Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops vs Iowa

thewolverines24

Michigan hosts Iowa on Saturday (5:00 p.m., FS1) for its first Big Ten rematch of the season. The Wolverines won at Iowa in early December in what felt like a last-ditch effort to keep the train on the track. The Wolverines followed that up with a win over Eastern Michigan before losing seven of their next eight.
KEYS

Transition defense: The target from the first meeting was holding Iowa under 20 transition points, and Michigan was able to do that, even with some late-game foolishness. In this one, that should be the goal again to keep the Hawkeyes under control.

Score in the paint: Tarris Reed Jr. was excellent in the first meeting, and the goal should be to get Michigan?s bigs involved early and often. Iowa lacks elite rim protection and 2-point defense, and there should be finishing opportunities for Nkamhoua and Reed in the paint and around the basket.

Handle zone: Michigan hasn?
PHP:
t been great against zone defenses this year, 43rd percentile, and saw a ton of it against Iowa in the first meeting. I?d expect more of the same given that the Wolverines scored .84 points per play against zone in the first meeting compared to 1 point per play against man.

BOTTOM LINE

Michigan-Iowa games seem to lean into the unexpected of late. Saturday?s matchup takes things even further because it is tough to have any expectations for either group. KenPom pegs Michigan as narrow 85-84 favorites and calls it a 50-50 game.

Likely one of the last chances for a win this season. Go Blue!

As anyone who is watching knows, the game just came on television.

Is the team wearing its road uniforms at home to make Dug forget that he is suspended from going on the road?

This team certainly know what it takes to play to make the wheels come off the wagon.

When Juwan was playing here, they reserved that intuitivity for championship games.

How does this AD still have a job.

Maybe because he didn?t fire Harbaugh three years ago when you and many others were screaming for that to happen?

Since then, three conference championships and the national championship.

Maybe that?s why.

Harbaugh?s gone?

Okay.

The football program hasn?t lost a single game since he left.

In my opinion, the transition couldn?t have gone better.

Let?s give the new coach who really isn?t new a shot before we start calling for people to be fired.

JFC.

A freakin natty in football.

What do we want?

Hey - fire the AD!

Por el amor de friggin? Dios.

Maybe because he didn?t fire Harbaugh three years ago when you and many others were screaming for that to happen?

Since then, three conference championships and the national championship.

Maybe that?s why.

Harbaugh?s gone?

Okay.

The football program hasn?t lost a single game since he left.

In my opinion, the transition couldn?t have gone better.

Let?s give the new coach who really isn?t new a shot before we start calling for people to be fired.

JFC.

A freakin natty in football.

What do we want?

Hey - fire the AD!

Por el amor de friggin? Dios.

Idk I guess when you dance with the devil you have to pay some price.
Maybe the ph will all be worth it.

No reason to have a basketball coach who acts like Howard. Yes we are all thankful Jimmy figured it out before he had to be let go but stop acting like he was squeaky clean.

Under Manuel
Baseball coach who made NCCA final series not paid enough.
Great Basketball coach leaves.
Hockey coach let go because he is verbally abusing staffers or something like that.
Smith Gun issue.
Dug McDaniel can?t play road games.
Jim leaves while under 2 ncaa investigations. I have zero clue how serious either are.
But they are a worry.
Covid dead period .
Connor Stallions.
Edwards pops off with the mouth.

Am I missing anything ? My issue with Ward is he never says anything does he ? Good or bad.
Hell maybe Howard will figure it out. Hopefully he does.

Last edited:
Idk I guess when you dance with the devil you have to pay some price.
Maybe the ph will all be worth it.

No reason to have a basketball coach who acts like Howard. Yes we are all thankful Jimmy figured it out before he had to be let go but stop acting like he was squeaky clean.

Under Manuel
Baseball coach who made NCCA final series not paid enough.
Great Basketball coach leaves.
Hockey coach let go because he is verbally abusing staffers or something like that.
Smith Gun issue.
Dug McDaniel can?t play road games.
Jim leaves while under 2 ncaa investigations. I have zero clue how serious either are.
But they are a worry.
Covid dead period .
Connor Stallions.
Edwards pops off with the mouth.

Am I missing anything ? My issue with Ward is he never says anything does he ? Good or bad.
Hell maybe Howard will figure it out. Hopefully he does.

Okay.

You?re right.

Because everywhere that isn?t Michigan - or the real world - is BarbieWorld.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CUj2AWEJnwQ&pp=ygUMYmFyYmllIHdvcmxk

You are literally ignoring that our team just won the national championship to bitch about shit
that is comparatively irrelevant.

Have a nice evening.

Okay.

You?re right.

Because everywhere that isn?t Michigan - or the real world - is BarbieWorld.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CUj2AWEJnwQ&pp=ygUMYmFyYmllIHdvcmxk

You are literally ignoring that our team just won the national championship to bitch about shit
that is comparatively irrelevant.

Have a nice evening.

No I?m not right or wrong. We are discussing this. But some of the stuff is concerning. I really hope Moore is a great head coach. But We hired Howard and he had never been a head coach. So far sadly it hasn?t worked. How long should we give him ? Should we give a Howard longer ? I?m just asking idk.

Last edited:
Early on Howard got a lot of praise, won some coaching awards in '21 and we got to an elite 8. Howard might be a thug and maybe his time is up but to say it it hasn't worked out is not entirely accurate. He did have some really good success.

As far as Harbaugh, he beat OSU 3 teams, and got us a chip. The other stuff doesn't matter.. Plus I think it's more a witch hunt. I'm not mad at him at all. Heck, he even took a pay while at Michigan. If you wanted him a deal should have already been in place. Everyone in the world knew he eventually was going back to the NFL.

No I?m not right or wrong. We are discussing this. But some of the stuff is concerning. I really hope Moore is a great head coach. But We hired Howard and he had never been a head coach. So far sadly it hasn?t worked. How long should we give him ? Should we give a Howard longer ? I?m just asking idk.

Okay, well, you fired off a litany of complaints about Manuel not related to Juwan Howard.

The run in baseball was fun, but it?s not a revenue sport. I don?t know what the budget is to pay a baseball coach.

I think the hockey coach is relatively new, having replaced the institutional Red Whatsissface. I don?t know the detes of what happened.

I?m glad Harbaugh came - unlike a lot of posters on this board (fire Jim now? He didn?t even go to some or other B1G photo op day?) and I?m glad about the Natty. I?m glad Sherrone got promoted just about immediately - a Bo Legacy choice.

If it?s time to replace Juwan, so be it. Things have been regressing, pretty much since season 1.

Back