Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Houston in, Bentley out?

I'm sorry, I missed something...who is Florence? Was he the winner of the 9 CB tryout?

I'm sorry, I missed something...who is Florence? Was he the winner of the 9 CB tryout?

A vet we picked up at the end of the preseason. Started a lot of games the last few years in Denver, Buffalo, and San Diego. Made one big pass breakup in the St L game on a deep throw.

Hes a old vet. I think hes around 30 or older. He can hold his own for a few games, but will struggle against speedy WRs. Luckily, 49ers dont have too many speed wideouts. Houston can match up against Crabtree and Florence will be able to cover Moss/Manningham.

As for if Delmas starts...it isnt looking like it. I am assuming that he lions Brass wants to make sure he is 100% before he takes the field. They dont want him playing through an injury all season. IMO he could play today if we absolutely had to win this game (playoffs)

As for Bentley, since he has a concusion it appears we are at the mercy of the league. He could be cleared to play today, or tomorrow..or he could miss the next 2 weeks. It is really a crap shoot. He seems like he is good to go, but then again, so does Best.

with all the tests and bad press the NFL has gotten about concussions, it seems like concussions are resulting in longer and longer time away from the game. might come a point in the not-to-distant future that a concussion diagnosis results in a year away from the game, more on par with an Achillies injury. it can be frustrating because all appears normal to fans, but the test results prove otherwise so the players are out.

with the "minor" collisions that happen in the NFL, i wouldn't be surprised if dozens or more guys who never had visible concussion effects would still fail the test that compares to the baseline readings before the season.

Hes a old vet. I think hes around 30 or older. He can hold his own for a few games, but will struggle against speedy WRs. Luckily, 49ers dont have too many speed wideouts. Houston can match up against Crabtree and Florence will be able to cover Moss/Manningham.

An old vet at 30? Lol. Vet, sure but an old vet would be like Charles Woodson.

An old vet at 30? Lol. Vet, sure but an old vet would be like Charles Woodson.

I dunno..IMO an old vet CB is someone 30 or older. I havent looked at anything to prove this, but I would think that the vast majority of the CB's in the league are under 30. Charles Woodson is a very rare player, not many people play into their late 30s...especially at CB. Anyways, we are discussing semantics here, so to each their own.

Last edited:
I dunno..IMO an old vet CB is someone 30 or older. I havent looked at anything to prove this, but I would think that the vast majority of the CB's in the league are under 30. Charles Woodson is a very rare player, not many people play into their late 30s...especially at CB. Anyways, we are discussing symantics here, so to each their own.

I just thought it funny 30 was old, that's all.

I just thought it funny 30 was old, that's all.

I agree..saying 30 is 'old' seems counter intuitive. the NFL is similar to Tennis in which you are considered washed up at a time when most people are hitting their prime in their professions.

considering most guys come out of college and turn Pro at 22 or 23 and the shelf life of an NFL player is probably 6 or 7 years....if you're even still playing at 30 you've beat the odds

considering most guys come out of college and turn Pro at 22 or 23 and the shelf life of an NFL player is probably 6 or 7 years....if you're even still playing at 30 you've beat the odds

Maybe RB, CB and WR - skill positions. Oh and guys that aren't good. But QB, OL, DT - they can play until their mid 30's. And K's.

Lawrence Jackson back at practice for Lions. Houston practiced again. No Williams, Delmas, Travis Lewis or Bentley.

Maybe RB, CB and WR - skill positions. Oh and guys that aren't good. But QB, OL, DT - they can play until their mid 30's. And K's.

The average NFL player is retired by the age of 28

The average NFL player is retired by the age of 28

Average. Of course the ones who can't make it go out early. Like the the ones who don't play past 24-25. Brings the average way down.

is that corey Williams? If so...that's a blow.

Defensive end Lawrence Jackson (calf) and Corey Williams (knee) are listed as questionable. Williams hasn?t practiced all week, while Jackson returned in limited fashion Friday.

Back