Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

If Calvin retires does he make the HOF?

dtroitlionsfan951

Looking at his numbers right now... I'd have to say no way. I know he wants to stay healthy like Barry but unlike Barry Calvin is still a little bit away from top numbers for his position. Considering most wr's play much longer than 30 years old. The top ones I mean. That would be an interesting thing for him to consider as well. Discuss.

Looking at his numbers right now... I'd have to say no way. I know he wants to stay healthy like Barry but unlike Barry Calvin is still a little bit away from top numbers for his position. Considering most wr's play much longer than 30 years old. The top ones I mean. That would be an interesting thing for him to consider as well. Discuss.

No way??

He'd be first ballot. Without question.

He has the accomplishments and single seasons to easily make it. But his career numbers don't look it yet..sorry.

It's not all about career numbers. Can you name one WR or RB (or player at any position for that matter) who was unanimously considered the best at his position for a 4-5+ year period that has NOT made the HOF?

Go ahead.....I'll wait.

Last edited:
Not sure about 1st ballot automatically but he certainly will be considered and I I don't see why he wouldn't be. Remember Gale Sayers. He didn't have a long career. Sometimes it's not about longevity.

And with the single season record Julio came within 93 yards of breaking it and Antonio came within 130 and played with back ups for 4 games. That record is toast.

And with the single season record Julio came within 93 yards of breaking it and Antonio came within 130 and played with back ups for 4 games. That record is toast.

Yeah, that one won't stand long. Maybe a year or two until someone hits 2,000 yards.

And it really only matters if he was one of the best in his time. No doubt he has.

I see that Isaac Bruce didn't make the final 15 today. Though Owens and Harrison did.

You know this is an interesting debate they had on 105.1 today. I was at first in the camp of "there is no debate, he's a first ballet." But some points were brought up about how this is such a different league and how there are plenty of WRs that have somewhat similar numbers to Calvin and may not get in. Who knows.

He's a good guy and I think that helps his cause. What might hurt is the fact there was nothing special done in the playoffs, because the team just sucks.

The number 1 thing deciding if he is first ballot will be who else is on the ballot that year, it's really hard to say now if he will be or won't be.

But if you're asking if he deserves it on merit, I'm really surprised some of you have a hard time seeing it. Calvin owns over a dozen NFL records and you'd be hard pressed to find someone that would say he wasn't the absolute best at his position for a 4-6 year stretch.

In an age where concussions and health issues have been brought to the attention of everyone due to how violent the game is, I really don't think he will be penalized because he 'only' played 9 seasons.

Last edited:
As far as records go his single season recieving yardage record is the only one that really stands out.

None of these are impressive to you?

Most receiving yards in a single season: 1,964 yards (2012)

Most receptions in a single calendar month: 49 receptions (December 2012)

First player with at least 2 receiving touchdowns in each of his team's first four games of a season (2011)

First NFL player in history to have consecutive seasons with at least 1,600 yards receiving (2011, 2012)

Seasons with 1,600 yards receiving (2, tied with Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt)

Most consecutive games with at least 100 receiving yards (8)

Most consecutive games with at least 10 receptions (4)

Most 100 receiving yard games in a single season (11, tied with Michael Irvin)

Most consecutive games with at least 2 receiving touchdowns (4, tied with Cris Carter)

Most receiving yards in a four-quarter game in NFL history (329 yards)

Most receiving yards in back to back games (484 yards)

Most career games with 200+ receiving yards (5, tied with Lance Alworth)

Most receiving yards in a five-game span (861 yards)

Most receiving yards in a six-game span (962 yards)

Fastest to 10,000 NFL receiving yards (115 games)

Hey if it were up to me he'd be a first ballot HOFer. I think his career numbers may hide how dominant he was along with playing for the Lions providing him no memorable post season moments. Hopefully some of the ones you posted back that up. But you have to admit some of those records are pretty obscure sounding, most in 4 games, 5 games, 6 games, a calendar month. First to this or that records tend to fall fast. The big ones are yards, TDs, receptions, in a season or career. He took down one of those.

The one you brought up that I forgot but was really impressive was the most yards in four quarters record. I was at the Cowboys game where they went man defense with Carr on him and he went for 329. That was the most impressive athletic performance I've seen in person.

Last edited:
He's a first ballot HOF IMO there is no debate..!?

One more year CJ! Let the fans and city send you off properly

He's a first ballot HOF IMO there is no debate..!?

One more year CJ! Let the fans and city send you off properly

I don't see him playing another year for a send off. I don't see him as someone who wants to waive to fans and say thank you. Plus if he thinks this is the right now he'll do it.

I don't see him playing another year for a send off. I don't see him as someone who wants to waive to fans and say thank you. Plus if he thinks this is the right now he'll do it.

I know, just feels like Barry all over again to some degree and I can't stand the thought..that and really thought maybe one more crack at it with what looks to be at the moment a more favorable schedule next season.

Maybe it's time to retire as an avid fan as well for some of us whom have seen this lions movie too many times now

Back