Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

It took Mel Tucker 2 years

At a minimum the substitution issue should have been 100% fixed during halftime.

Time and again we do not see any halftime adjustments by UM while their opponent makes adjustments and UM is caught in 2nd half thinking that since they do not adjust during the half, certainly their opponent does not have the ability to adjust.

The in-game adjustments need to happen. I swear that last Walker TD looked exactly like a prior TD. I have not seen tape breakdowns, but it seems UM attempted to crowd the line and got caught in some trap blocking and once through the LOS, there were no LBs to lean it up and Walker is too good in the open field for even great Safeties to have a good chance. Yes, I am sure he has been tackled by Safeties before, but no one should claim that is a simple task for a Safety. The dude is a Heisman candidate for a reason, you need to stop him within 3 yards of the LOS, IMO.

That said, if you look at replays of his first TD, after he runs into the pile he bounces left. I swear I count 3 uncalled holding penalties at that point, 2 right where he went into the pile as one UM defender is being tackled by the OL and a 2nd up above him looks to be held, and then Hutch seems to be getting held on the edge (granted he seems out of position there as well, getting caught downfield as Walker goes around him... he should have been more upfield and parallel to where Walker was so that when he tries to bounce left, Hutch is in position to prevent that).

The other TDs I have not looked at as closely, but my impression Real Time was MSU was running some very well executed trap plays. That first TD though, those types of runs are notorious for OL and others holding when the player changes direction or is bottled up but manages to escape. I would say it is far more common for holding to be recognized and flagged on those types of runs.

None of that changes the end result, just expressing my opinion based on what cameras showed and history of holding on similar runs. It is only really holding when the refs actually throw the flag... well, uses they pick up that flag and claim there was no penalty. Yeah, that NEVER happens, am I right???

Yeah, I agree on Gattis, but we're stuck with him for at least another year.

I don't agree with getting rid of Harbaugh, because we just saw how bad it can get when we're wandering in the wilderness by taking a chance on people "outside the program," so I think the best long term bet - barring back-to-back losing seasons, let Harbaugh have his time to coach and/or prepare a successor if he's ready to retire.

He's done a good, not great job. But his teams have largely been competitive, and we're not buying talent like a lot of schools, and if you want that kind of thing, you're free to cheer for another team. or the Lions :lmao:

He has had 7 years.

Last edited:
Year 7.

Austin Meek
@byAustinMeek
Harbaugh also mentioned the need to clean up substitution issues on defense. He says Michigan can?t sub when the offense doesn?t sub. DE Mike Morris said Michigan had trouble getting calls in quickly enough.

?It was just happening way too fast,? Morris said.

My Buddy was watching stuff about the game. Podcasts and such and he heard it is the NFL/college thing. College refs set the ball faster then nfl refs. (Remember this is what he saw)
Dumb ass DC couldn?t get his plays in fast enough. Jim the head coach should see this and use a time out If there is a issue getting guys in the right Alignment. Btw this just can?t happen in game 8 when we knew msu was going to use the hurry up. Typical Jimmies staff getting out coaches
YET AGAIN !

Last edited:
The only reservation I have about removing Harbaugh right now is that this team will be almost entirely intact next year and is likely to add a pair of 5 star corners in the recruiting class. With the young skill position players and another year of experience, next year could well be the most talented team he has had. With the transfer portal just getting a kid in campus no longer means he is going to play his whole career for you, but I would be willing to see how things pan out one more year.

Did you know it's just as hard to intentionally lose at rock-paper-scissors as it is to win? I mean, unless you tell the other guy what you're going to do.

Did you know it's just as hard to intentionally lose at rock-paper-scissors as it is to win? I mean, unless you tell the other guy what you're going to do.

But what if the other guy always thinks you?re bluffing?

I would say it?s still just as hard to lose intentionally as it is to win.

So what if you tell him what you?re going to do 100 times in a row, and you do it 100 times in a row, and every single time he thinks you?re bluffing?

Why would you think that he doesn?t believe the 101st time is going to be the time you bluff?

The game was lost by the team whose coaching staff STILL can't make adjustments in-game. Simple shit like not subbing when the offense isn't subbing and giving up multiple log TD runs because your defense isn't set. It's really getting old having the better team and losing games because of stupidity on the part of the coaches.

It's a bit of a stretch to say you have the better team. Better recruits? sure but on some level, recruiting stars are like college transcripts - after some real world experience they start to matter less. When you're only wins against a team are when that team is unraked and sub .500, it's not obvious you're the better team.

But what if the other guy always thinks you?re bluffing?

I would say it?s still just as hard to lose intentionally as it is to win.

So what if you tell him what you?re going to do 100 times in a row, and you do it 100 times in a row, and every single time he thinks you?re bluffing?

Why would you think that he doesn?t believe the 101st time is going to be the time you bluff?

Nothing beats rock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0SoKWLkmLU

Last edited:
The only reservation I have about removing Harbaugh right now is that this team will be almost entirely intact next year and is likely to add a pair of 5 star corners in the recruiting class. With the young skill position players and another year of experience, next year could well be the most talented team he has had. With the transfer portal just getting a kid in campus no longer means he is going to play his whole career for you, but I would be willing to see how things pan out one more year.

It's never been a talent issue since he's been in Ann Arbor. He had 18 total players drafted the last 2 drafts. Plus had 11 picked another year.

My Buddy was watching stuff about the game. Podcasts and such and he heard it is the NFL/college thing. College refs set the ball faster then nfl refs. (Remember this is what he saw)
Dumb ass DC couldn?t get his plays in fast enough. Jim the head coach should see this and use a time out If there is a issue getting guys in the right Alignment. Btw this just can?t happen in game 8 when we knew msu was going to use the hurry up. Typical Jimmies staff getting out coaches
YET AGAIN !

Nebraska used tempo against us this year and had a ton of success. To be completely unprepared for it, again, is inexcusable. The fact that Harbaugh didn't emphasize this to Macdonald in game prep is such an egregious oversight.

Unfortunately, we'll be doing the same shit next season. Jim isn't going anywhere and we'll just be stuck in the never win anything of significance cycle. We're the Pacers of college football.

It's never been a talent issue since he's been in Ann Arbor. He had 18 total players drafted the last 2 drafts. Plus had 11 picked another year.

Wilton Speight, John O'Korn, Brandon Peters, Shea Patterson, Joe Milton. Tell me again how it hasn't been a talent issue?

Wilton Speight, John O'Korn, Brandon Peters, Shea Patterson, Joe Milton. Tell me again how it hasn't been a talent issue?

His own doing. QB recruiting and development has been terrible under Harbaugh. QB recruits since 2016:

2016 - Brandon Peters
2017 - Dylan McCaffrey
2018 - Joe Milton
2019 - Cade McNamara
2020 - Dan Villari
2021 - JJ McCarthy

recruiting class rankings:

2016 - 4th
2017 - 4th
2018 - 24th
2019 - 10th
2020 - 11th
2021 - 11th
2022 - 18th (currently)

It's not a talent issue.

You just make my case for me. Those guys were all pretty much high end recruits that he couldn't develope because he's not a great coach.

I think at this point it can be changed from not a great coach to not even a good coach.

Back