Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

How to Make the Best Team in 2022

detroit1811

Now I am talking realistically here, but if the Lions saw an opportunity to make some noise with a weak schedule and potentially weak division, how would be go about making the best roster we could without mortgaging the future? To me that means not using a bunch of future assets. That doesn?t mean none, but giving up a 2023 and 2024 1st for a superstar is not realistic in our situation.

Re-sign UFA

JRM 2 years 7mil, year 1 cap hit 2.5mil - JRM has definitely improved his value to this team this year. He has gone from an after thought on defense to a serviceable starter for us. These are the types of guys you build your roster with and he can return as a potential starter/reliable depth, and your best special teams player.

Walker 2 years, 12mil, year 1 cap hit 4mil Walker had an awesome start to the year, but he has really faded down the stretch. Maybe part of that is injuries or dealing with a lot of youth in the secondary, but he has lost some money for sure. A two year deal allows him to hit free agency again before 30 at a chance for a bigger payday.

Charles Harris 3 years 24mil, year 1 cap hit 5mil This guy has made himself some money for sure. I believe the contract in reasonable as teams won?t be lining up to overpay a guy with only one year of solid production. He has already said he wants to come back so I believe they come to terms on a reasonable deal and show they are willing to keep their own.

Josh Reynolds 2 years 7mil year 1 cap hit 3mil Reynolds has added some stability to this offense and makes a lot of sense to keep him around. He makes for a reliiable #2 guy, but I also wouldn?t be upset if we added some talent that pushed him down the depth chart to #4.

Dean Marlowe 1 year 1.12mil (Vet Min) He got a lot of snaps in this defense and was serviceable more often then not. This is the type of deal that lets you release him if a younger player emerges as better depth in training camp.

Tim Boyle - 1 year 1.5mil The staff seems to like him and he seemed to progress a little each game. We could definitely do better, but I expect him back.

Re-Sign RFA

Evan Brown 1 year 2.433mil Was a solid fill in starter this year and provides excellent depth on the interior.

Jason Cabinda - Will not receive RFA tender. Re-sign at a lesser salary 1 year 1.25mil

C.J. Moore - Will not receive RFA tender. Re-sign to a lesser salary 1 year 1.25mil

Re-Sign ERFA

Jack Fox - 895k
Matt Nelson - 895k
Riley Patterson - 825k
Brock Wright - 825k
Tommy Kraemer - 825k.
Scott Daly - 825K

Releases

Trey Flowers - Post June 1st cut 16mil against the cap. No brainer for as much time as he has missed and the production he has had. Making him a Post June 1st designation free up a little over 5mil extra against the cap and gives us space to sign our draft class and a little extra going into the year.

Will Harris - Saves 2.54mil against the cap. Too much money to pay this guy and unless he wants to come back near the minimum, it is time to move on.

Restructure

Taylor Decker - Convert roughly 14mil of his base salary into a signing bonus free up 10.5mil in cap space in 2022 and spreading 3.5mil a year into the next three years.

With all these re-signings, cuts, and Decker?s restructure, we would have about 19mil going into free agency. There would be an addtional 16mil after June 1st from Flowers release which is enough to sign the rookie class and still have 5-6mil for in season moves. I have pushed about 9mil of dead cap into 2023, and 3.5mil a year in 2024 and 2025. With the cap expected to explode with the TV deals hitting in 2023 it isn?t a major issue.

Sign

Marcus Williams, S - 5 years, 70mil, year 1 cap hit 7mil This has been my #1 target for a long time. He will bring stability we haven?t had at safety since Glover Quinn left. I think his presence allows Walker to play more freely and will give a guy like Amani even more confidence to take more chances knowing he has Williams back there. This is the type of addition that can really elevate the entire defense and is well worth the money.

Sebastian Joseph-Day - 3 years, 18mil, year 1 cap hit 4mil Brad Holmes and Agnew know him well. He had an excellent year in 2020, and was having a great start to this season before he got hurt. That injury will likely knock down his value a little. He is an excellent run stuffer and has played DE and NT in the Rams scheme. I would bring him in as a starting 3-4 DE.

Eric Saubert - 2 years, 4mil, year 1 cap hit 1.5mil PFF has him as a top 10 run and pass blocker in 2021. With as much as we run the ball we need a very good backup blocking TE.

Deonte Harris - 2 year, 5mil, year 1 cap hit 2mil - He is a RFA, but with the Saints cap situation, I don?t see them tendering him. This guy is an electric return man and was able to show a bit at WR this season. He adds speed that nobody else possesses on this offense and would fill a nice role on this offense.

