Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Harbaugh 7th best coach in BIG

hungry

Or worse...probably worse

Prove me wrong

Last edited:
I think I was being too positive

He's more like 8th...

As the other schools cut ties with their coach before signing day, Michigan will wait until after signing day to act

So dumb

Lovie SMith out at Illinois

Malzahn out at Auburn

Michigan still in limbo

I don't what what the deal is, but I don't think it's just as simple as coaches being good or bad. What would it mean if things had to be the right fit? Saban wasn't better than Dantonio at MSU.

Why fire a coach because of this ridiculous season? that makes no sense.

I agree, but there's more to it than that. 2018 Michigan-Ohio State defies all explanation. And something has seemed broken since then. I don't know what, and I've pretty much quit digging for analysis in the media or on blogs because nobody has said anything that sounds like they understand it either.

Everyone dealt with COVID

Do you really think things are improving?

It isn't just because of this ridiculous season. Is the program progressing?

Besides, OK, don't fire him. Resolve the situation before signing day. How hard is that?

You fire a coach, because of where he ranks in the big 10

There are literally like 7 coaches in the big 10 getting their players to perform better than Harbaugh is

I could see it if Michigan was clearly the 2nd place team in the big 10, only doing worse than the cheaters in Cbus, since that is your excuse for why they are doing better. Michigan is clearly worse off than PSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc etc. The list goes on. He has absolutely no excuse for being worse off than the other programs.

Last year, we were unsatisfied with the results. THey got blown out at UW. They got beat at PSU. They looked like crap in their bowl game. I'm sure everyone expected the team to improve . They expected a competitive game with UW. Instead Michigan got blown out. There is no excuse for that. This team can't even handle fundamentals of not jumping offside or the offense getting lined up and the ball snapped before the play clock runs out. We're at Hoke level.

Michigan was 5-7 the year before Haurbaugh was hired. The next year, Michigan was 10-3 and ranked 11/12 in the nation. What changed?

I haven't heard anything anywhere that sounds like a good theory as to what is baby and what is bathwater. It's not just that this year was bad, but it's also too much to conclude that Harbaugh's not a good coach.

Last edited:
Michigan was 5-7 the year before Haurbaugh was hired. The next year, Michigan was 10-3 and ranked 11/12 in the nation. What changed?

I haven't heard anything anywhere that sounds like a good theory as to what is baby and what is bathwater. It's not just that this year was bad, but it's also too much to conclude that Harbaugh's not a good coach.

5-7 the year before Harbaugh was hired. Hoke went 11-2 his first season, then things went south. I see the same trajectory here. Harbaugh's first 3 seasons were good, not great. Since then, things have gotten steadily worse.

What has changed? I think a lot of what has changed is different assistants. Harbaugh has made several questionable hires. Another thing that changed is Don Brown's defenses. The first 2 years of Brown defenses seemed good. Since then, the defense has gotten worse and worse.

Quit using "covid" as an excuse. It isn't just "this year."

The stupid thing is, I think Warde is just hoping that Harbaugh gets an NFL gig and then he won't have to make a decision. Then where will we be? An entire class of signed recruits and without the coach that they signed up to play for. What a great idea!!

2018, Ohio State puts 62 on Michigan with Don Brown as D-coordination. That year they scored less on almost everybody else, Rutgers, Tulane, Nebraska, Maryland... OSU never scored that much on Michigan ever, in a hundred and whatever years. Something snapped. That's an all-time OSU offensive peak and/or Michigan defensive failure. All-time. Never happened uder Hoke. Never happened under Rodriguez. It happened with the defensive coordinator that was cranking out top 5 (or top 1) defensive teams stats regularly.

There was no slow decline. It just snapped, all at once. To me, that requires an explanation that nobody has come up with yet.

Last edited:
Maybe everyone is sick of working with Harbaugh. It's not like there's no history of that happening elsewhere. It happened with his staff at Michigan as well. Wheatley left the program because he hates Harbaugh after working with him.

Recruiting has been bad lately. I don't care what the class rankings say. We have left giant holes at DT and CB, which are the two most important positions for stopping modern offenses. We have absolutely no depth at LB. It was walk-ons or true freshmen if any LB got hurt this year. I can't remember who wrote the article, but it was pointed out over the summer that Harbaugh's organization when it comes to recruiting is a huge mess. That's starting to bear out on the field.

This program was much better off when Harbaugh was coaching Hoke's recruits. Things have been regressing since those players were gone.

Last edited:
2018, Ohio State puts 62 on Michigan with Don Brown as D-coordination. That year they scored less on almost everybody else, Rutgers, Tulane, Nebraska, Maryland... OSU never scored that much on Michigan ever, in a hundred and whatever years. Something snapped. That's an all-time OSU offensive peak and/or Michigan defensive failure. All-time. Never happened uder Hoke. Never happened under Rodriguez. It happened with the defensive coordinator that was cranking out top 5 (or top 1) defensive teams stats regularly.

