Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Im tired of Leyland and PH worth for Dirks in the 8th was the final straw.

bavarianinnman

PH worth for Dirks just pissed me off. Why do you ph Dirks for worth? Dirks has been on fire lately i just dont get the move.

IM tired of Leyland time to get rid of Him and bring in Tito.

Wasn't the thought to use Worth to bunt? I don't recall the exact situation, but for some reason I thought it was a bunting situation where he wanted to use Worth and move Raburn to LF.

Worth was brought in specifically to bunt in that situation. And Dirks had stranded quite a few runners in that game. But really the move was solely made for Worth to bunt. He got the bunt down but Raburn was forced out at 3rd. Ultimately, Miggy singled in the insurance run they were looking for that inning.

Ya they did bring in Worth to bunt, and the defense did the wheel move and forced raburn out at 3rd.

I dont know i think I would have rather let Dirks try for the base hit than put worth in.

I hate bunting, so I understand you're feelings. I don't like giving up the out. I also understand it was the 8th inning and we have struggled to score runs and it was a 2-1 game. But I'm not going to get mad at the situation. Ironically, it probably worked out better that the sac bunt didn't work. If it did then Miggy would have been walked to load the bases and Prince didn't have a hit in the series...plus he hit into a DP to end that inning.

i dont mind bunting, and i was very unhappy with the call before the bunt happened. If he PH worth for Dirks and allowed worth to swing I would have been livid.

Leyland needs to fucking go. Tonight's game was one of the most awfully mismanaged/overmanaged games I think Ive ever seen. Wasting tons of outs with needless, pointless bunts, pulling Smyly with only 69 pitches, putting in Putkonen instead of Below, Ive fucking had enough. He's finally gone senile this season. He can take Lloyd with him too, someone has to pay for our offense at this point and its not like theyre going to cut any of them right now. We need someone in here to tell them to stop swinging at every goddamn pitch.

FWIW, Worth looked pretty bad trying to get a bunt down a couple days earlier, and failed, before failing again on Sunday. Going 0-2 in consecutive bunt attempts isn't going to help justify your existence, Danny.

Leyland needs to fucking go. Tonight's game was one of the most awfully mismanaged/overmanaged games I think Ive ever seen. Wasting tons of outs with needless, pointless bunts, pulling Smyly with only 69 pitches, putting in Putkonen instead of Below, Ive fucking had enough. He's finally gone senile this season. He can take Lloyd with him too, someone has to pay for our offense at this point and its not like theyre going to cut any of them right now. We need someone in here to tell them to stop swinging at every goddamn pitch.

I don't understand the problem with taking out a pitcher who had given up 4 runs in 5 innings.

Regarding swinging at bad pitches, hasn't Leyland been harping on that publicly? If he's saying it publicly now, you know he's been saying it privately for a while.

I don't understand the problem with taking out a pitcher who had given up 4 runs in 5 innings.

Regarding swinging at bad pitches, hasn't Leyland been harping on that publicly? If he's saying it publicly now, you know he's been saying it privately for a while.

It was an absolute horiffic call pulling Smyly. He was never in trouble, he wasn't walking guys and he rebounded from the 2 HR's, he never panicked like most rookies would. He pulled him for a clown who has no business even donning a major league uniform. Bad bad call...the worst so far this year with many more to come.

Last edited:
It was an absolute horiffic call pulling Smyly. He was never in trouble, he wasn't walking guys and he rebounded from the 2 HR's, he never panicked like most rookies would. He pulled him for a clown who has no business even donning a major league uniform. Bad bad call...the worst so far this year with many more to come.

You do realize he gave up two hits, including a HR, and walked a guy in his last inning, right?

I probably would have left him in start the next inning, but to call it a horiffic call is just....horrific.

You do realize he gave up two hits, including a HR, and walked a guy in his last inning, right?

I probably would have left him in start the next inning, but to call it a horiffic call is just....horrific.

So what? He was never really in trouble and he bounced back from the HR he gave up. Besides, he walked ONE fn guy...lol. It was a HORIFFIC call bringing in Putkonen who is not that good.

69 pitches?? Keep defending it...lol.

So what? He was never really in trouble and he bounced back from the HR he gave up. Besides, he walked ONE fn guy...lol. It was a HORIFFIC call bringing in Putkonen who is not that good.

69 pitches?? Keep defending it...lol.

I never said it was a good move to bring in Putkonen. But it was obvious to me, and hopefully everyone watching, that Smyly didn't have the same command he usually has. Leyland saw that and didn't want to risk him leaving any more up for Chicago to hammer. Now if this is someone like Verlander, for sure, you leave him in and trust him to work it out, but Smyly isn't there yet.

I never said it was a good move to bring in Putkonen. But it was obvious to me, and hopefully everyone watching, that Smyly didn't have the same command he usually has. Leyland saw that and didn't want to risk him leaving any more up for Chicago to hammer. Now if this is someone like Verlander, for sure, you leave him in and trust him to work it out, but Smyly isn't there yet.

Bro, i'm not comparing the kid to Verlander...lol. I'm just telling you what i saw. He was never in trouble. He walked one guy. yeah, he gave up a couple of bombs but the kid never panicked. Not even close actually.

69 pitches, man...that's a tough one to swallow. Bad call on Jimmy and it was on him.

Bro, i'm not comparing the kid to Verlander...lol. I'm just telling you what i saw. He was never in trouble. He walked one guy. yeah, he gave up a couple of bombs but the kid never panicked. Not even close actually.

69 pitches, man...that's a tough one to swallow. Bad call on Jimmy and it was on him.

Verlander was just an example of a guy who can be trusted to make in-game adjustments. I could have said Fister, or...well, that's about it for the Tigers. But anyway, it's not about him not panicking, it's about his inability to keep the ball down.

Agreed Dethroh, Konerko was due up next and he's the most dangerous guy in their lineup to a lefty. Smyly got knocked around this game more than any other, if he had stayed in and gave up the lead all these people would be bitching Leyland should have pulled him.

Though Putkonen was probably a bad call, everyone wanted Below who is still a lefty. If you pull Smyly, you don't bring in another lefty to face Konerko.

I'm fine with pulling Smyly, he wasn't pitching particularly effective, and he is on an innings limit this year.

I'd rather not waste some of those innings when he's struggling.

Put to put in Putkonen? Inexcusable.

But that's not even as bad as Putkonen being on a ML roster.

The guy, as a 25 year, had an ERA over 7 in AA last year with a sub 5 K/9 and 23 K's to 22 BB. After that he pitched 13 innings in AAA...what the fuck has he done to earn a spot on the big league roster? Why was he ever on the 40 man roster? He shouldn't even be in the organization. That one's on DD.

Last edited:
I didn't realize he was only at 69 pitches. Wow. I don't care if your young, inexperienced or what but let your starters pitch. RP are RP for a reason, they're not as good.

Back