Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Italy out of next World Cup Again

I couldn't believe this.

it's even crazier when you consider they missed the last World Cup, WON the Euro championship last year (the second most competitive international tourney, then missed the World Cup again.

Is Zinedine Zidane still on the team?

Nah, he retired a long time ago.

plus he's French.

plus he REALLY doesn't get along with Italians.

Want me to tell the story again about how I was watching the '06 World Cup with a friend of mine, who's from France, and what he was saying at the same time Zidane headbutted Materazzi?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, he retired a long time ago.

plus he's French.

plus he REALLY doesn't get along with Italians.

Want me to tell the story again about how I was watching the '06 World Cup with a friend of mine, who's from France, and what he was saying at the same time Zidane headbutted Materazzi?

Yes.

I remember you told that story, but I don?t remember exactly how it went.

Isn?t Zidane actually from Casablanca?

Yes.

I remember you told that story, but I don?t remember exactly how it went.

Isn?t Zidane actually from Casablanca?

I thought he's Algerian. Algeria was a former French colony; I don't know if he's Algerian or from a Pied-Noir... that's what white French people born in Algeria are called.

Anyways, yeah, so a good friend of mine who grew up in America and France (his dad is 100% French) had some people over to watch the World Cup final.

The crowd at his house was mixed, but most people in attendance were cheering for Italy. I think I was the only actual Italian American there though.

Sos the game is tied late, but France is pressing. And my friend starts up about how Italians are the sleaziest, greasiest people in Europe, and everyone there knows not to trust them.

Well, as he's saying that, on the edge of the screen we see the headbutt, and Materazzi go flying. I was like, "hey, what the fuck? you can't do that. What's headbutting a guy during the game called? is that sleazy?"

then they showed the replay... and everyone there started laughing at the Frenchman. then they all laughed more when the ref showed Zidane the red card. my friend buried his head in his hands... he and Zidane had brought shame on all of France.

I don't think I ever mentioned that his wife is Italian-Argentine. I can't remember if she was in the room at the time, but I doubt it. She continues to age well... in her late 40's now and still hot.

I thought he's Algerian. Algeria was a former French colony; I don't know if he's Algerian or from a Pied-Noir... that's what white French people born in Algeria are called.

Well Northern Africa is not a very big place. Casablanca, Algeria?it?s like getting two suburbs of Boston mixed up with each other.

Well Northern Africa is not a very big place. Casablanca, Algeria?it?s like getting two suburbs of Boston mixed up with each other.

true. throughout history, Europeans got so sick and tired of mixing up the place names, they just finally let the Muslims have it. But then they had second thoughts in the 1800's and tried to come back.

the Muslims were at first kinda like "Uh... hey? You want us to be part of Europe again? why now? Okay, well we need some of the stuff you have then... like machine guns, factories, cars, steamships, railroads, lots of food...."

And the French, Spanish, Italians, and British were like "Oh, heavens no. You
misunderstand our intentions. You pay this tax, and you give us free grain, oil, rice, and whatever else we ask for, or we kill you, and starve your children to death. We're civilized now, you see?.
"

But then one by one, they got thrown out. Especially when America, for a brief moment in its own history was like "Hey, don't bully the Non-white people. You pathetic Euro-trash types want our American Marshall Plan dollars? Leave the tan people alone." and backed anti-colonial policies.

Except no one heard America muttering under its breath "Bullying non-white people is OUR job now. MWHAHAHAHAHAH"

Back