Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

It?s Jello Pudding Again

this says he was only convicted of assaulting 1 woman - I thought he had multiple charges stemming from multiple accusers. If he didn't talk about all those instances in his civil case, can he not be charged for the stuff he did to other women? Seems crazy if he gets blanket immunity for crimes not covered by his prior depositions. I get why they can't use those depositions but this is pretty f'd up if he gets immunity criminal immunity from cases not mentioned in his prior immunity deal - like that scumbag rat Jimmy Ryan in City on a Hill.

this says he was only convicted of assaulting 1 woman - I thought he had multiple charges stemming from multiple accusers. If he didn't talk about all those instances in his civil case, can he not be charged for the stuff he did to other women? Seems crazy if he gets blanket immunity for crimes not covered by his prior depositions. I get why they can't use those depositions but this is pretty f'd up if he gets immunity criminal immunity from cases not mentioned in his prior immunity deal - like that scumbag rat Jimmy Ryan in City on a Hill.

I read an article that his conviction was overturned on two grounds: 1) the trial judge should not have allowed evidence that he drugged women using qualludes (or whatever drug) in the 70's, and 2) he had struck a deal to testify in a civil case in exchange for criminal immunity.

I learned - way back in law school - the first is allowed if you're showing evidence of an established pattern of crime, and it's unique enough. FWIW, Two Pennsylvania courts agreed on that in this case, prior to this being overturned

And I also remember some wisdom regarding the second point that cutting deals with prosecutors doesn't mean shit, and the state reneges on defendents all teh time. And not only that, it's wild that a prosecutor could agree to a deal like that, which is contrary to our public policy goal of holding people accountable for committing crimes.

There seems to be a divide on "lawyer twitter" whether this is an example of a separate justice system for the rich in America, or the "right outcome, even if he's probably guilty."

I'm firmly in the former camp now. He should've been in jail for 7 more years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinsel's article only mentions the second as the reason for overturning the conviction. Like a lot of celebrity trials, I didn't really follow this that closely but from what I recall, I thought he had literally dozens of accusers. I thought he was putting up Harvey Weinstein type numbers. I also didn't realize his sentence was only 10yrs - I don't recall thinking he got a short sentence so if I did hear that at the time, I probably figured given his age that was basically a life sentence because I thought he was pretty much going to die in jail.

Tinsel's article only mentions the second as the reason for overturning the conviction. Like a lot of celebrity trials, I didn't really follow this that closely but from what I recall, I thought he had literally dozens of accusers. I thought he was putting up Harvey Weinstein type numbers. I also didn't realize his sentence was only 10yrs - I don't recall thinking he got a short sentence so if I did hear that at the time, I probably figured given his age that was basically a life sentence because I thought he was pretty much going to die in jail.

Yeah, I see now that ABC news' write up mentions two grounds they heard on appeal, but only mentions the deal as the basis for overturning it:
Last year, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court agreed to hear two points in Cosby's appeal to overturn his 2018 sexual assault conviction.

In a ruling released Wednesday, the state Supreme Court concluded that Cosby's prosecution should never have occurred due to a deal the comedian cut with former Montgomery County prosecutor Bruce Castor, who agreed not to criminally prosecute Cosby if he agreed to give a deposition in a civil case brought against him by Constand.​

Constand was one of his sexual assault victims.

NOT defending him, just pointing out the original sentence was 3-10 years...of which he served 3...so in some ways I think this was more likely part of the current movement to get people out of jails sooner than later in nearly every way possible.

The courts get to save a little face by using this argument that he struck a deal with a prosecutor, but that begs the question as to why his Defense Attorneys did not push that angle to keep him out of jail in the first place. He has met the minimum requirements for his sentence, probably has been "on best behavior" or "model inmate" or whatever other terms thrown around these days to release people early. With this appeal, perhaps it was more expedient releasing him than going through Parole hearings and likely less costly to the taxpayers in the long run as he does not need a Parole Officer or further investigations.

He is in his 80s now, with any luck he will not be around much longer to harm more women. Not impossible obviously , but I am just hoping his reign of terror is over at this point. Any woman accepting a drink from him at this point is an absolute fool (not saying she would be asking for it, but definitely foolish at a minimum if not flat out stupid because she would not be able to claim being ignorant at this point).

NOT defending him, just pointing out the original sentence was 3-10 years...of which he served 3...so in some ways I think this was more likely part of the current movement to get people out of jails sooner than later in nearly every way possible.

The courts get to save a little face by using this argument that he struck a deal with a prosecutor, but that begs the question as to why his Defense Attorneys did not push that angle to keep him out of jail in the first place. He has met the minimum requirements for his sentence, probably has been "on best behavior" or "model inmate" or whatever other terms thrown around these days to release people early. With this appeal, perhaps it was more expedient releasing him than going through Parole hearings and likely less costly to the taxpayers in the long run as he does not need a Parole Officer or further investigations.

He is in his 80s now, with any luck he will not be around much longer to harm more women. Not impossible obviously , but I am just hoping his reign of terror is over at this point. Any woman accepting a drink from him at this point is an absolute fool (not saying she would be asking for it, but definitely foolish at a minimum if not flat out stupid because she would not be able to claim being ignorant at this point).

You ain?t been payin? attention

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EaI2OyEKFz8

He had just been denied parole, and had publicly stated he was not remorseful and would never apologize... that's not the kind of attitude that gets you paroled, but I suppose he could change. Not sure how often the chance for parole comes up in PA... every year? two years? he wouldn't have been released anytime soon l, regardless.

I don't think his case is part of the movement you speak of... no one wants sex offenders out of prison sooner. I'm aware of movements to expunge and parole non-violent drug offenders, and give clemency to people serving absurdly long sentences under those stupid 90's era "tough on crime" sentencing laws both parties push.

I guess the PA DA who cut the deal with Bill Cosby (it was back in '04/'05), offering him immunity in criminal cases if he agreed to testify in a civil case against him, rather than taking the 5th, left office shortly thereafter and eventually became Trump's attorney for his defense against impeachment proceedings. small world! (link for the curious)

Last edited by a moderator:
that deal was and is sleazy as hell.

wondering what quid pro quo there was for the prosecutor? why did he care what happened in a civil case?

It's good to see OJ is still looking for Nicole's killer. It sure seems like he thinks the killer is hiding on a golf course.

It's good to see OJ is still looking for Nicole's killer. It sure seems like he thinks the killer is hiding on a golf course.

So you are saying OJ believes the real gloves worn by the killer were....golf gloves? Why that is a brilliant deduction!!!

He had just been denied parole, and had publicly stated he was not remorseful and would never apologize... that's not the kind of attitude that gets you paroled, but I suppose he could change. Not sure how often the chance for parole comes up in PA... every year? two years? he wouldn't have been released anytime soon l, regardless.

I don't think his case is part of the movement you speak of... no one wants sex offenders out of prison sooner. I'm aware of movements to expunge and parole non-violent drug offenders, and give clemency to people serving absurdly long sentences under those stupid 90's era "tough on crime" sentencing laws both parties push.

I guess the PA DA who cut the deal with Bill Cosby (it was back in '04/'05), offering him immunity in criminal cases if he agreed to testify in a civil case against him, rather than taking the 5th, left office shortly thereafter and eventually became Trump's attorney for his defense against impeachment proceedings. small world! (link for the curious)

He likely was already aware of these attempts to use this angle to get off without parole were in motion, so why claim anything else? Parole is meaningless to someone getting conviction overturned.

Back