was that far north. the Mason-Dixon line is the Maryland-Penn border.

It should extend into southern Ohio based on the Confederate flags I've seen there.

Red and Guilty said:
[quote="Danny Diggler":kcqssfn2]

South Jersey?[/quote:kcqssfn2]

My bad, it's as high up as south jersey but didn't run through it..

Marycolony.png

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]So you know that you will never have proper crab cakes without going past the line.

I think you're wrong about S. Jersey.

edit: nevermind

Red and Guilty said:
MichChamp02 said:

It should extend into southern Ohio based on the Confederate flags I've seen there.

Southern Ohio is about as bad as Alabama.

I'm actually okay with lumping Indiana, Ohio, and Southern Illinois in with the south.

technically the Mason-Dixon line as a cultural border doesn't run straight across the country. it runs along the state borders east and west of MD-PA. it's almost exactly the Civil War borders. Maryland was a slave state, and probably would've gone with the south, but because DC was there, the Feds secured it to the union w/martial law.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
TheVictors03 said:
but then you have all these clubs around New Orleans that will have these same bands appear and play under different names or as surprise headliners.

Jazz Fest is awesome, isn't it?! How many times have you gone?

TheVictors03 said:
[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]

Jazz Fest is awesome, isn't it?! How many times have you gone?

I haven't but I hear great things. I was commenting on the bands performing at an after party show under a different name. ;)

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
[quote="Red and Guilty":q97zcjog]

Southern Ohio is about as bad as Alabama.[/quote:q97zcjog]

No Shit!

Back