Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

James Shields + Wade Davis to royals?

Perhaps Shields is merely a low #3 or high #4 in MLB overall, however when limiting him to within the AL Central and the NL Central, he might indeed be a high #3 or low #2, considering the quality of many teams' SP in both divisions. The Royals "only" need to clinch a WC or the division title in the weaker AL Central, whose teams they will play against more than any others, of course.

Shields' currently fairly reasonable contract with 2 years remaining , most likely will become more unreasonable (for the Royals to extend him) in '15 should he pitch effectively for the Royals over the next one or two seasons.

I posted one season, b/c if the Royals fail to compete or seriously contend this coming season, their FO might be more inclined to try to trade Shields during the next off-season, or if they do become very competitive, but do not actually contend for most of both '13-'14, then maybe sometime prior to the trade deadline during the '14 season...and before it is too late for them to get anything worthwhile in return.

Last edited:
#1 Kershaw
#2 F. Hernandez
#3 Marcum
#4 Latos
#5 Verlander

#30 J. Weaver
#31 Price

I understand their is health issues with Marcum. From 2009-2012, Marcum leads all MLB starters in Away WHIP and Away OPP OBP

Price (like Shields) has benefited from a pitcher friendly ball park.

I would like to get Jon Lester, because he is a lefty. Homer Bailey. Jordan Zimmerman. Travis Wood (another lefty). Jhoulys Chacin.

To the casual fan (aside from maybe Lester), these are all young and not very recognizable. And they are all in my top 25 and would trade Castellanos + package for any one of them. I wouldn't have traded him for Shields.

Marcum is a surprise even with health issues. I'm just not as up on NL pitchers as AL.
Lester will continue to have the life threatening health issue hanging around for awhile more. Not sure what happened with him, decrease in velocity, in love with the cutter instead of FB's, or the clubhouse problems being part of all that with beckett and others.

With Middlebrooks, possible checchini down the line or other 3B, and seems that their OF is set, Castellanos would be one more for that position. Would Porcello in a pkg. deal work?

Perhaps Shields is merely a low #3 or high #4 in MLB overall, however when limiting him to within the AL Central and the NL Central, he might indeed be a high #3 or low #2, considering the quality of many teams' SP in both divisions. The Royals "only" need to clinch a WC or the division title in the weaker AL Central, whose teams they will play against more than any others, of course.

Shields' currently fairly reasonable contract with 2 years remaining , most likely will become more unreasonable (for the Royals to extend him) in '15 should he pitch effectively for the Royals over the next one or two seasons.

I posted one season, b/c if the Royals fail to compete or seriously contend this coming season, their FO might be more inclined to try to trade Shields during the next off-season, or if they do become very competitive, but do not actually contend for most of both '13-'14, then maybe sometime prior to the trade deadline during the '14 season...and before it is too late for them to get anything worthwhile in return.

So...what you are saying is "when limiting him to within the AL Central and the NL Central, PORCELLO might indeed be a high #3 or low #2."

Marcum is a surprise even with health issues. I'm just not as up on NL pitchers as AL.
Lester will continue to have the life threatening health issue hanging around for awhile more. Not sure what happened with him, decrease in velocity, in love with the cutter instead of FB's, or the clubhouse problems being part of all that with beckett and others.

With Middlebrooks, possible checchini down the line or other 3B, and seems that their OF is set, Castellanos would be one more for that position. Would Porcello in a pkg. deal work?

Just my opinion....but Middlebrooks is highly overrated. Another player who walks as much as Delmon Young, except he has more power, which will play well in Fenway, but not so much elsewhere. I would like more data, but I doubt he turns into anything outside of Fenway. I will add he does hold his own defensively at 3B.

Cecchini has speed and good plate discipline, but no real HR power right now. He was drafted as a SS, but like Castellanos, needs to develop defensively. Scouts project him more as a LFer/DH type. Think Carl Crawford that draws walks.

BOS has J. Gomes projected in LF. Oft injured Ellsbury in CF and Kalish in RF. M. Gomes/Napoli at 1B. I do not see anyone in BOS that could be better than Castellanos projects, except possibly Cecchini.

The Rays are stacked with pitchers.... DD needs to study that organization.

Royals just got a whole lot better. Gonna be a tough division, White Sox are a pretty good team to boot.

#1 Kershaw
#2 F. Hernandez
#3 Marcum
#4 Latos
#5 Verlander

#30 J. Weaver
#31 Price

I understand their is health issues with Marcum. From 2009-2012, Marcum leads all MLB starters in Away WHIP and Away OPP OBP

Price (like Shields) has benefited from a pitcher friendly ball park.

I would like to get Jon Lester, because he is a lefty. Homer Bailey. Jordan Zimmerman. Travis Wood (another lefty). Jhoulys Chacin.

To the casual fan (aside from maybe Lester), these are all young and not very recognizable. And they are all in my top 25 and would trade Castellanos + package for any one of them. I wouldn't have traded him for Shields.

Interesting. I agree on trading Castellanos + for the ones mentioned.

Last edited:
The Rays are stacked with pitchers.... DD needs to study that organization.

Royals just got a whole lot better. Gonna be a tough division, White Sox are a pretty good team to boot.
i think you're overestimating our division rivals a bit. adding shields might add 4 or 5 wins by himself to the royals, but that only gets them to 77-85 at best. that team still has a lot of holes on offense and in their pitching staff as a whole (ervin santana isnt going to help much and they lost soria), and they just traded away by far their best option to remedy the offense in myers. theyre still a long way from contending for the division crown.

the white sox arent that good either, they have a lot of holes in the lineup and their pitching is schizophrenic. it wasnt a fluke that they collapsed at the end of the season, and their team has gotten worse so far this offseason, not better.

realistically i think the royals and white sox will still finish 2nd and 3rd in some order in the division, but theyre not going to be close to us. the twins and indians are going to live in the basement for a while, neither of them has an offense to speak of (especially given that between the two teams they have traded 3 starting outfielders away so far) and have only marginally improved their pitching staffs.

Back