Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

It took Mel Tucker 2 years

Well, that and who knows how much money to pay off the refs.

I would make banners with Mel?s face on it and his statement about being tougher than Michigan, and I would post them all over the weight room

Well, that and who knows how much money to pay off the refs.

The refs sucked horribly, but our coaches' lack of attention to detail is why we lost. How Harbaugh and Macdonald can be so insanely unprepared for MSU to use tempo is egregious. It's all over their film because they do it every, single game. Macdonald was still trying to run out subs when MSU wasn't subbing and going up-tempo. We gave up 2 TDs to Walker because our D wasn't lined up and took 3 illegal substitution penalties. That's all on Harbaugh and Macdonald. They lost the game for the team because of terrible preparation and the refusal to change during the game. Fucking bush league.

Made great use of transfer portal

quite obviously funded with Rocket Mortgage money, both above the table and below.

But MSU is hardly the only university doing this, so nobody jump all over me for pointing it out...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's one fucking game, and MSU isn't that good.

They didn't make as many mistakes as we did; they might have played a perfect game, except for the two INTs, and had the benefit of playing at home. Plus they took a lot of risks, and almost every single one paid off for them. They played that whole 2nd half on the edge, and never cut themselves. Let's see them do that again...

Contrast that with our litany of false starts, offsides, the aforementioned illegal substitutions, and the truly baffling decision to put McCarthy back in after he fumbled once, and McNamara was playing great.

We don't do those things, and the score is UM 40 - MSU 37, and there is an entirely different narrative going around.

Not trying to take anything away from them. They played a gutsy game and it paid off. But that's what it was. they weren't stronger than us, they couldn't line up and beat us.. and their coaches knew it and planned accordingly.

no one expected us to be 7-1 right now anyway, so people need to chill

They didn't make as many mistakes as we did; they might have played a perfect game, except for the two INTs, and had the benefit of playing at home. Plus they took a lot of risks, and almost every single one paid off for them. They played that whole 2nd half on the edge, and never cut themselves. Let's see them do that again...

Contrast that with our litany of false starts, offsides, the aforementioned illegal substitutions, and the truly baffling decision to put McCarthy back in after he fumbled once, and McNamara was playing great.

We don't do those things, and the score is UM 40 - MSU 37, and there is an entirely different narrative going around.

Not trying to take anything away from them. They played a gutsy game and it paid off. But that's what it was. they weren't stronger than us, they couldn't line up and beat us.. and their coaches knew it and planned accordingly.

I think the 4 best teams in the Big 10 played in two games over the weekend (UM vs MSU & PSU vs OSU). I watched both games from start to finish and I didn't see one team that was much better than the other 3. All are flawed in one way or another.

Cade was supposedly in the tent working on a shoulder issue. I am unsure about this.
Still why run the read option in the rain with a freshmen who had just fumbled when you are trying to grind out a win. Yes I know other teams run read options. But we have never been that good at it. Just Hand the ball off Jimmy. Blake and JJ were not on the same page.

What you are saying is ture about the defense but it?s the same old crap why they lose under Jim. One team figured out our weakness through better coaching and we look like deer in the headlights when that happens. Our safety?s and linebackers were taking bad angles for tackles all games.

Plus Gattis is just a awful play caller inside the red zone. Too many freaking field goals. Too predictable, too cute, ect, ect..
Just another great feather of a loss in Little Jimmies Back pocket. Sorry you just can?t keep losing to your rivals and keep your job. I?m ready for a new head coach unless Jim runs the table and wins his bowl game.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree on Gattis, but we're stuck with him for at least another year.

I don't agree with getting rid of Harbaugh, because we just saw how bad it can get when we're wandering in the wilderness by taking a chance on people "outside the program," so I think the best long term bet - barring back-to-back losing seasons, let Harbaugh have his time to coach and/or prepare a successor if he's ready to retire.

He's done a good, not great job. But his teams have largely been competitive, and we're not buying talent like a lot of schools, and if you want that kind of thing, you're free to cheer for another team. or the Lions :lmao:

Yeah, I agree on Gattis, but we're stuck with him for at least another year.

