Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hutch retiring after 38 years

rumseyhouse77

Just saw the announcement that Coach Hutchins is retiring. Winningest coach all time at Michigan. Her teams got me interested in following the softball team. Explains why players have been entering the portal.

Yeah this explains the exodus. I wonder if they are hiring her assistant ?

Last edited:
Wait, what?

She?s retiring after 38 from now?

38 more years of womens softball knowing zero about how to run bases, or what to do on defense when the ball is hit to them?

Sorry, I can?t take it.

In 38 years I?ll be 100. I?ll probably be dead.

I need her to retire now, or at least after this season.

Just saw the announcement that Coach Hutchins is retiring. Winningest coach all time at Michigan. Her teams got me interested in following the softball team. Explains why players have been entering the portal.

Wait, what?

There?s literally a real transfer portal that exists for softball?

Sounds as likely and real as a transfer portal between the Avengers and the Justice League of America.

Who manages the portal? Star Trek or Star Wars?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VpfFnao-_BE
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p7uEoNxtbA0

Michigan names top assistant as head coach

Tholl Named Head Coach of Michigan Softball
8/24/2022 2:15:00 PM
// Leah Howard
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Warde Manuel, the University of Michigan's Donald R. Shepherd Director of Athletics, announced Wednesday afternoon (Aug. 24) that Bonnie Tholl has been named head softball coach. Tholl, herself a former Michigan softball standout, spent 29 years as the Wolverines' top assistant, including the last 20 as associate head coach.

Tholl, also the program's longtime recruiting coordinator, becomes the fourth head coach in Michigan program history, dating back to 1978, and assumes full control of the U-M softball following the retirement of 38-year head coach Carol Hutchins.

"I can think of no better person to lead our softball program than Bonnie Tholl," said Manuel. "Bonnie has recruited and helped to develop some of the biggest names in U-M softball history. I know that she will lead our student-athletes with the same culture of passion and positivity that we have grown accustomed to while continuing the trajectory of this program into the future."

"The greatest honor of my life has been to wear 'Michigan' across my chest as a student-athlete and as a coach," said Tholl, "and I am humbled by the opportunity to lead this beloved program. I am incredibly grateful to Athletic Director Warde Manuel and Assistant Athletic Director Lisa Savoury for the confidence placed in me.

"Our program mission will continue to be creating empowering experiences for our student-athletes with an emphasis on personal development, earning a renowned degree and winning championships. I am very proud of what Michigan softball represents on and off the field, and I am excited for the future of the program."

Entering her 30th overall season on the Michigan coaching staff, Tholl has contributed to nearly all of the program's postseason success, including 22 Big Ten regular-season titles since 1995, 10 Big Ten Tournament crowns, 27 consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances and 12 NCAA Women's College World Series appearances -- tied for the sixth most WCWS appearances in NCAA history.

As recruiting coordinator, she has been instrumental in bringing in players that account for 63 of Michigan's 69 All-America honors and 15 Big Ten Player of the Year and 12 Big Ten Pitcher of the Year awards.

In 2005, Tholl, Hutchins and assistant coach Jennifer Brundage were named the Speedline/NFCA National Coaching Staff of the Year honor after Michigan became the first program east of the Mississippi River to capture the national title, capping a memorable 65-7 season with a dramatic 10-inning win over UCLA in game three of the WCWS championship series.

The Wolverines returned to the WCWS championship series in 2015, ultimately settling for NCAA runner-up honors after falling to Florida in the rubber game. The 2015 Wolverines boasted a 60-8 record, led the nation with 118 home runs, also set program records in runs scored (540) and RBI (504), and boasted a program-best five NFCA All-Americans.

In all, the trio of Hutchins, Tholl and Brundage earned 14 NFCA Great Lakes Region Coaching Staff of the Year awards from 1999-2021, while Tholl added a 15th citation as a part of the region's best coaching staff in 1998.

Prior to her return to Michigan, Tholl served as an assistant coach and graduate assistant for two seasons (1992-93) at Indiana University, where she earned a master's degree in athletic administration.

As a Wolverine student-athlete (1988-91), Tholl was a four-year starter at shortstop and was the first player in the history of the conference to earn four All-Big Ten first-team honors. She was selected to the All-Mideast Regional team three times -- twice as a first-team honoree and once on the second team -- and was one of four Wolverines named to the Big Ten All-Decade (1982-92) softball team.

Tholl ranked among the Wolverines' offensive leaders in each of her collegiate seasons, including a team best in runs scored and walks over three consecutive years. She shares the Big Ten record for fewest strikeouts in a conference season (zero in 1991), ranking top 10 among the national leaders that season, and is the U-M record holder for most steals in a game with four against Florida A&M in 1990. A former U-M captain, Tholl was the recipient of the program's 1991 Michigan Maize and Blue award.

Tholl also participated in the 1993 Olympic Sports Festival and played with numerous Amateur Softball Association squads, earning ASA All-America second-team honors in 1992. She was invited to the 1996 U.S. Olympic Team tryout after a successful showing as a member of the U.S. Pan American Games qualifying team that advanced to the 1995 Pan American Games.

A native of Tinley Park, Ill., Tholl graduated from the University of Michigan in 1991 with a degree in sports management and communications.

Wait, what?

She?s retiring after 38 from now?

38 more years of womens softball knowing zero about how to run bases, or what to do on defense when the ball is hit to them?

Sorry, I can?t take it.

In 38 years I?ll be 100. I?ll probably be dead.

I need her to retire now, or at least after this season.

It doesn't say "in 38 years" it says "after 38 years", meaning she is retiring after having coached Michigan softball for 38 years.

Wait, what?

There?s literally a real transfer portal that exists for softball?

Sounds as likely and real as a transfer portal between the Avengers and the Justice League of America.

Who manages the portal? Star Trek or Star Wars?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VpfFnao-_BE
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p7uEoNxtbA0

Wouldn't it be a violation of Title IX not to have some sort of "portal" for women's sports? I think your post is a Title IX violation.

I don't know if there is a "portal" for women's softball. I do know that Storako transferred to Oklahoma pretty much right after last season ended, and I think there were other players that also transferred after last season. Hutch's retirement was probably the reason.

Back