Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hey Michigan It's Your Turn

From what I've read about these cases they (the abusers) typically, but not always, prey on kids who were poor & didn't have fathers.

So... odds are in your favor of making it through unscathed if you didn't have either strike against you.

Ha! I had both strikes against me!! My Mom was very active in the church and I had many interactions with priests and seminarians. I guess I was lucky. Given the numbers of priests that have been accused/found guilty. My oldest brother went to a seminary in Virginia to study for the priesthood. This was in the late 60s - early 70s. He left during his senior year. I remember it being a big shock in the family. We've never spoken about why he decided to leave the seminary. I haven't really thought about it until now. Makes me wonder.

I didn't mean to disparage the catholic church. Just relating my childhood experience. Clearly, as others have said this sort of criminal behavior is more common in our society than I would have ever thought, and certainly not confined to catholic priests.

Ha! I had both strikes against me!! My Mom was very active in the church and I had many interactions with priests and seminarians. I guess I was lucky. Given the numbers of priests that have been accused/found guilty. My oldest brother went to a seminary in Virginia to study for the priesthood. This was in the late 60s - early 70s. He left during his senior year. I remember it being a big shock in the family. We've never spoken about why he decided to leave the seminary. I haven't really thought about it until now. Makes me wonder.

I didn't mean to disparage the catholic church. Just relating my childhood experience. Clearly, as others have said this sort of criminal behavior is more common in our society than I would have ever thought, and certainly not confined to catholic priests.

I didn't take it as disparaging of the church, I was just providing context for why you, like most kids in the church and Catholic schools, weren't affected and never heard or saw anything about it until the scandal broke.

I went to Catholic school through 8th grade and was an altar boy. The closest thing I saw to anyone being abused was when one of our old curmudgeonly old priests whacked a kid for not paying attention and being a smartass. Back then (early 80s), parents were a little less ridiculous and would respond to situations like that with "well, that will teach you to show some respect and pay attention, son" instead of going to the local paper or FB nowadays to tell the story and start a campaign to get the priest fired and arrested.

About a year ago, I did see a story about an accused priest who was transferred to our parish - which was the real scandal, moving these guys around and covering up their crimes. But he was gone before we go there in 1978. I don't know how long he was there but I'm not aware of anyone from our parish who claimed to have been abused by him.

I didn't take it as disparaging of the church,

Why are we as a society so conditioned to not speak ill of the church? If ANY organization chooses to hide pedophiles in other areas of the nation/world rather than turn them over to the proper authorities, then I say disparage the hell out of them. Fuck the catholic church for hiding those sick bastards and hiding what they have done for decades!!

Hey, "The Church" via Jim Bakker will sell you a bottle of snake oil for $300 to cure the Coronavirus .....Joel Osteen turned away 1000's in their time of need in Houston ....who says the Church isn't just doing GOOD all the time?!

Why are we as a society so conditioned to not speak ill of the church? If ANY organization chooses to hide pedophiles in other areas of the nation/world rather than turn them over to the proper authorities, then I say disparage the hell out of them. Fuck the catholic church for hiding those sick bastards and hiding what they have done for decades!!

Hey, "The Church" via Jim Bakker will sell you a bottle of snake oil for $300 to cure the Coronavirus .....Joel Osteen turned away 1000's in their time of need in Houston ....who says the Church isn't just doing GOOD all the time?!

gentlemen, please. there's already a (extremely popular) thread on the religion board where you can discuss matters like these.

gentlemen, please. there's already a (extremely popular) thread on the religion board where you can discuss matters like these.

Perhaps there should be a dedicated pedophile/athlete molester thread. It seems to be a growing issue.

With all due respect Michchamp, there were 8 or 9 times the catholic church was brought up before I jumped in. I do not deem it appropriate that one can only say fuck the catholic church on the "religion" thread. It seems to me that we should be free to say fuck the catholic church on any thread. But I will try to do better moving forward :nod:

With all due respect Michchamp, there were 8 or 9 times the catholic church was brought up before I jumped in. I do not deem it appropriate that one can only say fuck the catholic church on the "religion" thread. It seems to me that we should be free to say fuck the catholic church on any thread. But I will try to do better moving forward :nod:

Fuck the Catholic Church. There. I did it too.

I chuckled a little, I have to admit. After reading thewolverine24 and michamp, I read the article. It got to the one part where the guy says,

Entering the exam room, Anderson told Glazier that perhaps it would be better if he showed him how to check for venereal disease rather than telling him.

"I expected I was going to have to" strip down, Glazier said.

Instead, Anderson took down his pants, lay down on the examination table and began manipulating himself. "I was taken aback. I was instantly nauseated and hyperventilated," Glazier said.

I'm sorry but everything combined, comments and article, had me laughing.

I've had one of those rectal exams during what I thought was only a physical. I needed a physical for employment. I got the proverbial 2 finger salute and almost shit everywhere, lol. I felt so violated and then found out my 3 buddies got the same treatment. We laughed, I think most of us didn't feel the exhilaration some would.

I've had one of those rectal exams during what I thought was only a physical. I needed a physical for employment. I got the proverbial 2 finger salute and almost shit everywhere, lol. I felt so violated and then found out my 3 buddies got the same treatment. We laughed, I think most of us didn't feel the exhilaration some would.

uh... WTF?

Back