Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

HR Derby Thread

for as cocky as fielder seems in the batting stance he is so qiuet and only said a few words.

is he not very well educated? or whats the deal just nothen better to say?

for as cocky as fielder seems in the batting stance he is so qiuet and only said a few words.

is he not very well educated? or whats the deal just nothen better to say?

I think he's camera shy.

He was the same way in the press conference when they signed him, looked like he could not wait for it to be over.

Oh Yay the Legends and Celebrity Softball Game Now

This actually already happened right?

Who won?

Anyone?

I think he's camera shy.

He was the same way in the press conference when they signed him, looked like he could not wait for it to be over.

ya i remember that just.

just sounds weird one of the better players in mlb being camera shy.

ya i remember that just.

just sounds weird one of the better players in mlb being camera shy.

Well he grew up with a lot of attention on his father, first positive, then negative, at some point, he probably hated the media.

But as long as he swings the stick like that, he can turn into Rain Man on camera for all I care. :hitter:

"Uh Oh! Fifteen minutes to Wapner!"

Last edited:
I was at the 1971 ASG in Tiger Stadium. Imagine this HRD competition in THAT venue, with the limited participation of four contestants.

AL: F. Robinson, R. Jackson, F. Howard, N. Cash
Left off the team: H. Killebrew, C. Yastrzemski, B. Powell (INJ), Al Kaline, B. Melton (1971 AL HR champion)

NL: H. Aaron, W.Mays, W. McCovey, W. Stargell
Left off the team: B. Bonds, W. Davis, J. Bench, L. May, N. Colbert

But the game itself was a living HRD, so I had that going for me. Which was nice.

Last edited:
I was at the 1971 ASG in Tiger Stadium. Imagine this HRD competition in THAT venue, with the limited participation of four contestants.

Left off the team: H. Killebrew, C. Yastrzemski, B. Powell (INJ), Al Kaline, B. Melton (1971 AL HR champion)

But the game itself was a living HRD, so I had that going for me. Which was nice.

Launch is a word that comes to mind... It sure would be something..

I give Prince a lot of credit especially with how involved he is with his boys. Sometimes you see kids who dont have a very good relationship with their father act the same way when they have kids. But Prince seems to be breaking the cycle. You can tell his boys are his life and its good to see.

Wow. That's a nice memory. All those big names.

Wow. That's a nice memory. All those big names.

It gets better. I had a field tag and unlimited access to the field and dugouts. Stood and mingled with the players as they took BP and INF. Chatted with most all of them at some point. Sat just back of the NL pen, so that Jackson HR practically streaked overhead.

It gets better. I had a field tag and unlimited access to the field and dugouts. Stood and mingled with the players as they took BP and INF. Chatted with most all of them at some point. Sat just back of the NL pen, so that Jackson HR practically streaked overhead.

I was only 5 1/2 at that time. Sometimes I wish I was born earlier. So many great players.

I was only 5 1/2 at that time. Sometimes I wish I was born earlier. So many great players.

21 future Hall of Famers in that game and every one a legit selection. Rose should be 22. That's more than 33 percent of the combined rosters.

Last edited:
21 future Hall of Famers in that game and every one a legit selection. Rose should be 22. That's more than 33 percent of the combined rosters.

I look at today's game like I do at today's movies: Some great stuff but nothing like the old days.

Elias: Prince Fielder won the 2012 Home Run Derby. Fourteen of the last 17 Home Run Derby winners have been left-handed batters. Sammy Sosa (2000), Miguel Tejada (2004) and Vladimir Guerrero (2007) are the only non-lefties to win the Derby since 1996.

Elias: Five of the last six Home Run Derby winners have come from an American League team: Vladimir Guerrero in 2007 (Angels), Justin Morneau in 2008 (Twins), David Ortiz in 2010 (Red Sox), Robinson Cano in 2011 (Yankees), Prince Fielder in 2012 (Tigers). The exception came in 2009 when the Brewers' Prince Fielder won it.

Elias: Prince Fielder participated in his fourth Home Run Derby (2007, 2009, 2011, 2012). Only two other active players have participated in as many Home Run Derbys as Fielder: David Ortiz (five) and Lance Berkman (four). Ken Griffey, Jr. holds the record by being in eight Derbys.

Back