Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops vs. Northwestern

Spartanmack

Anyone see the game? Sounds like a typical let down loss. Shooting poorly - 39% from field 25% from 3 (but still jacked up 31 attempts) and an abysmal 50% on FTs, not dominating the boards - barely edged a less athletic team 33-32 and playing soft perimeter defense against a good shooting team (43% from 3 coming into the game and they shot 47% last night). The silver lining appears to be only 8 turnovers.

Didn’t defend well
Didn’t shoot well
Didn’t rebound well
Got outhustled and outworked. Zero energy
Questionable lineups

So yeah it was a complete debacle

I’m at my last wits with Kithier and Bingham. Kithier does not add a single thing of value to this team. Bingham is good for a blocked shot and interior defense but his offense game is nonexistent outside of 4 feet of the basket. I don’t get why Malik Hall isn’t getting way more minutes. I think he’s far and away our most underrated player and is our most physical big man. Loyer is what he is, I’ve said for 3 years now this guy isn’t a big ten caliber player but I had to listen to “wait until his senior year he’ll be a classic MSU guy that blossoms every year and becomes good.”

Didn?t defend well
Didn?t shoot well
Didn?t rebound well
Got outhustled and outworked. Zero energy
Questionable lineups

So yeah it was a complete debacle

I?m at my last wits with Kithier and Bingham. Kithier does not add a single thing of value to this team. Bingham is good for a blocked shot and interior defense but his offense game is nonexistent outside of 4 feet of the basket. I don?t get why Malik Hall isn?t getting way more minutes. I think he?s far and away our most underrated player and is our most physical big man. Loyer is what he is, I?ve said for 3 years now this guy isn?t a big ten caliber player but I had to listen to ?wait until his senior year he?ll be a classic MSU guy that blossoms every year and becomes good.?

I don't think I ever had much in terms of expectations for Kithier or Loyer - didn't think Loyer would ever be more than an undersized bench warmer, 5th or 6th guard Izzo could use to spell or punish other guards for a few minutes here and there - the kind of player Jack Hoiberg probably aspires to be. I agree 100% on Bingham - I thought his potential was huge and just wondered when it would be realized but he just seems like an overgrown kid who doesn't have what it takes or maybe even want to step into a bigger role.

It wouldn't be an msu team if izzo didn't over play a less talented player

It wouldn't be an msu team if izzo didn't over play a less talented player

Was that a problem last year? I don?t remember it being a big issue and was hoping he turned a corner last year but that appears to be an outlier.

If the leaders can play consistently, I think this team is talented enough to carry an overplayed guy through and still compete for a B1G title. Beyond that, who knows - it?s not clear to me there are any teams head and shoulders above everyone else. Dook and KY don?t look great, I?m always a seller of Gonzaga hype, haven?t seen Baylor and I think the B1G in general is probably over-hyped. If that?s the case, if you have a shot at the B1G you probably have a chance at the NC too.

Still bummed about 2019/20 - The team was so good and playing so well, I think that was ours to lose.

On Kithier and Costello...unless I?m remembering Costello wrong, he was pretty useless offensively (at least in terms of scoring) until his senior year and even then not consistently reliable.

I?d have to look, but yeah I recall Costello doing nothing his first 3 years and then being a stud his senior year offensively. Seemed like defensively he was decent prior to his breakout senior year.

Sparty v Wisky tomorrow morning, I think I’ll watch that. I my boss (i.e. wife) is forcing me to take the day off.

A lot of good teams in the B1G this year. At #19 in the country, Michigan is only the sixth highest ranked team in the league out of seven ranked teams.

Last edited:
Back