Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

If Cabrera gets the Triple Crown

beez

n doesn't get the MVP, I think it's safe to say the world will be ending this off season in December. From all the talk I hear on TV/radio it sounds very likely Trout will win the MVP this season. So lets just wait n see before we discuss Leyland coming back or potential off season moves.

I dont think it matters if Cabrera gets the triple crown, most people made up their minds months ago that they were going to vote for Trout. Add five years onto Trout and Cabrera might get more consideration.

As the season winds down and if he continues to be in a realistic hunt for the triple crown there will be a ton of media attention on him....the voters will be swayed in his favor.

I think that Miguel has lifted his chances in the last two months because he's doing what Trout isn't--carrying his team on his shoulders.

Last edited:
Depends on what voters think of defense. Its a big difference and even though Miggy has a 50 point lead in OPS, Trouts Offensive WAR is still higher.

Depends on what voters think of defense. Its a big difference and even though Miggy has a 50 point lead in OPS, Trouts Offensive WAR is still higher.

Sabermetrics are stupid on guaging a player. I was listening to 97.1 this morning and Stoney asked Leyland about the sabermetrics part of the game. Apparentley there's a baseball player NOT named Mike Trout who is having a "better year" than Miggy according to geekametrics and Leyland simply asked, "would you trade that baseball player for Miggy"? The answer was an astounding NO chance on Earth. Leyland than proceeded to say, "Well, i don't belive in it, neither should you".

Smartest thing i've ever heard from the old man..lol.

Im really scratching my head as to what makes Cano have a better WAR than Cabby. Does he have a higher average, more HRs or more RBIs? not even close. Does he have ANY offensive stat higher? Well he has stuck out one less and has one more stolen base. I got it! Stolen bases are the most important stat in WAR.

Last edited:
Im really scratching my head as to what makes Cano have a better WAR than Cabby. Does he have a higher average, more HRs or more RBIs? not even close. Does he have ANY offensive stat higher? Well he has stuck out one less and has one more stolen base. I got it! Stolen bases are the most important stat in WAR.

Defense is included and consideration is given to the position. It is Wins Above Replacement which means cano would have to be replaced by a run of the mill 2B. Most 2B suck offensively so he is far superior to any of his counterparts. Omar Infante is a 0.3 WAR

It's not unprecedented for a player to win the TC and lose out on the MVP.

You should probably familiarize yourself with a statistic before you mock it, otherwise you just look ignorant.

Wins Above Replacement (WAR) is an absolute Garbage statistic.

It's not unprecedented for a player to win the TC and lose out on the MVP.

Correct....Ted Williams, and iirc 1947...lost to the yankees' 2B joe gordon, Rogers Hornsby, Lou Gehrig iirc to Mickey Cochrane, and Chuck Klein,

Because last year on the American League, Ben Zobrist was the WAR leader. He wasn't a MVP candidate. It is a nice statistic but MVP voting should never be so heavily influenced by one statistic.

If we get a playoff birth then Miggy gets it triple crown or no triple crown imo. The fact anyone would say for sure theyll give it to miggy if he gets the triple crown but NOT give it to him if he ends up losing the HR race by one....its the stupidest fucking thing i ever heard. Id love to hear that guys dumb ass argument.

If miggy doesnt get the triple crown and doesnt lead the team to the playoffs then theres a good chance Trout wins. Which is slightly absurd cause his numbers have fallen off as of late and his teams performance is declining because of it.

If they are giving it to trout because of leading in WAR, then they have to give it to Verlander for the Cy Young because he leads in WAR too!!

doesn't WAR compare that said person to the minor leaguer or replacement player at that position? so if Cano is higher than Beast, it only means that Cano has less competition among 2nd basemen, and Cabrera has more of a talent pool from 3rd basemen. IDK is this right?

Back