Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Houston makes a deal with Detroit

af1991

The Rockets acquired a 2016 first-round pick and Joel Anthony from the Pistons for Donatas Motiejunas and Marcus Thornton, according to multiple reports. Motiejunas has 5.6 PPG this season, which is less than half of what he averaged last season.

I don't like this deal as much as the last one. Not because of the players, whom I think both make a lot of sense here. I just don't like giving up a first rounder here. A first rounder that is likely to end up in the 14-20 range.

I don't think we would be missing out on a star or anything, but both Montiejunas and Thornton are free agents. Montiejunas is an RFA, so he should be retained, but Thornton is much more likely to walk. I don't see Montiejunas being worth a first rounder given his injury history, and Thornton seems like a rental that doesn't make a huge impact this year.

I think it's more for the playoff push if any thing plus the draft is pretty weak. Detroit needs to make the playoffs in my opinion to keep the positive momentum going .

Last edited:
I don't like this deal as much as the last one. Not because of the players, whom I think both make a lot of sense here. I just don't like giving up a first rounder here. A first rounder that is likely to end up in the 14-20 range.

I don't think we would be missing out on a star or anything, but both Montiejunas and Thornton are free agents. Montiejunas is an RFA, so he should be retained, but Thornton is much more likely to walk. I don't see Montiejunas being worth a first rounder given his injury history, and Thornton seems like a rental that doesn't make a huge impact this year.

Or they could miss the playoffs entirely and be a lottery team. I wonder if it's a protected people, in case Detroit picks top 5 for example.

Or they could miss the playoffs entirely and be a lottery team. I wonder if it's a protected people, in case Detroit picks top 5 for example.

I read it was top 8 protected this year and top 10 the next two.

Last edited:
DMO is obviously the center piece for this trade. He has back issues, hopefully he has those under control. Otherwise he is very versatile on offense, not a good 1v1 defender but does protect the rim decently enough.

I know the (protected) 1st round pick will turn some people off. Incoming draft class is weak in many opinions and even if you managed to find gold in the mid rounds, they'd more then likely be a project.

I don't like this deal as much as the Tobias trade, but I don't see how anyone can call it stupid or bad. Unless they had their heart set on landing the next Kevin Durant with the 16th pick next season, then more power to you.

The value just isn't in Detroit's favor here. DMO is out the rest of the season. We will be trying to work out a contract based on sketchy health and zero actual minutes with the team. Thornton, in the meantime, is neither a long term piece nor particularly good. He's a mediocre shooter at best and consistently a poor defender. That's all fine if we hadn't given up anything of value (2nd round pick for example), but we could honestly have gotten a lot more for what we gave up.

DMO is obviously the center piece for this trade. He has back issues, hopefully he has those under control. Otherwise he is very versatile on offense, not a good 1v1 defender but does protect the rim decently enough.

I know the (protected) 1st round pick will turn some people off. Incoming draft class is weak in many opinions and even if you managed to find gold in the mid rounds, they'd more then likely be a project.

I don't like this deal as much as the Tobias trade, but I don't see how anyone can call it stupid or bad. Unless they had their heart set on landing the next Kevin Durant with the 16th pick next season, then more power to you.

Both are going to be FA next year. So you would rather trade for two back up players that you have for 2 months vs. 4 years of someone that have a chance to help the team down the road. It's not like these two bums are going to get the Pistons to the playoffs let alone out of the first round.

This is the problem of having your coach as the GM. This trade is about his current bench vs the long term health of the franchise. A good GM doesn't make this trade.

Both are going to be FA next year. So you would rather trade for two back up players that you have for 2 months vs. 4 years of someone that have a chance to help the team down the road. It's not like these two bums are going to get the Pistons to the playoffs let alone out of the first round.

This is the problem of having your coach as the GM. This trade is about his current bench vs the long term health of the franchise. A good GM doesn't make this trade.

I think DM is an RFA and would be back with us for next year too.

It's amazing what one year and a back injury can do. 1 year ago DMO was Houston's most untouchable asset outside of Howard and Harden. Now he's a 'bum' and a 'back up'.

And he's a RFA, highly doubtful he isn't with the Pistons next season. Everything hinges on the back injury. Was surely a gamble if nothing else.

Last edited:
Well, there goes my interest in the 2016 NBA draft. No first round pick?? Bleh.

Well, there goes my interest in the 2016 NBA draft. No first round pick?? Bleh.

I'm impressed that you've had any interest in any recent draft. Last time I remember the Pistons picking top 5 was Darko and that wasn't even supposed to be their pick. Is Grant Hill the last actual top 5 pick that belonged to the Pistons? If I'm not forgetting anyone, I don't even feel bad for not caring...damn that sucks.

The value just isn't in Detroit's favor here. DMO is out the rest of the season. We will be trying to work out a contract based on sketchy health and zero actual minutes with the team. Thornton, in the meantime, is neither a long term piece nor particularly good. He's a mediocre shooter at best and consistently a poor defender. That's all fine if we hadn't given up anything of value (2nd round pick for example), but we could honestly have gotten a lot more for what we gave up.

DMO isn't out for the season. Secondly Marcus Thornton provides bench scoring which is what we need. A first rounder this year gets us what exactly? You have a young tangible player in DMO who has every bit of mid first value and this year's draft is easily one of the worst ever after Ben simmons.

His restricted slot for next year is less than mid level exception which is a steal given the cap blow out on the horizon. So that and Joel Anthony who never plays.

That is too much? Lol ok.

It's amazing what one year and a back injury can do. 1 year ago DMO was Houston's most untouchable asset outside of Howard and Harden. Now he's a 'bum' and a 'back up'.

And he's a RFA, highly doubtful he isn't with the Pistons next season. Everything hinges on the back injury. Was surely a gamble if nothing else.

It's a "gamble" on his health sure but a mid first in this draft isn't likely to net more than what he can imo. Half of them bust out as it is.

Damn, hawks got kirk hinrich for just a 2nd round pick. Would have been a perfect fit

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm in agreement with most of you. I don't like this trade. I hope I end up wrong. Hopefully, DMO's injuries don't continue in Detroit. I was hoping for Taurean Prince in the NBA draft so I think that's the biggest reason I didn't want to give up the pick, plus I just hate giving up first rounders. Only time I feel like we can warrant trading first rounders is for a big time player or if we are on the fringe of a championship caliber squad and we'd put ourselves in contention with a trade. Neither of which this move is. It's similar to the Harris trade in the sense that this is essentially a free agent move because the Pistons don't feel confident they can obtain the guys that fit their team in the open market at a price they like. If we do re-sign DMO, which is likely, I hope it's a team friendly deal considering his injury history.

I don't mind it. If the draft is weak and you only lose a teens pick I can live with that.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back