James Washington - 1 year 3mil - His skillset was a waste with late career Big Ben. He has great deep speed for a guy his size and has excellent ability to track and go up and get the ball downfield. He has been a little inconsistent throughout his career, but he also played in some talented WR groups early on and then a washed up Big Ben the past two seasons. I think he possesses a skill that nobody else on this team has and is a nice low risk high reward shot at WR.

Leighton Vander Esch - 2 years, 12mil, year one cap hit 4mil He had a really good start rookie year and looked like a future stud. He struggled a bit with injuries the next couple seasons and he wasn?t quite the same guy. This past year he started in almost every game and although he still didn?t play as well as his rookie year, he was solid. This guy still has some stud potential, but I think his floor is still a solid starter.

That is 21.5mil in cap space, but each guys knocks another off the top 51. In actuality, they will add no more than 17mil in cap space. That would leave us with roughly 2mil left until June 1st when we would get an additional 16mil from Flowers.

Draft

2 - Aidan Hutchinson, Edge - I think the majority of us want this to happen. The guy is as clean as it gets off the field and is exactly the type of player this team is looking for. He brings an excellent work ethic to go along with top notch leadership abilities. On the field he has plenty of high end traits. His upside is TJ Watt, who is a top 3 pass rusher in the NFL.

Trade 18 - New Orleans trades #18 and a 2023 2nd rounder for the 31st pick and the Rams 1st in 2023. The value is fairly even on the trade chart, but when it all shakes out in 2023, the Rams are likely to pick in the back end of the 1st and the Saints towards the top of the 2nd. It may be a 10-15 pick drop in 2023 which is well worth it to grab?

18 - Devin Lloyd, MLB - This guy is an absolute stud and with our 1st two picks we could grab two game changes in the front 7. I think Lloyd has Darius Leonard level upside, and if you have watched any Colts games recently, you can see the impact Leonard makes. This defense is desperate for a stud MLB and we go and get the best one in the draft.

34 - Jameson Williams, WR - He may not drop this far, but it isn?t completely farfetched. If he is gone there will still be some reliable options like one of London/Burks/Pickens/Bell still available. I think Williams can unlock so much for this offense. His ability to do more then just go deep makes him extremely valuable as CB?s can not just bail on the deep pass. He will open up so much more room in this offense for guys to work the underneath stuff as well as taking an extra defender out the box. His ACL injury may just work out perfectly for us.

66 - Devonta Wyatt, DT/DE- We need to build this D-Line as they got pushed around this past year. Brockers will not be here past this season, and Levi is still a question mark. Wyatt is projected from as high as the late 1st round to as low as a 3rd rounder. The link takes a bunch of big boards and makes a median ranking and Wyatt comes in at #55. This is probably a little later then he is expected to go, but at this point in time I am being optimistic. The Lions will be coaching him down at the Senior Bowl so they will have the inside scoop on him.

NFL Mock Draft Database

2022 Consensus Big Board | NFL Mock Draft Database
The 2022 Consensus NFL Big Board from NFL Mock Draft Database. We've compiled all featured big boards into a single board.

98 - Isaiah Likely, TE - This is another Senior Bowl connection. We need to build better TE depth. Saubert is nice as a blocker, but Likely offers a lot more long term upside. This guy is a willing blocker and gives the effort that a coach like Campbell would love. He also has the athleticisim to stretch the field, which is something no other TE on this roster would provide. He is definitely a bit raw and may take some time to develop, but I love his upside.

Grab some depth at safety, OT, and maybe even a QB to round out the draft.

Offense

QB - Goff, Boyle, (Rookie Practice Squad)
RB - Swift, Williams, Reynolds, Jefferson
FB - Cabinda
WR - Jameson, St. Brown, Reynolds, Washington, Cephus, Harris
TE - Hockenson, Saubert, Likely (Wright on practice squad)
LT - Decker, rookie
LG - Jackson, Kraemar
C - Ragnow, Evan Brown
RG - Vatai
RT - Sewell, Nelson

Defense

DE - Brockers, Joseph Day, Onwuzurike, Wyatt
NT - McNeil, Penisini
Edge - Hutchinson, R. Okwara, Harris, J. Okwara, Bryant
ILBer - Devin Lloyd, Vander Esch, JRM, Anzalone, Barnes
CB - Okudah, Amani, Parker, Jacobs, Melifonwu
S - Marcus Williams, Tracy Walker, Dean Marlowe, CJ Moore, rookie

Special Teams

K - Patterson
P - Fox
LS - Daly

The rookie class will take up about 11mil against the cap which leaves us with around 7mil going into the season. CB would be a big question mark, but I love the upside that we have in our current group. Honestly I think this is a talented, but young roster. I think this defense would have some real potential, especially as the defense goes on. Overall I pushed a total of 16mil of cap space into the future (2023: 9mil, 2024: 3.5mil, 2025: 3.5mil) and turned the Rams 1st in 2023 to the Saints 2nd. There is also some potential to roll some of that 7mil in cap space into 2023 to offset that 9mil a little.

