Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops vs Purdue

thewolverines24

2:30 PM ET on Fox.

KEYS
Get Zach Edey off the court: Purdue has two great bigs but Edey feels like the much bigger threat for Michigan. He?s the taller and larger player to defend Hunter Dickinson, he draws more fouls and Purdue?s offense reaches another level when he?s dominating a game. Per HoopLens, the Boilermakers score 1.26 points per possession with Edey on the floor and 1.12 points per possession with him on the bench.

Foul trouble: Purdue?s play through the post creates issues for Michigan not because the Wolverines are particularly vulnerable against post-ups, but because Hunter Dickinson is so crucial to Michigan on offense. The chance that Dickinson picks up early fouls would send the entire U-M game plan down the drain. Dickinson needs to play solid defense without fouling and avoid other unnecessary fouls (moving screens, rebounds and reach-ins) to stay on the court.

Ball screen offense: Purdue?s offense is close to unstoppable but its defense has its warts. It?s not the best game to throw it to Hunter Dickinson 25 times and let him operate on the block but I think there are opportunities to attack by making Purdue?s bigs defend in space. Michigan?s ball screen actions should be effective to spread out the Purdue defense and the key will be whether Jones and Brooks can find those passes into Dickinson on the role before Edey/Williams recover.

Transition defense: Michigan?s transition defense has been disastrous at times, especially over the last month, and Jaden Ivey is a good enough player to win a game in transition by himself. Michigan has to make improvements on that end of the floor, especially playing on the road at Mackey.

Go Blue!

We hit the rim on a wide open three! What an accomplishment.

Definitely losing this game by 20+

Going much better than I expected! We're 5/12 from three which feels miraculous

Can't guard Ivey at all. Can't make a comeback when he's getting everything he wants.

I?ve seen Dickinson throw in hooks with his right hand the season also. He wasn?t doing that last year. I guess these broadcasters haven?t watched as much Michigan basketball this season as I have.

Back