There was no slow decline. It just snapped, all at once. To me, that requires an explanation that nobody has come up with yet.

There have been some real head scratching statistical aberrations in the last decade...

the 2016 refs thing in the OSU game was sketchy as hell. How does that happen, refs who were previously banned b/c of bias suddenly get to officiate THAT game? I guess someone just pulled some strings one (1) time, but everything else has been above board?

Then OSU got stomped in the playoffs, 31-0 to Clemson... kinda reminds me of the way they'd eke out wins against Carr, then get blown out in the NCAA title game against SEC teams. WTF happens there?

Then there was that other thing.., was that in 2018? Someone noted that we almost never got holding calls against us, which was absurd when you consider a lot of the guys from those Michigan DLs are playing on Sunday now. Like not only were we statistically the lowest in the conference getting those calls, we were a whole standard deviation below the next worse team.

It happened, of course... MGoBLog or someone proved it. No one delved into HOW does that happen though, which would be revealing.

I think - yes, teams have always cheated, and I'm sure we're not perfect either. But sometime in the Mid 00's maybe, the cheaters started running the show.

No one is going to change my mind about any of this, and it's one of the reasons I don't blame Harbaugh for the situation, and I think he can coach as long as he wants to. I'd rather not have a football team, than have a football team that runs the university & is dirty as fuck. We need to maintain standards here.

The fans that just like football & don't give a fuck about the university & its standards can go root for a dirty program, if winning is all that matters to them.

There have been some real head scratching statistical aberrations in the last decade...

the 2016 refs thing in the OSU game was sketchy as hell. How does that happen, refs who were previously banned b/c of bias suddenly get to officiate THAT game? I guess someone just pulled some strings one (1) time, but everything else has been above board?

Then OSU got stomped in the playoffs, 31-0 to Clemson... kinda reminds me of the way they'd eke out wins against Carr, then get blown out in the NCAA title game against SEC teams. WTF happens there?

Then there was that other thing.., was that in 2018? Someone noted that we almost never got holding calls against us, which was absurd when you consider a lot of the guys from those Michigan DLs are playing on Sunday now. Like not only were we statistically the lowest in the conference getting those calls, we were a whole standard deviation below the next worse team.

It happened, of course... MGoBLog or someone proved it. No one delved into HOW does that happen though, which would be revealing.

I think - yes, teams have always cheated, and I'm sure we're not perfect either. But sometime in the Mid 00's maybe, the cheaters started running the show.

No one is going to change my mind about any of this, and it's one of the reasons I don't blame Harbaugh for the situation, and I think he can coach as long as he wants to. I'd rather not have a football team, than have a football team that runs the university & is dirty as fuck. We need to maintain standards here.

The fans that just like football & don't give a fuck about the university & its standards can go root for a dirty program, if winning is all that matters to them.

OK. Give up on the idea that Michigan can compete with Ohio State and for Big 10 championships then

How about embracing the idea that Michigan should be the clear cut #2 team in the big 10? Give us a reason why this is not possible? You can't just say, "I'm comfortable with him coaching for as long as he likes." What if he ups and quits next week? What if he goes 2-10 the next 4 seasons? Why can he not do better than 3-3 against Michigan State? Is it too much to expect a winning record there? Cut it with the excuses about losses to OSU and the refs...fine! Michigan can't compete with Ohio State. What about the other 7 programs that are better than Michigan right now? Are they cheating more than Michigan, too? Are all of the losses to them flukey, too?

Why can't Michigan field a competitive team against Wisconsin? What advantage do they have that Michigan does not?

We aren't just struggling against the dirty programs. Wisconsin has beat us into the core of the earth two games in a row. They barely practiced for three weeks before the game this year and we looked like the completely unprepared team.

We are 1-1 against Iowa while averaging a pathetic 11.5 PPG. It's not going to look any better after Saturday night.

IU beat the shit out of us.

.500 against MSU and PSU.

The issues go beyond just getting killed by OSU.

Last edited:
We aren't just struggling against the dirty programs. Wisconsin has beat us into the core of the earth two games in a row. They barely practiced for three weeks before the game this year and we looked like the completely unprepared team.

We are 1-1 against Iowa while averaging a pathetic 11.5 PPG. It's not going to look any better after Saturday night.

IU beat the shit out of us.

.500 against MSU and PSU.

The issues go beyond just getting killed by OSU.

Not to mention, Michigan was favored by 20 points against MSU and MSU beat Michigan handily. It was a 2 score game before Michigan scored that last meaningless TD. MSU was definitely the tougher, more organized team that day. There is no excuse for that.

Back