Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

is MLB too Hispanic?

Where do you see that?

I'm not finding it on the ESPN MLB page at all.

I think what they're saying is that an american sport is no longer an american sport. Most of the real talent is hispanic.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]I think what they're saying is that an american sport is no longer an american sport. Most of the real talent is hispanic.

That's not even really close to true though.

Even when looking at just offensive players, most of the best ones are American.

And it's not even close when you look at the pitchers.

There are a billion players in the NFL..of course they have a lot of foreign players. 40 man rosters. (Yeah I know...football)... only warm blooded americans can play football though. lol

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]I think what they're saying is that an american sport is no longer an american sport. Most of the real talent is hispanic.
Talks about how college baseball is almost 100% white but the minors are loaded w/Hispanics.

Baseball hasn't been only American for sometime. And what I mean by that is there are Canadian teams.

Baseball is also the national sport of Cuba.

So it's not like it's exclusively an American National Pastime.

And I think we would produce better players if not for the other major sports, the Latin American countries have Soccer and Baseball, while we have Football, Archery, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, and Soccer...the talent pool gets watered down.

Asians are pretty good at baseball too.

I didn't read the article, but we did have a similar discussion on the old Tiger's board on ESPN. Seemed like the consensus was that less affluent kids, especially African American kids, are drawn to football and basketball over baseball. As previously mentioned, Cuba (and DR, Venezuela ect) are baseball centric places.

I guess the question for me is "Does anyone care?". I would hate to see the popularity of the game fade with the next generation, but other than that, it does not affect me.

African American players have been going down for sometime. Very few nowadays.

JimRice said:
I didn't read the article, but we did have a similar discussion on the old Tiger's board on ESPN. Seemed like the consensus was that less affluent kids, especially African American kids, are drawn to football and basketball over baseball. As previously mentioned, Cuba (and DR, Venezuela ect) are baseball centric places.

I guess the question for me is "Does anyone care?". I would hate to see the popularity of the game fade with the next generation, but other than that, it does not affect me.
To an extent, the NHL went through a similar transition w/ the European influx of players. The difference was a very vocal backlash led by Don Cherry. He made no bones about it, any chance he got, to voice his disapproval and even ridiculed the players. Over time the merger of players from Europe, Canada and the US resolved itself to a point where a player like Nick Lidstrom is considered by all to be one of the greatest to ever play. I think tho, that a stereotype still exists to a degree that the Europeans are considered finesse type players while the Canadian players are more gritty, hard nosed.

batcave76 said:
JimRice said:

To an extent, the NHL went through a similar transition w/ the European influx of players. The difference was a very vocal backlash led by Don Cherry. He made no bones about it, any chance he got, to voice his disapproval and even ridiculed the players. Over time the merger of players from Europe, Canada and the US resolved itself to a point where a player like Nick Lidstrom is considered by all to be one of the greatest to ever play. I think tho, that a stereotype still exists to a degree that the Europeans are considered finesse type players while the Canadian players are more gritty, hard nosed.

Same thing in hoops.. "The Euro big man" ..." The American big man"... Dirk, Pau, Yao (No Euro but stilkl overseas), Dwight,Shaq.

MI_Thumb said:

And I think we would produce better players if not for the other major sports, the Latin American countries have Soccer and Baseball, while we have Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, and Soccer...the talent pool gets watered down.

Hey there buddy, ya forgot Archery which my son just competed in at the US Olympic trials (see pic). Denny Mc Clains demise might have been speeded up by all that "Bowling for Dollars".

kalinesboy said:
MI_Thumb said:

And I think we would produce better players if not for the other major sports, the Latin American countries have Soccer and Baseball, while we have Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, and Soccer...the talent pool gets watered down.

Hey there buddy, ya forgot Archery which my son just competed in at the US Olympic trials (see pic). Denny Mc Clains demise might have been speeded up by all that "Bowling for Dollars".

I stand corrected.

My original post has been revised.

Back