I don't agree with getting rid of Harbaugh, because we just saw how bad it can get when we're wandering in the wilderness by taking a chance on people "outside the program," so I think the best long term bet - barring back-to-back losing seasons, let Harbaugh have his time to coach and/or prepare a successor if he's ready to retire.

He's done a good, not great job. But his teams have largely been competitive, and we're not buying talent like a lot of schools, and if you want that kind of thing, you're free to cheer for another team. or the Lions :lmao:

It's not automatic that we swing and miss with the next hire. Harbaugh is 20-21 against power 5 teams with a winning record. He hasn't done that good of a job when you consider the talent level on the team.

I'm hoping the Dolphins fire Flores and hire Harbaugh because I know Michigan won't make a move. It's time to move on and see if we can find a coach who is capable of having a winning record against MSU, Wisky, PSU, and can actually beat OSU. Michigan didn't hire Harbaugh to be 3-4 against MSU, .500 against Wisky and PSU, and have zero wins against OSU.

Year 7.

Austin Meek
@byAustinMeek
Harbaugh also mentioned the need to clean up substitution issues on defense. He says Michigan can?t sub when the offense doesn?t sub. DE Mike Morris said Michigan had trouble getting calls in quickly enough.

?It was just happening way too fast,? Morris said.

The first interception barely hurt MSU. It was third down and was just like nailing the most perfect punt downed on the 1

Me, an extremely handsome, reasonable adult: While I'm disappointed we lost to MSU, if you told me prior to the season we'd be 7-1 right now, I'd have nodded and said "that's pretty good considering how last year went" and so I'm not going to now hold Harbaugh's success against him & call for his head because we lost a game, albeit one to a rival like MSU.

Me, an extremely handsome, reasonable adult: While I'm disappointed we lost to MSU, if you told me prior to the season we'd be 7-1 right now, I'd have nodded and said "that's pretty good considering how last year went" and so I'm not going to now hold Harbaugh's success against him & call for his head because we lost a game, albeit one to a rival like MSU.

John Cooper got fired after having a career winning percentage of .715 at OSU. Jim is at .709. It's about the totality of the career and what has been accomplished, not just this season.

If you want to blame coaching I'm completely on board with blaming Jim and McDonald. The fact that they got burned by the substitutions once, okay fine. The fact that it happened multiple times is inexcusable.

That said, Gattis called an exceptional game. There were multiple instances where Cade made the wrong read, missed throws and throw in the drops and penalties and Michigan drops 50 with ease.

Watch this. Devin does an exceptional job of breaking things down and he's entertaining as hell.

https://youtu.be/mXNrFZusWMI

I agree with a lot of this but I definitely don't think we played a near perfect game. Quite the opposite - we had to dig ourselves out of a huge hole largely because we kept shooting ourselves in the foot. We had 7 penalties for 75 yards - 1 less penalty but 16 more yards than uofm, several of them drive killers.

And not to take anything away from Anthony, but both of his TDs were on bush league errors by the defense. That second TD was a nice catch but Kimbrough blew the coverage on that play big time. Neither team played anywhere near a perfect game - not sure which thread I said this in but IMO, that game was lost by the team that made the errors later in the game.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of this but I definitely don't think we played a near perfect game. Quite the opposite - we had to dig ourselves out of a huge hole largely because we kept shooting ourselves in the foot. We had 7 penalties for 75 yards - 1 less penalty but 16 more yards than uofm, several of them drive killers.

And not to take anything away from Anthony, but both of his TDs were on bush league errors by the defense. That second TD was a nice catch but Kimbrough blew the coverage on that play big time. Neither team played anywhere near a perfect game - not sure which thread I said this in but IMO, that game was lost by the team that made the errors later in the game.

The game was lost by the team whose coaching staff STILL can't make adjustments in-game. Simple shit like not subbing when the offense isn't subbing and giving up multiple log TD runs because your defense isn't set. It's really getting old having the better team and losing games because of stupidity on the part of the coaches.

Back