Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops vs UCF

thewolverines24

Hey! It didn't get postponed! Go Blue!

KEYS

Handle pressure & avoid turnovers: Michigan has only turned it over on 15.8% of its offensive possessions over the last four games, compared to 21.3% of possessions over the first seven games. Tonight?s game at Central Florida will be the first indication of whether that improvement is material or simply a product of facing less-aggressive defenses. UCF excels at forcing turnovers and should test the Wolverines at multiple spots on the floor. It will be crucial that Michigan?s guards avoid turnovers against UCF?s press and get the Wolverines into their offense quickly and efficiently.

Transition defense: UCF might not be efficient in transition, but it has a volume transition offense. Michigan?s transition defense hasn?t been outright bad this year (the Wolverines are ranked 22nd in points per game allowed in transition) but it has shown issues, especially early in the year. This will be a real test of defensive discipline, especially on the road. Forcing UCF to play a halfcourt game is the first step to flying out of Orlando with a win.

Defensive rebounding: Despite playing two bigs, Michigan?s defensive rebounding rank has fallen 20 spots this year. UCF is one of the more aggressive offensive rebounding teams the Wolverines have faced, and their ability to get offensive rebounds from the wing spots will be a crucial test for players like Caleb Houstan and DeVante? Jones.

Win the 3-point battle: UCF is ranked 122nd in 3-point volume and 345th in 3-point volume allowed. The Wolverines must take and make more threes than a UCF program that takes its fair share but is content to allow a lot of triples. The Wolverines have been inconsistent from deep, but should have no problem finding attempts against UCF?s over-aggressive defense. Eli Brooks has been struggling with his shot over the last month, but this feels like a big spot for him after a bit of rest and recovery over the long layoff.

KenPom projects a 69-67 win for the good guys.

They're hitting every 3 they put up in the 2nd half

Last edited:
I don't think anyone on this team likes playing with each other. Hunter has trashed Jones in some comments to the media, he's left him laying on the floor while walking past him. You never see anything like the way the team was connected and celebrated each other last year.

Yeah I think it's safe to say that while all these guys have talent and would be good pieces of puzzles on most teams.....as a whole they just don't seem to fit well together.

I don't see an identity or team leader still.

Yeah I think it's safe to say that while all these guys have talent and would be good pieces of puzzles on most teams.....as a whole they just don't seem to fit well together.

I don't see an identity or team leader still.

Dickinson needed to be the leader and he's obviously not suited for that. Eli isn't a vocal leader, so I guess we need a freshman to take on a leadership role. Pretty ridiculous to ask.

Jace Howard should take the rest of Johns' minutes this year. Maybe he could at least hit the glass and play some D for 8-9 minutes a game.

Glad I forgot about hoops . Truthfully so far this team is just not fun to watch and I am unsure why I feel like that.
Team will be lucky to win 5 big ten games playing like this.

Last edited:
Back