Lol. Root for your team but this is ridiculous. No one will come to 2 win team in Detroit. Marcus Williams why would he come here over a playoff team?

I'm telling ya Mitch, get Rodgers out of the DIV and don't lose Glenn and the Lions are winning this DIV next year! 9-8. book it Mitch!

Last edited:
i think we could win the division with 7 wins next year if Rodgers leaves lol. Has that ever happened before post 16 game seasons began?

Homerun draft 1811.

I hate JRM and Anzalone. JRM probably resigns but hopefully its for ST only. Anzalone almost made it sound like hes retiring.

Doubt all those FAs come here...maybe 1 or 2. We need to hit on our drafts, let the young guys play and build up that culture so people will start to sign here....dont think were there yet.

Last edited:
Lol. Root for your team but this is ridiculous. No one will come to 2 win team in Detroit. Marcus Williams why would he come here over a playoff team?

Other players can clearly see how much these players play for these coaches. That means something. Not to mention Glenn was his position coach for years and the two were reportedly very close. Campbell also knows him well.

Same could have been said about Flowers. He was widely viewed as the best available free agent that year but he signed because of Patricia.

Joseph Day also knows Holmes and Agnew, and as being familiar with Pleasant and Brockers. Harris also knows Campbell. Washington is looking for opportunity and he would have that here. Only guy who may be a stretch is Vander Esch, but I doubt he has 10 teams knocking down his door or anything.

i think we could win the division with 7 wins next year if Rodgers leaves lol. Has that ever happened before post 16 game seasons began?

Homerun draft 1811.

I hate JRM and Anzalone. JRM probably resigns but hopefully its for ST only. Anzalone almost made it sound like hes retiring.

Doubt all those FAs come here...maybe 1 or 2. We need to hit on our drafts, let the young guys play and build up that culture so people will start to sign here....dont think were there yet.

I like JRM as quality depth and a top notch special teamer. I do agree that I prefer that he isn?t the opening day starter.

Other players can clearly see how much these players play for these coaches. That means something. Not to mention Glenn was his position coach for years and the two were reportedly very close. Campbell also knows him well.

Same could have been said about Flowers. He was widely viewed as the best available free agent that year but he signed because of Patricia.

Joseph Day also knows Holmes and Agnew, and as being familiar with Pleasant and Brockers. Harris also knows Campbell. Washington is looking for opportunity and he would have that here. Only guy who may be a stretch is Vander Esch, but I doubt he has 10 teams knocking down his door or anything.

Sure but players still want to play for winning teams.

Draft Willis or Pickett at #2, trade Goff w a late round pick and we?ll be headed in the right direction! Maybe Someone will take on Goff/7th for a 7th rounder next year.

Got to get Goff out of here ASAP!!!

Sure but players still want to play for winning teams.

Non winning teams sign a ton of big name free agents everywhere. This list isnt big names eithet other than Marcus Williams with a clear saints coaches connection

Non winning teams sign a ton of big name free agents everywhere. This list isnt big names eithet other than Marcus Williams with a clear saints coaches connection

Kind of my exact thoughts.

Also, top end teams don?t typically spend big in free agency.

Draft Willis or Pickett at #2, trade Goff w a late round pick and we?ll be headed in the right direction! Maybe Someone will take on Goff/7th for a 7th rounder next year.

Got to get Goff out of here ASAP!!!

I wouldn?t rule out us taking a QB, but Goff is our 2022 opening day starter guaranteed

Guaranteed 30 million in dead cap money with an exit

I don?t get caught up with this ?dead cap? and ?cap hits?. That shit is for losers, good teams find ways to figure it out.

Top 20 qb can with in this league....I said it even when we had Stafford.

There's still 0 talent on the defense, no playmaker at WR. Run game wasnt all that great. Swift had a down year.

Top 20 qb with nothing but a Top 12 oline around him will win nothing in this league.

