Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

I?m Not Doing 2021 Countdown - Wake Me Up When September Ends - 2020 Countdown

I thought about it. I don't believe Harbaugh is the guy to get it done.

The talent gap is immense. Harbaugh's disorganized recruiting methods have left Grand Canyon sized gaps that give us no chance. CB recruiting has been a joke for years. Until that improves, OSU will continue to shred us. Vincent Gray runs a 4.8 40 and he may be our starting 2nd CB again this year. That statement is ridiculous and should be a joke, but it's unfortunately true.

We brought in one CB recruit in this class and he was a low ranked recruit, so there's no end in sight with regards to any competent passing offense picking the defense apart.

The talent gap is immense. Harbaugh's disorganized recruiting methods have left Grand Canyon sized gaps that give us no chance. CB recruiting has been a joke for years. Until that improves, OSU will continue to shred us. Vincent Gray runs a 4.8 40 and he may be our starting 2nd CB again this year. That statement is ridiculous and should be a joke, but it's unfortunately true.

We brought in one CB recruit in this class and he was a low ranked recruit, so there's no end in sight with regards to any competent passing offense picking the defense apart.

I'm reading/hearing about this in several places now

As much as I think competent coaching matters more than recruiting and "scheme" - and the RichRod/Hoke years and turnaround under Harbaugh supported that - it DOES seem like there's such a huge talent gap now between a handful of semi-pro college teams (or maybe just straight up professional now?) and everyone else.

I mean, when you pay to have players that are bigger, faster, and meaner (dumber?) than those of your competition at every single position on the field, AND they know they have to perform to keep collecting their "paychecks" during the year... there's not much to do.

A Goddamn Monkey could coach Georgia, Alabama, LSU, OSU, Clemson etc. to win more than 90% of their games these days. And for cheaper than a human coach.

I'm reading/hearing about this in several places now

As much as I think competent coaching matters more than recruiting and "scheme" - and the RichRod/Hoke years and turnaround under Harbaugh supported that - it DOES seem like there's such a huge talent gap now between a handful of semi-pro college teams (or maybe just straight up professional now?) and everyone else.

I mean, when you pay to have players that are bigger, faster, and meaner (dumber?) than those of your competition at every single position on the field, AND they know they have to perform to keep collecting their "paychecks" during the year... there's not much to do.

A Goddamn Monkey could coach Georgia, Alabama, LSU, OSU, Clemson etc. to win more than 90% of their games these days. And for cheaper than a human coach.

We don't have competent coaching either. Harbaugh's offensive philosophy is to play as little offense as possible aka run as few plays as we can. Our pacing is unbelievably terrible.

I don't know what happened to Jim, but he's lost it.

We don't have competent coaching either. Harbaugh's offensive philosophy is to play as little offense as possible aka run as few plays as we can. Our pacing is unbelievably terrible.

I don't know what happened to Jim, but he's lost it.

Yeah, I don't know either.

I kinda felt like the way the OSU game went in '16 kinda took the wind out of his sails. After the Big Ten fined him he was a lot less vocal, and active on twitter, and seemed more subdued in person.

I'd LOVE to know more about what sort of shit went down - if any - to get refs in that game who has been previously barred from reffing it. I don't care what anybody says.

I also think he's a decent guy, and I imagine a bit disillusioned with the sport - like any decent person would be, after all the things that are becoming more apparent about it... CTE, dirty money, traditional rivalries and schedules getting warped for advertising and TV money...

Yeah, I don't know either.

I kinda felt like the way the OSU game went in '16 kinda took the wind out of his sails. After the Big Ten fined him he was a lot less vocal, and active on twitter, and seemed more subdued in person.

I'd LOVE to know more about what sort of shit went down - if any - to get refs in that game who has been previously barred from reffing it. I don't care what anybody says.

I also think he's a decent guy, and I imagine a bit disillusioned with the sport - like any decent person would be, after all the things that are becoming more apparent about it... CTE, dirty money, traditional rivalries and schedules getting warped for advertising and TV money...

I'd love to know as well. The officiating in that game was worse than the clearly fixed game 6 of Kings vs Lakers.

Hoping Harbaugh is over his disillusionment. Maybe the younger, more energetic staff will light a new fire under his ass.

