Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

If the Lions rebound and make the playoffs, should Schwartz still be fired?

Johnny68

Even though the Lions are sitting in 3rd place, they've still got a good chance of winning the division.

Lions win remaining two
Chicago loses to the Eagles
Green Bay loses to Chicago

So, what do you think happens with Schwartz if this happens?

Even though the Lions are sitting in 3rd place, they've still got a good chance of winning the division.

Lions win remaining two
Chicago loses to the Eagles
Green Bay loses to Chicago

So, what do you think happens with Schwartz if this happens?

The first part is the toughie.

If the Lions win the division he keeps his job. That being said, there is no way this team wins the division. They blew it so many times already.

With how many times this team has choked this year, it would be bittersweet if they made the playoffs. I don't want them to now, the damage is already done. Really wish Stafford wasn't resigned. Get this, Stafford is the first quarterback since Jemarcus Russell to throw multiple interceptions in 4 straight home games. He is quickly becoming the laughing stock of the nfl, and I agree with everything said about him. I want nothing more than him to be benched, he needs it. Putting up Mark Sanchez type numbers the last 5 weeks, and not getting any better.

Gym Shorts looked like he had that "deer in the headlights look" on the sidelines, like so many ex-Lions HCs have had over the decades. I remember seeing it specifically after that non-PI call when Durham's arm was held in the endzone, then the camera panned on him.

Last edited:
Schwartz already was extended. Through 2015. If they make playoffs, he probably stays.

We'll see how it shakes out. I want someone to fix turnovers. Linehan is really the offense though but there is enough wrong with the D to start over.

Last edited:
With how many times this team has choked this year, it would be bittersweet if they made the playoffs. I don't want them to now, the damage is already done. Really wish Stafford wasn't resigned. Get this, Stafford is the first quarterback since Jemarcus Russell to throw multiple interceptions in 4 straight home games. He is quickly becoming the laughing stock of the nfl, and I agree with everything said about him. I want nothing more than him to be benched, he needs it. Putting up Mark Sanchez type numbers the last 5 weeks, and not getting any better.

Can't say I agree with you here.

I like Stafford. He has a ton of talent. Do I like the way he played last night. Fuck no. But it doesn't make him a horrible QB.

He ABSOLUTELY needs better coaching, though. I think you can win a SB with Matt Stafford. He has had the weight of the franchise on his shoulders for 5 years now. Nobody wins with that much pressure.

Think about it. Name ONE other QB who has had as much of the responsibility of winning (for what has been the NFL's worst franchise over the last 20 years) as he has?

Nobody.

Not Brady.
Not Ruthless Raper
Maybe Peyton.....but he had more help.
Not Eli.
Not Romo.
Not Breese.
Not Wilson
Not Kaepernick

Seriously......look at CJ this year. Not one person on this board, or on the planet for that matter, will deny he is the best WR in the game. Probably between him and AP as the best (NON-QB) offensive player in football. CJ has dropped 6-7 BIG passes this year. Has he made that many.....of course. Two HUGE drops last night. The Cincinnati drop that was picked at the 3 yard line. Couple big drops in other losses too. Plays that if he makes, entire GAMES might have turned out differently.

But is ANYONE on here gonna blame him for this 7-7 season? NOPE. All on Staff.

My point is.....as bad as he has played at times.....there are SO many other players/situations/mistakes that have also cost us games this year to put THAT much blame on him.

Just my $.02

Agreed. The turnovers stick out though. But many other ways we could win games especially the 3 close home losses. Every turnover wasn't Stafford either.

Agreed. The turnovers stick out though. But many other ways we could win games especially the 3 close home losses. Every turnover wasn't Stafford either.

He is still young. If a new coaching staff can't fix him by the time he is in his prime @ 28, then yeah dump him. But the people calling for his head right now are out of their mind.

He is still young. If a new coaching staff can't fix him by the time he is in his prime @ 28, then yeah dump him. But the people calling for his head right now are out of their mind.

Agreed. Especially with the dead money. No way he's gone the next 2 years. He has to play better though and drafting a QB in Round 2 or 3 is not out of the question either. All the eggs in the Stafford basket has come into question.

