Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jacob Turner

JimRice said:
[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]

I think the problem that many posters have is that until the Tigers "win the Central", during and after those games they lose, the 'sky is falling' bug will affect the many. BP has the Tigers as 91.3% winning as of today.

No doubt. They are just back from a big series win in Tampa, a win in Minnesota and a split at home against KC. I could see being freaked out if the trip was poor, but I can't abide freaking out over the KC series fresh off that road trip. There's a difference between concern, worry and psychosis and thinking a team in the last month up by a potential 4.5 games in September is in "big trouble" is passed concerned and worried and into psychosis.

yes that's true. the tampa series, winning at twins home park, but sometimes it becomes, "you're only as good as todays win or loss", as in yesterdays loss, which even turned me into a frothing and angry loon at the end of the game thread.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Not sure what everyone was watching but he got shelled.. 4.1 IP and 6 earned runs is not good.. He is terrible at holding runners on base and gave Alex no shot at throw the runners out... Am I ready to sell on the kid.... No but in hindsight maybe he was not the best choice as a spot stater.. And correct me if i am not wrong but if Verlander pitches today and we win we pick up a half a game on the Sox and a full game on the tribe and still have Fister going this weekend.. You cannot split a four games series at home with a team over 20 games under .5oo... Typical Leyland trying to set up his playoff rotation before he clinches yet again. To bad because we wasted a great day from Magglio..
If Verlander does not win Friday we are in big trouble...

C'mon Bob!

We are not in big trouble losing Friday night.
We also need to evaluate Turner for a rotation possibility in April 2012.

Verlander was promoted from Erie for a couple starts in 2005. People seem to forget Justin had a 7+ERA for those two starts.

The Tigers need to make a few decisions regarding Turner and Penny. The last two starts by Turner gave Dombrowski a better measuring stick on which road to pursue this winter.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Ok then I agree but why not use Below... He is a lefty and he has started before.. It seems like the Tigers are trying to catch lightning in a bottle and forcing Turner to me.. They had other options..

They probably thought he was the best option, and I wouldn't disagree.

He is the best pitcher in the farm system, and Below didn't really work out as a starter either.

Without the little league defense behind him Turner would have gotten out of the 5th inning with the Tigers in the lead.

Whatever... Win every game you can...Bad defense or not not all of the 6 runs was because of bad defense.. Lets move on..

Also, if you start Below you lose an effective reliever for a handful of days.

DR said:
Also, if you start Below you lose an effective reliever for a handful of days.

Not if Verlander does his job and besides it is September 1st... There should be no lack of arms in the pen.. Please there is a difference in the two starts Verlander got in 2005 and Turners two starts.. In 2005 the Tigers were 17.5 games out of first on July 4th when Justin made his first start. And on July 23rd were 15.5 games back.. So yeah there is a big difference in the timing for both pitchers..

So who was a better option then? Below? He wasn't much better. Anyone else?

There's really no doubt about Turner being the best option in our system.

He's better than Below, better than anybody else in the farm system, he was simply the best option.

We have played 137 games this is not the first that we let slip through our fingers, and with 25 to go it wont be the last either, it's not the end of the world/season.

Starting Turner was the right idea, you can't win em all, but it's not like he did not give us a chance to win, Miggy and Delmon and Coke are as responsible for that loss as Turner is.

so i imagine the tigers have to go 25-0 to close out the season?

who gives a fuck who they sent out yesterday? you gotta see what you have in the kid at some point, right? but no, let's send out a fucking tomato can which would probably end in the same result. would there still be bitching about that?

We scored 8 runs yesterday.... A tomato can only would have given up 7 runs...LOL

Yesterday was a disaster...LOL

Back