Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jared Goff

boogerlovejoy

Lots to like about how this year finished, besides missing the playoffs. Rams tanked, giving us the 6th pick. We found our HC. Found a great OC (who be better fight like hell to keep) and I do believe Glenn is a good DC....just doesn't have the players right now.

However, can we take a look at what Jared fucking Goff did this year? I will be the first to say it....i HATED that we took Goff back in the Stafford deal. H.A.T.E.D. it. And his first 8 games didn't do anything to change my mind. He was awful. Really, REALLY bad.

But, then he wasn't bad. He was solid the next 9 games and I think we all thought...."Hey, he earned another year to see what he can do". Fuckin guy was MONEY this year. I think he played about as well as he can. Made big throws. Didn't turn it over. Was really good in the red zone.

Look at the stats.

6th in Yards - 4438
7th in YPA -7.6
T-5th in TD - 29
5th in QBR - 61.2
7th in QB Rating - 99.3
2nd in lowest sack % - 3.8%
2nd in lowest INT % -1.2%

He was the 5th best QB in football this year, IMO. His rating and QBR would have been higher if we didn't run the ball so effectively inside the 10. He lost probably 5-6 TD's because we were pretty good at getting the ball in on the ground. Only Mahomes, Allen, Jalen and Tua played better......and I'm 50/50 on Tua.

Guy was really fucking good. Hoping Johnson comes back next year, because this offense could be special.

Last edited:
It?s been an interesting ride with Goff this year. I think a lot of his success is due to Ben Johnson and consistently good protection. That said, he?s really done a good job taking care of the ball.

I still don?t feel comfortable with a 30M cap hit next season, though it would put him at #11 (which is pretty reasonable). I?d definitely support a restructuring if possible to free up another 5-10 million.

It?s been an interesting ride with Goff this year. I think a lot of his success is due to Ben Johnson and consistently good protection. That said, he?s really done a good job taking care of the ball.

I still don?t feel comfortable with a 30M cap hit next season, though it would put him at #11 (which is pretty reasonable). I?d definitely support a restructuring if possible to free up another 5-10 million.

But doing that runs the risk of making the player unhappy. Listen, I don't believe Goff is a top 10 QB is this league.....I think he is probably somewhere in the middle.....but he PLAYED like a top 5 guy.....so a $30M cap his is actually a bargain. Comfortable with it or not....that is a damn good deal for a guy playing like he is. He had a $40M year.

It wouldn't make any sense for him to restructure and cost himself a LOT of money when his stock will not be higher than it is now. If I'm Brad Holmes.....I take the gamble this upcoming season. I risk letting him play his last year out and take the chance of resigning him after the 2023 season if he has another good year, but it gives the team some flexibility that if he doesn't.....we arent locked in to him for any more money.

The $30M cap hit next year does not, in any way, limit us from continuing to build through free agency.....we have plenty of cap space.

Goff restructure just pushes money into 2024 and maybe 2025 of they use a void year

Not really necessary given our ample cap space but could happen

Please keep Ben Johnson though. Good job to Brunell too helping turn Goff around with plenty of support once healthy

Goff restructure just pushes money into 2024 and maybe 2025 of they use a void year

Not really necessary given our ample cap space but could happen

Please keep Ben Johnson though. Good job to Brunell too helping turn Goff around with plenty of support once healthy

It wasn't just that our offense was a lot better.....really good in fact......its also the fact that Brunell and Johnson did it with Jared Goff.

Any team looking to turn a veteran QB around would be stupid NOT to look into hiring BJ and trying to poach Brunell too.

If I'm John Elway......I'd be on the phone to the Lions the second he is allowed to be to get an interview.

Good points on Goff. The cap hit will not be that bad, especially if there?s no big FA options.

That said, I wouldn?t be opposed to trading Goff away for two 1sts. =)

Good points on Goff. The cap hit will not be that bad, especially if there?s no big FA options.

That said, I wouldn?t be opposed to trading Goff away for two 1sts. =)

Can you imagine if someone offered that?

I'd have him on the first plane to that city. "No need to pack, Jared, we'll send your clothes"!

Then I'd trade for Gardner Minchew or Garappolo and draft a QB of the future.

The Detroit Lions are the first team in NFL history to score 20+ points while throwing no interceptions in 9 straight regular season games.

He completely changed my mind. Knowing the defense was a weak point only throwing 7 ints was huge. I believe I saw that is a record low for the lions.

Ben Johnson staying well be crucial.... building on that consistency is important. Not many OCs out there...Kliff Kingsbury just got fired.

He completely changed my mind. Knowing the defense was a weak point only throwing 7 ints was huge. I believe I saw that is a record low for the lions.

Ben Johnson staying well be crucial.... building on that consistency is important. Not many OCs out there...Kliff Kingsbury just got fired.

I agree. Pony up the $ for one more year for Ben Johnson.....because another year of good offense (IF he comes back) would certainly lead to his departure. I'm hoping the teams needing a coach want experience......that's the only thing that will keep Johnson with us next year. Because, honestly, if he comes back and JMo gets used all year.....this offense will challenge KC for #1.

I wouldn't touch Kingsbury. Read option guy. His offense seems to NEED a mobile QB.

Fuck it, I?m now in on Goff too!

Still wouldn?t be upset drafting one early but definitely fine w him as our guy next year.

Detroit had the least amount of turnovers allowed in the league at 15. Great job to all on offense. 4th in turnover differential at plus 7

Fuck it, I?m now in on Goff too!

Still wouldn?t be upset drafting one early but definitely fine w him as our guy next year.

My mid rd guy cam rising is going back to school. Is hooker with our late 2nd rd pick too high?

Last edited:
Back