Depends on how they look in those 3 games. If they rally and look like they have turned a corner then yes keep him around but if they limp in and get rolled then no.

Can't say I agree with you here.

I like Stafford. He has a ton of talent. Do I like the way he played last night. Fuck no. But it doesn't make him a horrible QB.

He ABSOLUTELY needs better coaching, though. I think you can win a SB with Matt Stafford. He has had the weight of the franchise on his shoulders for 5 years now. Nobody wins with that much pressure.

Think about it. Name ONE other QB who has had as much of the responsibility of winning (for what has been the NFL's worst franchise over the last 20 years) as he has?

Nobody.

Not Brady.
Not Ruthless Raper
Maybe Peyton.....but he had more help.
Not Eli.
Not Romo.
Not Breese.
Not Wilson
Not Kaepernick

Seriously......look at CJ this year. Not one person on this board, or on the planet for that matter, will deny he is the best WR in the game. Probably between him and AP as the best (NON-QB) offensive player in football. CJ has dropped 6-7 BIG passes this year. Has he made that many.....of course. Two HUGE drops last night. The Cincinnati drop that was picked at the 3 yard line. Couple big drops in other losses too. Plays that if he makes, entire GAMES might have turned out differently.

But is ANYONE on here gonna blame him for this 7-7 season? NOPE. All on Staff.

My point is.....as bad as he has played at times.....there are SO many other players/situations/mistakes that have also cost us games this year to put THAT much blame on him.

Just my $.02

Brady...no, because he won
Ruthless Raper...no, because he won
Maybe Peyton...yes, but then he won
Eli....no, because he won
Romo....more than Stafford
Breese....no, because he won
Wilson....made it to a playoff game in his rookie season
Kaepernick....made it to the SB in his 8th start

im not calling for his head based on talent. hes talented. but I definitely agree we need to see if a new OC can help shape him...hes regressing in this offense. The problem ive had is hes being paid top 3 money to perform at this mediocre level. You can not build a team when a few guys take up so much of your cap space....and those few guys underperform. If Staff was single handedly winning us games then fine...pay him whatever you want...but weve seen it time and time again this year that the team that "manages" the game against us....wins the game. See ARI, see TB, see BAL....those teams did nothing to win and we did everything to lose. Your QB that's getting paid 94 mil can not make those mistakes.

As far as yesterday goes the refs chime in with their weekly horrendous calls to blow the game for us. This week was an arm bar. last week was phantom late hit by fairley and phantom defensive hold by Suh on a 3 step drop pass play to the outside WR lmao. Then our idiot coaches can stop the clock at 1:36 left and still have 2 TOs left to try a GW drive.....but we let the clock run down to :38. Genious coaching.....

Stafford is playing like horseshit and schwartz is denying that there is a problem. That's why i can't WAIT until they can that fucking clown. If stafford is gonna be somebody in this league, he's gonna need a coach that sees a problem and looks to fix it

Stafford isn't going anywhere the next 2 years based on the dead money.

Draft a QB though to give him actual competition? Hill is a solid backup but they are never replacing him with Hill.

As long as the don't lose the last 2 games I think he stays. But if he plans to be the coach after the 2014 season he's going to have to make some changes to his coaching staff.

And the coach isn't going to come out publicly and throw his QB under the bus...nor should he with any player. Keep everything in house and say the normal, usual generic answers to the media.

As long as the don't lose the last 2 games I think he stays. But if he plans to be the coach after the 2014 season he's going to have to make some changes to his coaching staff.

And the coach isn't going to come out publicly and throw his QB under the bus...nor should he with any player. Keep everything in house and say the normal, usual generic answers to the media.

I got a good laugh out of how you stated "if they don't lose their last two games". I don't even like their chamces against the jags/texans. And there isn't anything wrong with saying that the qb needs to work on something. If it's obvious, then i don't see what the problem is. We say "stafford is playing like shit", while a head coach would say "there are some areas where he could improve". Schwartz says idiotic shit like "stafford is an accurate quarterback. Probably the most accurate quarterback in the nfl", which just isn't true. Smh i find myself venting every chance i get.

Back