Here is something someone posted on a different Lions board. I have no idea who this guy is and how credible he is, but it is an interesting talking point.

OK, Lions fans. here is the latest little rumor floating around Dove Valley (Broncos HQ). I cannot say it will happen?way too early, but this idea is being considered. First a little background, since Peyton manning retired, the QB position for the Broncos has been an absolute CF. After 37 years of never having back to back losing seasons, the Broncos have had five in a row and the natives are restless. It certainly hasn?t helped that they have also largely been employing coaches who are simply not very good, for the most part. But the Broncos have gone through 10 different starting QBs since 2016, and the recent experience with Teddy Bridgewater has demonstrated that a more radical response is now needed to jumpstart the team. Certainly, new coach Nathaniel Hackett will have a lot of input on this proposal.

So, the idea under consideration is to trade with the Lions for Jared Goff. Denver?s GM. George Paton, came from the Vikings and feels he understands the Lions very well. He is measuring whether the Lions may decide to pick a QB in the draft and re-boot from Goff. For the Broncos, Goff is considered a huge step up from Bridgewater, et al., and while he is neither a Mahomes (who else is?) or even an Herbert, he is considered to be as good or better than Derek Carr within the division. Additionally, Denver?s strong talent base of offensive weapons would give Goff what he needs to succeed, particularly the strong running attack which allows Goff to exploit the play action where he is the most effective. As much as many Lions fans have moaned about Goff?s play, he is a quantum leap over the stiffs who have played QB for the Broncos.

I have heard nothing about what compensation would be needed to obtain Goff, and it is likely far too early to even speculate, but I am sure it would have to include the #9 pick in the upcoming draft.

Enjoy!

He followed that up with this

A little clarification. First, the Rodgers thing must be sorted out to be sure, but the hiring of Hackett does not mean that Rodgers is coming to Denver. To the contrary, Hackett was hired solely because the Denver offense is a total disaster and he was viewed as the most likely person to fix the offense. Denver is absolutely loaded with talent in the skill positions of the offense, yet can?t even score 20 points per game. If Rodgers comes, he comes, but it will cost Denver dearly in draft picks and current roster talent. Broncos may pay, but also may balk at Packers? demands. Nevertheless, Hackett and Rodgers are NOT a tandem deal and no one with the Broncos believes that it is. What I reported was one of several options Paton and staff are exploring. In other words, given the extortionate demands expected for Rodgers, would the Broncos do better going a different direction?

Nor is this idle speculation. I have numerous friends at Dove Valley and this is not that big a deal to them. ( I am both a retired attorney and retired football referee who has worked all levels) George Paton is a very professional GM who will always explore options and will develop more than one contingency?the Broncos got a good one when they hired George, This represents just one of those options. There are other QBs being considered in the same way, but Goff has some unique aspects that MAY make him more appealing than the other options. Now, my friends over at Dove Valley may be shining me on, knowing I grew up a Lions fan, but I don?t think so?the rationale put forth makes too much sense.

Finally, those who suggest that Denver could just take a QB at #9OA fail to understand the Broncos situation?you are looking at it from the eyes of a Lions fan, but the Broncos and the Lions are in two very different situations. Denver is loaded with talent now and does not have four years for a rookie to pan out. The Broncos need a QB that can win games now, not four years hence. All that offensive skill talent is starting to come to the end of their rookie deals and hard choices will need to be made?they will not be able to keep everybody because they cannot afford to give everyone a payday. Right now, at $45MM under the cap, the Broncos could easily absorb Goff?s restructured contract and still have room to add other players. Rodger?s $45MM contract, on the other hand, would severely cramp their options.

Goff?s tenure with the Rams came undone in the eyes of many because the thing that made him so successful was the strong running game his first two years under McVay, but after that it was McVay who got away from the running game, and Goff doesn?t have the arm talent to win with just his arm (very few QBs do). Running the play action, Goff is very effective, and Denver has the pieces in place to make him successful right away.

In sum, I am not suggesting this will happen, nor am I suggesting it should happen. It is merely an option being talked about because it could propel the Broncos into the playoffs in short order . A lot of things have to happen first before this goes beyond the theory stage, but I did find it fascinating to ponder.

Here is something someone posted on a different Lions board. I have no idea who this guy is and how credible he is, but it is an interesting talking point.

