Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Is Harbaugh off the hotseat?

rumseyhouse77

So, before the season started all the talk in the sports press was that Harbaugh was on the hotseat. The gist of the conversation was that he was not going to be fired (because he is a Michigan Man and football hero), but that if he didn't produce he would leave by mutual agreement. All of that has disappeared from the sports press now. Is Jimmy off the hotseat now? I never thought he was on it, unless he had a losing record this season, which it doesn't look like he will. If he wins all but the PSU game, should he stay or go? What about losses to PSU and OSU?

I don't know if he ever was on the hot seat to the people who are in the position to make that call but he hasn't done anything yet to suggest that he's the long term answer. If he beats OSU, he gets a pass from the fan base. If he doesn't fans will continue to call for his head. That's all that matters because you're not reaching any of the other goals that you have established for your team.

So, before the season started all the talk in the sports press was that Harbaugh was on the hotseat. The gist of the conversation was that he was not going to be fired (because he is a Michigan Man and football hero), but that if he didn't produce he would leave by mutual agreement. All of that has disappeared from the sports press now. Is Jimmy off the hotseat now? I never thought he was on it, unless he had a losing record this season, which it doesn't look like he will. If he wins all but the PSU game, should he stay or go? What about losses to PSU and OSU?

Who would fire a coach who just went 11-1? Has that ever happened? If he goes 10-2 w/ losses to psu and osu, people will be talking about what a bargain uofm got in his contract extension.

Last edited:
Barring a total collapse of the program and/or a major institutional or personal scandal, JH will serve out his current contract.

Harbaugh has never been in the hotseat. Nobody's happy, but nobody with any say in the matter is thinking about firing him either.

Who would fire a coach who just went 11-1? Has that ever happened? If he goes 10-2 w/ losses to psu and osu, people will be talking about what a bargain uofm got in his contract extension.

Closest I can think of is Cooper at OSU when he won every game except vs Michigan.

Then they brought in Tressel. I guess the real behind the scenes aspect was Cooper was pressured to cheat more, but he was either unwilling or unable.

Closest I can think of is Cooper at OSU when he won every game except vs Michigan.

Then they brought in Tressel. I guess the real behind the scenes aspect was Cooper was pressured to cheat more, but he was either unwilling or unable.

This came across my mind, but I looked it up and his team was 8-4 the year they fired him.

This came across my mind, but I looked it up and his team was 8-4 the year they fired him.

Yes, but IIRC there were MANY BuckNutz screaming for O$U to fire him when UM ruined that previously undefeated season.

They were 12-1 or whatever in '98, that year only MSU beat them. He was fired 2 years later.

Woody Hayes, if I recall, also had issues with the OSU Mob pushing him to cheat more. He did something drastic to force them to back off at some point; I forget what it was, but I think I read about it in Bo's book.

Cooper took over in... '88 I think? I know he was 2-10-1 against us. Almost all of the games in teh series were competitive at least, after our blowout win in '93. It's not like he was coaching an uncompetitive team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but IIRC there were MANY BuckNutz screaming for O$U to fire him when UM ruined that previously undefeated season.

Yeah, Cooper?s teams were 2-10 against Michigan and a number of years the Michigan loss would derail the Buckeyes from a national championship march.

The screams for Cooper?s head were pretty much perennial.

Cooper got the OSU job in December of 1987 because his ASU team beat Michigan in the 1987 Rose Bowl.

Cooper got the OSU job in December of 1987 because his ASU team beat Michigan in the 1987 Rose Bowl.

LOL, linear thinking down in Columbus... they all have one track minds.

Other Big Ten people: "Don't you want to see if he is Big Ten material first? What are his connections to the Midwest?"

Buckeyes: "He beat TTUN."

Other Big Ten people: "Yeah, but that was just one game. What other things did you consider?"

Buckeyes: *collectively scratching heads* "O.. Other things? He beat TTUN."

LOL, linear thinking down in Columbus... they all have one track minds.

Other Big Ten people: "Don't you want to see if he is Big Ten material first? What are his connections to the Midwest?"

Buckeyes: "He beat TTUN."

Other Big Ten people: "Yeah, but that was just one game. What other things did you consider?"

Buckeyes: *collectively scratching heads* "O.. Other things? He beat TTUN."

But?turns out he WAS Big Ten material - he pretty much beat every team in the Big Ten but Michigan.

Anyone that thinks that Harbaugh is off the hot seat is dillusional or lying to themselves. I'm happy with the start, but i havent seen anything i haven't seen before last year. It's the same "the OL is so much better and we have a QB and RBs now!" garbage I've heard since sometime during the Hoke era. Then we play a half decent D and that run game gets shut down. We still manage to win and everyone says "Mich is legit now!" Then comes the rival games and Penn State and we get absolutely destroyed because the defense has holes and the offensive line and QB are shit.

Sorry for being doom and gloom but I'm tired of drinking the kool aid before we see a real win.

I think Monster needs a hug...or a stripper...or a stripper who gives good hugs.

And some alcohol since he is apparently anti-Kool-Aid. Or maybe he just needs that stripper to put a little Kool-Aid in his beverage of choice?

Sadly, even if we beat Nebraska by 50+, seems that won't be sufficient...so definitely need to get him something.

This board could definitely use a fund to help those of us who are in such a malaise.

Hope this is the year the Team breaks you free of those doldrums.

I think Monster needs a hug...or a stripper...or a stripper who gives good hugs.

And some alcohol since he is apparently anti-Kool-Aid. Or maybe he just needs that stripper to put a little Kool-Aid in his beverage of choice?

Sadly, even if we beat Nebraska by 50+, seems that won't be sufficient...so definitely need to get him something.

This board could definitely use a fund to help those of us who are in such a malaise.

Hope this is the year the Team breaks you free of those doldrums.

If we beat Nebraska and then nw and sparty at the end of the month, I'll be satisfied. Just tired of winning early, hyping ourselves up and then losing 4 of the next 5 games and then having an embarrassing bowl performance.

I do need a hug tho.

If we beat Nebraska and then nw and sparty at the end of the month, I'll be satisfied. Just tired of winning early, hyping ourselves up and then losing 4 of the next 5 games and then having an embarrassing bowl performance.

I do need a hug tho.

Everyone needs a good hug now and again.

That's it, I'm starting a new business where people can order hugs and an Uber driver goes to the house to deliver. You can request a male or female or other driver...just don't pull an Urban Meyer and all is well!

That or the new brain chip I posted about in the Diggler's! LOL

Back