Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

How many sacks...

evolutionkb

For Ansah to get DROY? Lotulelei has been a favorite after about 4 weeks in. Ziggy is coming on now, with 4 sacks in the last two weeks. Currently at 7, I think he will need 12 to win.

Is that what defines ROY, sacks?

It shouldn't

I think Richardson from the Jets has a good shot to win it. He has 3.5 sacks (keep in mind he plays DE in a 3-4 scheme), he's been great against the run which doesn't always show up as flashy as sacks do on the stat sheet.

I really hate to use stats to talk about/compare D-lineman since it doesn't even tell half the story (especially between a 3-4 DE and a Wide 9/4-3 DE), but here they are...

Richardson
12 games
64 combined tackles (36 solo, 28 assist)
3.5 sacks
(ESPN stat?) 12 Stuffs for -25 yards
1 FF

Ansah
10 games
24 combined tackles (14 solo, 10 assist)
7 sacks
1 stuff for -3 yards
2 FF

It shouldn't

I think Richardson from the Jets has a good shot to win it. He has 3.5 sacks (keep in mind he plays DE in a 3-4 scheme), he's been great against the run which doesn't always show up as flashy as sacks do on the stat sheet.

I really hate to use stats to talk about/compare D-lineman since it doesn't even tell half the story (especially between a 3-4 DE and a Wide 9/4-3 DE), but here they are...

Richardson
12 games
3.5 sacks
1 FF

Ansah
10 games
7 sacks
1 stuff for -3 yards
2 FF

Wow, talk about flying under the radar. I'll have to pay more attention to that guy. Pretty impressive.

It shouldn't

Richardson
12 games
3.5 sacks
1 FF

Ansah
10 games
7 sacks
1 stuff for -3 yards
2 FF

Impressive indeed. You forgot Ansah's pick 6. :) I looked at number of rushes for each opponent they faced. On average the Jets have faced 5 more rushes a game than the Lions. Between this year and last, Jets run defense has improved more as well. Like you said though, it is very hard to compare players in two different positions. But nobody has answered the question. :D How many more sacks does it take for Ansah to win it? We both know people froth at the mouth with the large number of sacks.

If he gets over 10 sacks he more than exceeded my expectations as a rookie de....I was hoping for 8

The 9-wide DE's it's tough to get the tackles and 'stuffs' like a 3-4. But Richardson is in the lead and quite comfortably, IMO, at least vs Ansah.

Last edited:
The most surprising thing is that we lost both starting DE's and our D has gotten much better. Cliff could get sacks with the best of them but was useless vs a screen or a run. We mow have guys who can do it all. Last year teams averaged 118 yds a game rushing. This year its down to 82. It went from 4.5 yds per carry to 3.7. AP took the first run of the year 83 yds and after that they have played really well.

Ziggy has been better than I expected this year. I knew he was very raw and I thought it would take 1-2 years for him to make an impact. And Taylor has also been playing great lately and I wasnt sure he would even make the team.

The most surprising thing is that we lost both starting DE's and our D has gotten much better. Cliff could get sacks with the best of them but was useless vs a screen or a run. We mow have guys who can do it all. Last year teams averaged 118 yds a game rushing. This year its down to 82. It went from 4.5 yds per carry to 3.7. AP took the first run of the year 83 yds and after that they have played really well.

Ziggy has been better than I expected this year. I knew he was very raw and I thought it would take 1-2 years for him to make an impact. And Taylor has also been playing great lately and I wasnt sure he would even make the team.

The DLINE has gotten better. Not surprising since we had an old guy at one DE spot last year. But as far as defense goes, the secondary still blows..

I don't think that surprises anyone who watched games the last two years. Avril is one of the worst DE's in the league vs the run.....and VandenBoesch was just awful all around in 2012. Willie Young was a draft steal and is solid....Same with Taylor, who could turn out to be pretty damn good. Ansah is the real deal.....and will only get better. All this and Jones has missed most of the year.....and he might be the best of them.....all around that is.

The DLINE has gotten better. Not surprising since we had an old guy at one DE spot last year. But as far as defense goes, the secondary still blows..

The back four is bad......but to me, most of that is on Gunthers turrble scheme. The Lions could have Sherman, Patrick Peterson, Earl Thomas and Eric Berry and still not be great.

We don't blitz and play soft coverages.....so when the front four don't get to the QB (which they DONT consistently) there is a LOT of space out there. That's why they are so feast or famine.

The back four is bad......but to me, most of that is on Gunthers turrble scheme. The Lions could have Sherman, Patrick Peterson, Earl Thomas and Eric Berry and still not be great.

We don't blitz and play soft coverages.....so when the front four don't get to the QB (which they DONT consistently) there is a LOT of space out there. That's why they are so feast or famine.

I agree about the soft coverage but you actually believe guys like Houston can play tight, cover their man? I don't. They suck. Gunther is horrible, no doubt, but closer coverage won't help. In-fact I bet if we played consistent man-to-man we'd be much worse than 7-5.

I agree about the soft coverage but you actually believe guys like Houston can play tight, cover their man? I don't. They suck. Gunther is horrible, no doubt, but closer coverage won't help. In-fact I bet if we played consistent man-to-man we'd be much worse than 7-5.

I never said that. But BLITZING and playing tighter man coverage would help.

Not every play, but right now, if you're an opponents offensive coordinator......Detroit has to be one of your easier games to plan for. No blitz packages to account for.....same sets of coverages every week.

You block 5 and run vertical and crossing routes.....and if the Lions are getting pressure, you keep in a TE or running back to chip.....then send them out on an underneath route.......cause the Lions don't cover them well at all.

I never said that. But BLITZING and playing tighter man coverage would help.

Not every play, but right now, if you're an opponents offensive coordinator......Detroit has to be one of your easier games to plan for. No blitz packages to account for.....same sets of coverages every week.

You block 5 and run vertical and crossing routes.....and if the Lions are getting pressure, you keep in a TE or running back to chip.....then send them out on an underneath route.......cause the Lions don't cover them well at all.

Blitzing is different. I agree on that, most here would. But as far as your "tighter man coverage" statement I would disagree. They don't have the talent to do that effectively. It sucks, yes, but that's why they stink.

Gunthers an idiot cause its been proven time and time again that if we don't get there then were going to get torched. ...and if were not getting there he never adjusts.

Gunthers an idiot cause its been proven time and time again that if we don't get there then were going to get torched. ...and if were not getting there he never adjusts.

Bam.

That's it.

No adjustments. Ever. If the front four aren't getting pressure.....we just keep ramming our heads into a wall.

Even the great CB cant cover for 4+ seconds consistently.

Back