OK, Lions fans. here is the latest little rumor floating around Dove Valley (Broncos HQ). I cannot say it will happen?way too early, but this idea is being considered. First a little background, since Peyton manning retired, the QB position for the Broncos has been an absolute CF. After 37 years of never having back to back losing seasons, the Broncos have had five in a row and the natives are restless. It certainly hasn?t helped that they have also largely been employing coaches who are simply not very good, for the most part. But the Broncos have gone through 10 different starting QBs since 2016, and the recent experience with Teddy Bridgewater has demonstrated that a more radical response is now needed to jumpstart the team. Certainly, new coach Nathaniel Hackett will have a lot of input on this proposal.

So, the idea under consideration is to trade with the Lions for Jared Goff. Denver?s GM. George Paton, came from the Vikings and feels he understands the Lions very well. He is measuring whether the Lions may decide to pick a QB in the draft and re-boot from Goff. For the Broncos, Goff is considered a huge step up from Bridgewater, et al., and while he is neither a Mahomes (who else is?) or even an Herbert, he is considered to be as good or better than Derek Carr within the division. Additionally, Denver?s strong talent base of offensive weapons would give Goff what he needs to succeed, particularly the strong running attack which allows Goff to exploit the play action where he is the most effective. As much as many Lions fans have moaned about Goff?s play, he is a quantum leap over the stiffs who have played QB for the Broncos.

I have heard nothing about what compensation would be needed to obtain Goff, and it is likely far too early to even speculate, but I am sure it would have to include the #9 pick in the upcoming draft.

Enjoy!

He followed that up with this

A little clarification. First, the Rodgers thing must be sorted out to be sure, but the hiring of Hackett does not mean that Rodgers is coming to Denver. To the contrary, Hackett was hired solely because the Denver offense is a total disaster and he was viewed as the most likely person to fix the offense. Denver is absolutely loaded with talent in the skill positions of the offense, yet can?t even score 20 points per game. If Rodgers comes, he comes, but it will cost Denver dearly in draft picks and current roster talent. Broncos may pay, but also may balk at Packers? demands. Nevertheless, Hackett and Rodgers are NOT a tandem deal and no one with the Broncos believes that it is. What I reported was one of several options Paton and staff are exploring. In other words, given the extortionate demands expected for Rodgers, would the Broncos do better going a different direction?

Nor is this idle speculation. I have numerous friends at Dove Valley and this is not that big a deal to them. ( I am both a retired attorney and retired football referee who has worked all levels) George Paton is a very professional GM who will always explore options and will develop more than one contingency?the Broncos got a good one when they hired George, This represents just one of those options. There are other QBs being considered in the same way, but Goff has some unique aspects that MAY make him more appealing than the other options. Now, my friends over at Dove Valley may be shining me on, knowing I grew up a Lions fan, but I don?t think so?the rationale put forth makes too much sense.

Finally, those who suggest that Denver could just take a QB at #9OA fail to understand the Broncos situation?you are looking at it from the eyes of a Lions fan, but the Broncos and the Lions are in two very different situations. Denver is loaded with talent now and does not have four years for a rookie to pan out. The Broncos need a QB that can win games now, not four years hence. All that offensive skill talent is starting to come to the end of their rookie deals and hard choices will need to be made?they will not be able to keep everybody because they cannot afford to give everyone a payday. Right now, at $45MM under the cap, the Broncos could easily absorb Goff?s restructured contract and still have room to add other players. Rodger?s $45MM contract, on the other hand, would severely cramp their options.

Goff?s tenure with the Rams came undone in the eyes of many because the thing that made him so successful was the strong running game his first two years under McVay, but after that it was McVay who got away from the running game, and Goff doesn?t have the arm talent to win with just his arm (very few QBs do). Running the play action, Goff is very effective, and Denver has the pieces in place to make him successful right away.

In sum, I am not suggesting this will happen, nor am I suggesting it should happen. It is merely an option being talked about because it could propel the Broncos into the playoffs in short order . A lot of things have to happen first before this goes beyond the theory stage, but I did find it fascinating to ponder.

Too much dead cap to trade Goff this off-season. Goff is the starting QB if healthy in 2022. 2023 is a completely different story.

Draft defense and wr. Same thing in free agency. If done properly and with good luck with health. This team can compete for a playoff spot depending on what happens in Green Bay.

I don?t get caught up with this ?dead cap? and ?cap hits?. That shit is for losers, good teams find ways to figure it out.

Lol al 32 gms make decisions from that. Sorry you have trouble with math

I think if arod is a Hackett fan he's more likely to go to Denver than goff. Not sure if he is or isn't.

Last edited:
Back