Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops vs EMU

thewolverines24

Michigan and Eastern Michigan will square off for the second year in a row after last year?s Emoni Bates Showcase at Little Caesars Arena. This year?s game will have less fanfare and is scheduled for a mid-Saturday afternoon after final exams in Ann Arbor (Sat., 2:30 p.m., BTN), with most of the noise focused on off-the-court drama this week. It'll be nice to get back to talking actual basketball instead of overblown rumors about, what has been made to sound like, two coaches getting heated with each other for the first time in human history.

KEYS

Defend the ball (Tyson Acuff): Michigan?s perimeter defense will be tested in this one because Tyson Acuff can excel at getting in the paint. He had 10 points and four assists in last year?s meeting, but that was with Noah Farrakhan and Emoni Bates taking every shot and, for all intents and purposes, having their way with Michigan?s defense. It will be interesting to see how U-M divvies up defensive assignments because Acuff is a bigger guard at 6-foot-4 but EMU surrounds him with players who are mostly 6-foot-6 or taller. Does that leave Dug McDaniel or Nimari Burnett to slow down Acuff? If it isn?t McDaniel, who does he guard?

Under a point-per-possession defense: Michigan has held its opposition under a point-per-possession once in ten games this year. That?s not good enough against any competition, and this is an opportunity to try to start a new trend defensively.
Back of rotation progress: This is the last chance to make some strides with the back half of the rotation, whether it is starters who have been up and down like Tarris Reed Jr., rotation guys who have struggled like Tray Jackson, or outside of the rotation guys who haven?t got on the floor (George Washington III and Youssef Khayat). There could be at least some opportunities in this one for some on-the-job progress.

Back of rotation progress
: This is the last chance to make some strides with the back half of the rotation, whether it is starters who have been up and down like Tarris Reed Jr., rotation guys who have struggled like Tray Jackson, or outside of the rotation guys who haven?t got on the floor (George Washington III and Youssef Khayat). There could be at least some opportunities in this one for some on-the-job progress.

BOTTOM LINE

The only reason this isn?t an open-and-shut game preview is that Michigan lost the last time it played a team this bad (Central Michigan, a year ago), Michigan lost the last buy game it played (Long Beach State, a month ago), and Michigan almost lost the last time it played Eastern Michigan.

The Wolverines will be favored by at least 20 points when the line drops and KenPom pegs it at 83-63 with a 97% chance of victory.

GO BLUE!

Starting lineup says Cheddar starting over Reed. Wouldn't be the first time the release is screwed up so take it with a grain of salt. Especially considering Reed is coming off his best game.

Go Blue!

Been watching this game and I?m going to continue to do so. I might even post some analysis on this thread as the game progresses.

Cruise control type of game after finals week. Get the comfortable win, be happy, and get ready for Florida on Tuesday.

EMU can just turn the bus around and head back down Washtenaw Ave., until they see that big phallic watertower and lots of car thieves (everyone I knew who went to Ypsilanti for any reason during college had their car broken into)

Cruise control type of game after finals week. Get the comfortable win, be happy, and get ready for Florida on Tuesday.

The Jumpman Invitational, 7 pm Eastern, on ESPN.

I always wanted to sponsor a college hoops tourney and name it jumpman, but I never got rich enough.

Maybe one day I?ll be rich enough to sponsor a nudist/hippy commune week out in the desert and call it Burning Man.

Would suck if it got rained out though.

See ya Tuesday!

I?m here all week!

I?m here ?til I?m dead!

Michigan forever!

Go Blue!

Back