Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops vs Illinois

thewolverines24

7 PM Eastern on ESPN.

KEYS

Lineup X-factors: Illinois can go with Dainja and Hawkins or move Hawkins to the five and play just one big. Epps? potential absence means that the Illini will go with Harris at PG, or go big and play a non-PG lineup with Ty Rodgers filling the gaps. There are no real secrets to how Michigan will lineup, other than how often it deploys both bigs together. However, the number of ways Illinois could mix and match leaves the opportunity for some in-game swings in either direction. It will be interesting to see how Michigan prepares for different Illinois looks, but more importantly how it responds to changes on the fly within the game.

Don?t foul Terrance Shannon Jr.: Shannon?s ability to get downhill and draw fouls is particularly dangerous for Michigan for two reasons. First, the Wolverines don?t have a great option to guard Shannon, which is why they spent the early part of the summer trying to recruit him. Second, Kobe Bufkin is the most obvious candidate to defend Shannon but he?s indispensable and foul trouble would be catastrophic for Michigan?s chances to win the game. The key is to make Shannon earn his points from the field and not the free-throw line. It?s worth Will Tschetter or Terrance Williams gambling to take a charge but Bufkin can?t afford to commit early fouls trying to slow down the Illini perimeter threat.

3-point variance: Volume 3-point shooting teams that aren?t particularly accurate are still incredibly dangerous. Illinois has struggled from 3-point range all season, but the perimeter volume means that there will be nights that 11 or 12 go in. The Illini have only shot better than 32% in one of their last ten games and that?s a streak of cold shooting that U-M will want to keep alive.

Transition defense: Illinois is at its best in a full-court transition game. Michigan?s transition defense is ranked 66th nationally in points allowed per game, which is solid overall, but it is also hard to tell how much of that is a product of playing in the Big Ten, where so few teams get out and run. The ability to stop the ball in transition will be tested on the road tonight in a way that it rarely has over the last two months.

MATCHUPS

Harris ? McDaniel
Shannon ? Bufkin
Mayer ? Howard/Baker
Hawkins ? Williams/Tschetter
Dainja ? Dickinson

Assuming that Harris gets the start, the matchup combinations are reasonably straightforward. The Shannon matchup is the most difficult for Michigan to cope with, but the X-factor in all of this is that Illinois wants to get to its five-out lineup with Hawkins for stretches, and Michigan wants to get to its two-big lineup with Reed and Dickinson. It feels like only one approach can win out, but I have no idea which that is.

BOTTOM LINE

Illinois could be just about anything on any given day. The injury to Epps makes tonight?s game even more of a wild card. Do the Illini look lost without their starting point guard, or do they catch lightning in a bottle with a new lineup combination? Do they make double-digit threes or continue shooting under 30%?

KenPom pegs the Wolverines as 4-point underdogs, predicting a 75-71 final and giving Michigan a 36% chance at the road upset.

GO BLUE!

Well Hunter made the opening 3, but he's been rough since.

Dug is awesome

Radio broadcast said we are down to 1 time-out.
Wtf. Why call a time-out ?
Point guard who is a 67% free throw shooter :( ??
Trail 33-31 at half.
Points off turnovers are killing us.

Illinois just found their groove. We're done. They're so much more athletic it's insane

What the hell was Hunter doing? Driving on the hook from that bar back?

Dumb head coach brings out the stupid in players..
Why is Hunter bring ball up.

Also Michigan goes up 5 or 6 in inn first ot after Hunter made a shot in which he should
been called for traveling and the he knows it but still gets the crowd going.
It?s probably why he was called for the elbow

Why is Michigan using a time out in first half in last 20 seconds?
They didn?t have the lose it timeout left according to radio broadcast.

Also on last play in regulation why isn?t Hunter just using his hook Shot ?
So stupid to try that move.

When was the last time this team won with Jett playing ?I?m just curious.
Of the few plays I watched on defense he just doesn?t play it.

Btw he was hammered on his game tying three with score 70-70.

Last edited:
Face it this team has choked to many games away down the stretch of games. You have to start blaming the staff and coach for all these meltdowns. That was another meltdown in Ot..

Is this record good enough at Michigan ? When does he face criticism? I am just curious.
19-12
23-5
19-15
17-13

Tommy Amaker was shown the door after two 20 win seasons. I understand that Howard is better then Tommy but these Close game losses are starting to out way the games the he wins close. I don?t want him fired but back to back 15 loss seasons should Not be tolerated at Michigan. He is Blind to the fact his son plays zero defense. Gotta find a way to motivate Jett on defense.

Tommy?s record at Michigan

2001-02 Michigan 11?18 5?11 T?8th
2002?03 Michigan 18?12 10?6 T?3rd
2003?04 Michigan 23?11 8?8 T?5th NIT Champion
2004?05 Michigan 13?18 4?12 9th
2005?06 Michigan 22?11 8?8 T?6th NIT Runner-Up
2006?07 Michigan 22?13 8?8 T?7th NIT Second Round
Michigan: 109?83 (.568) 43?53 (.448)

Last edited:
Fucking hell. Have to win at IU now

Tonight was the game. We hardly ever play good at Indiana sadly .

Michigan had a 8 game winning streak against Indiana but have not lost 2 in a row.
Michigan is a terrible 65-108 against Indiana 17-66 on the road.

Last edited:
Up 7 with 1:49 left in ot. After Jett makes 2nd ft.
Up 4 with 1:23 when Hunter turns it over . I guess this was the dumb elbow.
What a stupid player..

Last edited:
Last 1:49 of ot. A clinic of how to blow a game. I was so pissed after my friend text me we choked and we were up 7. I deleted the dvr after
Hunters foul. Nice forearm Hunter . So stupid. Why are Howard?s teams so bad down the stretch sometimes ?

1:49 Jett Howard made Free Throw. 80 74
1:49 Jett Howard made Free Throw. 81 74
1:38 Terrence Shannon Jr. made Jumper. 81 76
1:38 Foul on Tarris Reed Jr.. 81 76
1:38 Terrence Shannon Jr. made Free Throw. 81 77
1:23 Foul on Hunter Dickinson. 81 77
1:23 Hunter Dickinson Turnover. 81 77
1:10 Ty Rodgers made Layup. Assisted by Terrence Shannon Jr.. 81 79
0:45 Dug McDaniel missed Three Point Jumper. 81 79
0:42 Matthew Mayer Defensive Rebound. 81 79
0:24 Terrence Shannon Jr. made Layup. 81 81
0:24 Foul on Tarris Reed Jr.. 81 81