Last edited:
18 days

s-l300.jpg

R.54cc31e1abd0699bd50743888ef271c2

Jim Pickens DB 1975-1977

amani-toomer-football-players-american-photo-u2

Amani Toomer WR 1992-1995

24120518-standard.jpg

Antonio Bass WR 2005-2007

R.f14d619b69cc716ad11e8737a4a2a0be

John Gabler, "HB" 1967-1969 Royal Oak Kimball HS, RIP 1948-2021

https://youtu.be/EZEUt3pBQOM
Take your pick of Toomer highlights

16 days

OIP.RNJbk2XaVQHzGcAFT3WSIgAAAA

Mark Elzinga QB 1973-75

s-l300.jpg

Mike Jolly, DB 1976-1979

bf5_stevesmith25.jpeg

Steve Smith, QB 1980-83

OIP.iptP6fbaXxJrrNuKZVmJmgAAAA

Adrian Arrington, WR 2004-07

Screen-Shot-2017-06-22-at-5.10.30-PM.png

Jay Riemersma, TE 1991-95

https://youtu.be/eNjCjCWIWu4

0:28 I wonder what "William Wallace" said to Denard. Maybe something like "wish you were on our team."

Last edited:
15 days

1782231.jpg.0.jpg

Elvis-Grbac-999x.jpg

56feefa3a418f926c1036d428b3df145.jpg

1c568bcfff609253fedb31721e3d63b8.jpg

Player-Bass-Mike-240x300.jpg

davidarnold15.jpg

https://youtu.be/fJA3sJawFaY

I was supposed to be at this game bit the tickets arrived late in the mail. I remember watching it on TV and saying to by buddy "go for the touchdown" before the 4th-down snap and he thought I was nuts. Then ...

Keith was in my class at Ann Arbor Pioneer.

I knew his older brother better than I knew Keith.

Wow.

How did Brent Musburger go so far being so dumb?

Also is ?scrub to? the term you camera guys and video editors use?

Never heard it before but if it is I?ll start using it.

It will make my pretense that I am a professional more convincing to myself.

Wow.

That's why he went so far. Football is one of our forms of mass entertainment; nobody in the networks or the government that censors & licenses them wants some egg-head or intellectual stirring up the masses with critical commentary... they just want some moron in the booth who will yell "from way downtown!" or other stupid sports clich?s during the action.

They don't want like Noam Chomsky up their saying "It's shameful we're spending so much time & money watching & broadcasting these pointless athletic contests, while the world burns and poverty and homelessness in our own country are increasing on a daily basis."

Who wants to listen to that crap? Not me.

Wow.

Commentators are universally ignorant of the rules of the games in which they claim to possess ?extensive knowledge.? Still, he should have known that the XP was not possible.

Also is ?scrub to? the term you camera guys and video editors use?

Never heard it before but if it is I?ll start using it.

It will make my pretense that I am a professional more convincing to myself.

Mostly used when hunting for shots with a mouse in non-linear editing. You can see the footage and stop at will. In the days of tape, it was ?shuffle?, but we were organized enough to have actual logs and time code to the frame.

That's why he went so far. Football is one of our forms of mass entertainment; nobody in the networks or the government that censors & licenses them wants some egg-head or intellectual stirring up the masses with critical commentary... they just want some moron in the booth who will yell "from way downtown!" or other stupid sports clich?s during the action.

They don't want like Noam Chomsky up their saying "It's shameful we're spending so much time & money watching & broadcasting these pointless athletic contests, while the world burns and poverty and homelessness in our own country are increasing on a daily basis."

you should go volunteer at a homeless shelter on Saturdays & Sundays this fall. I'll be watching football.

you should go volunteer at a homeless shelter on Saturdays & Sundays this fall. I'll be watching football.

Okay, have fun.

Spoiler (spoilers?) alert:

- OSU over Wisconsin in the Big Ten final.

- The playoffs will include 4 of these 6 possible teams: Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, OSU or Oklahoma.

- OSU and Oklahoma will lose in the first round, unless they play eachother, in which case one will lose in the semifinal, and the other in the final.

- Clemson or Alabama will win it all. fewer people will watch (or care) than last year.

- None of the games will be exciting or memorable in anyway.

- Repeat all this verbatim for 2022.

11 days

R.8e14d6188452061a89350a46228fcc67

278px-Alvin_Wistert_1950.png

R.68b0f223f8bd12536e063bbb2c299311

url

R.2e8f3eb801e9f4817d4a46731347df62

image_thumb_93.png

Few players wore this number and I'm not going to add any unnamed players who wore it recently.

Last edited:

Wait, what?

I?m pretty sure Noam Chomsky says shit like that. He says it every day.

Know the difference between Noam Chomsky and Brent Musberger?

Chomsky would know that when there is no time on the game clock and the team possessing the ball is in the lead - the game is over. That team has won.

Even a broke clock is right twice a day.

Back