Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops Restart Date Rumor

thewolverines24

From Chris Balas on Twitter:

SOURCES: Michigan basketball won't play its Feb. 11 home game with Illinois, and the Wisconsin game Feb. 14 is up in the air. The first game back might be Feb. 18 at Rutgers.

Postponing. The players haven't done anything for two weeks but work out in their rooms. Would be a tall order to come back and play a game after being together only a couple days.

So if true, it sounds like the school is postponing so the players won't be rushed back and end up with injuries.

The team was having a great season. Hate to see this happen. When they get restarted I hope they are able to just pick up where they left off and make a run in tournament season.

The team was having a great season. Hate to see this happen. When they get restarted I hope they are able to just pick up where they left off and make a run in tournament season.

It REALLY sucks that it's all the fault of UM's athletic department. The athletic department derailed great seasons for men's and women's hoops because they were too stupid to realize that allowing someone to travel to a hotspot, the UK, of a new covid strain wasn't a good idea. They followed up that stupid idea by failing to immediately isolate said person when they returned to the US. How they could fail at this epic of a level is beyond me, but here we are.

Not really surprising given the things that have come to light with regard to pervert doctors being allowed to continue assaulting athletes. The stupidity continues. Heads should roll! And it is all the more frustrating given the shit show that the football season turned into.

Last edited:
So, I thought it was a 2 week quarantine? Sounds like it may be almost a month. Warde is a fucking idiot, plain and simple.

So, I thought it was a 2 week quarantine? Sounds like it may be almost a month. Warde is a fucking idiot, plain and simple.

I believe the quarantine is only 2 weeks, but the other games are being postponed because our players can't do anything other than work out in their residences. They want to give them some practice time before they dive back into games.

I feel really bad for all these kids who have made sacrifices to not only make this season possible, but to make it wildly successful to this point. To have their own athletic department screw them over, and then try to pass the buck to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, is really shitty.

I don't know what evidence the AD had, but I thought I read there was a sudden uptick in cases, and/or cases that included the more virulent strain of coronavirus. You guys had no concerns about more kids and coaches potentially getting sick?

i look at the upside of this. they have reduced the potential of having individuals get COVID and sitting out which would potentially result in losing some games due to lack available players and guys getting over worked, which also increases injury.

the break also gives them time to lick wounds and heal up. it is basically at the halfway point in the season. they have shown they have enough talent that they can overcome the rust (instead of winning by 20, maybe they win by 5).

glass is half full i'm telling ya!

I don't know what evidence the AD had, but I thought I read there was a sudden uptick in cases, and/or cases that included the more virulent strain of coronavirus. You guys had no concerns about more kids and coaches potentially getting sick?

the new more virulent strain of corona will still be in the area when they restart. In fact, it may be more prevalent then than when they stopped.

so , no, you use the word "potentially." They could have, also, potentially never contracted the virus. They still could potentially contract the virus after the restart. I believe they accomplished nothing.

The sudden uptick in cases would have never happened if the AD didn't allow an athlete to go to the UK, a hot spot for the new strain. We still would have been fine if the AD isolated said athlete on their return. Instead they did nothing.

Just FYI - The UK strain appears to be more contagious, but not more deadly/virulent. Not all scientists are even agreeing if it's more contagious.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-but-vaccines-should-still-work-idUSKBN28T0TU

https://www.biospace.com/article/research-roundup-uk-strain-of-covid-19-and-more/

Last edited:
Right, allegedly more contagious

I read another site that said, more virulent, but the contagious thing is what I am reading more.

I've read it is more contagious, but less severe in other places

Yes.

In England, it’s more severe and less contagious.

Here in LA, the mutation is less severe but more contagious.

In South Africa, it is both more severe and more contagious.

In Denmark, the mutation is both less severe and less contagious.

At least that’s what I’ve been reading.

That Coronavirus COVID-19 mutation, she is one fickle bitch.

Yes.

In England, it?s more severe and less contagious.

Here in LA, the mutation is less severe but more contagious.

In South Africa, it is both more severe and more contagious.

In Denmark, the mutation is both less severe and less contagious.

At least that?s what I?ve been reading.

That Coronavirus COVID-19 mutation, she is one fickle bitch.

Yep, then we're told to trust the science...

It seems unlikely to me they would pause all winter sports, especially given how well we were doing across the board, if there wasn't a serious threat that felt they needed to get ahead of... but what do I know?

Maybe Warde Manuel is totally incompetent and just randomly makes decisions by throwing darts at a board, just overreacts to COVID-19 threats (ignoring the fact that we've been playing sports all this time), or was trying to intentionally screw all our winter sports teams? Those sound like WAY more plausible conclusions, right?

It seems unlikely to me they would pause all winter sports, especially given how well we were doing across the board, if there wasn't a serious threat that felt they needed to get ahead of... but what do I know?

Maybe Warde Manuel is totally incompetent and just randomly makes decisions by throwing darts at a board, just overreacts to COVID-19 threats (ignoring the fact that we've been playing sports all this time), or was trying to intentionally screw all our winter sports teams? Those sound like WAY more plausible conclusions, right?

I've read that the decision was made above his head.

I do find it strange that only MIchigan is doing this

Other schools have shut things down, but those were with positive tests on those teams

It was reported that the Michigan basketball team still hasn't had any positive tests, with the exception of Dickinson over the summer...apparently

It's not that the threat is not serious, it's that the threat should have never existed in UM's athletics. Do we have this situation if they simply don't allow an athlete to go to the UK and back unchecked? It is far more unlikely that we do. It was complete incompetence to allow that to happen.

I've read that the decision was made above his head.

I do find it strange that only MIchigan is doing this

Other schools have shut things down, but those were with positive tests on those teams

It was reported that the Michigan basketball team still hasn't had any positive tests, with the exception of Dickinson over the summer...apparently

That was a while ago. He hasn?t been playing like he sick? Except in the context where sick means good, as in ?All those double doubles for a freshman? That shit is SICK!?

Anyway, there is no change thus far in the original rescheduling ? next game still scheduled for a week from yesterday.

Back