Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jim Bowden Matt Garza trade proposal

buddyboy2121

RHP Matt Garza and a fringe prospect to the Detroit Tigers for minor league RHP Jacob Turner and 3B Nick Castellanos

After committing nine years and $214 million to first baseman Prince Fielder this offseason, the Tigers have no choice but to go for it in 2012. Acquiring Garza would go a long way toward achieving that goal.

Justin Verlander is repeating his Cy Young award season, but after Verlander the Tigers? rotation is a mixed bag of Doug Fister, who is on the DL for the second time this season, an inconsistent Max Scherzer and Rick Porcello, whose ERAs are well over 5.00. If it weren?t for lefty rookies Drew Smyly, who?s been their second-best starter, and Casey Crosby, who makes his major league debut this weekend, the Tigers would be in real trouble. The staff desperately needs a consistent No. 2 starter behind Verlander. The 28-year-old Garza is in his prime and clearly would fill that void.

Financially, Garza?s contract status also makes him attractive to Detroit. He will earn just $9.5 million this year and is arbitration-eligible. He won?t be a free agent until after 2013. That means the Tigers don?t have to put more long-term exposure on the books if they don?t want to and could trade him in the offseason if they need to lower payroll and replenish the prospects they trade away.

Indeed, the cost of this deal would be steep, because Turner profiles out to be a top-of-the-rotation starter similar to Garza, once his command and control is harnessed. Castellanos will to hit with doubles power but not the type of power you?d like from a corner infielder. However, Wrigley Field would be a good fit for him as he does have consistent sweet-spot contact. He profiles out as a good defensive third baseman. The Cubs still have former No. 1 pick 3B Josh Vitters. If he continues to develop and finally hits pitches on the outside part of the plate, they can always move him to left field.

This deal really works well for both sides, benefiting the Tigers short-term and the Cubs long-term. If that deal proved to be too costly for Detroit, Chicago could go to the Cleveland Indians with this deal:

I guess this is the reason Bowden is no longer a GM. Seems like he was trying to be old school and got owned on trades and drafting.

"The staff desperately needs a consistent No. 2 starter behind Verlander. "

Garza is not a consistent No. 2.

I would not give up our two top prospects for Matt Garza any more than I'd shoot myself in the eye with a nailgun.

Castellano's 2 more hits tonight now batting .406. Can't we get more for Turner and him if we do trade them? You guys are the experts but Nick is really tearing the cover off the ball..

Last edited:
Castellano's 2 more hits tonight now batting .406. Can't we get more for Turner and him if we do trade them? You guys are the experts but Nick is really tearing the cover off the ball..

If I'm DD and I'm giving up both Turner and Castellanos, I'm trying to get Starlin Castro, not Garza.

I would not give up our two top prospects for Matt Garza any more than I'd shoot myself in the eye with a nailgun.

I would trade Turner straight up for him, but nothing more.

Yeah I would take Castro and Garza for them but i would still be reluctant about it..

Only one for Garza though... But is we wait maybe the cubs trade him for less?

Last edited:
I wouldn't.

Oliver, Wilk, some filler maybe.

Garza is not top prospect material.

I don't believe in top pitching prospects, unless they are Justin Verlander or Stephen Strasburg, even then I don't get too excited about them. You're usually better off trading them while they have value then wait while they have the possibility to get hurt or suck it up. Turner hasn't really impressed me that much, he fastball is good, but his other pitches need major work.

Yeah I would take Castro and Garza for them but i would still be reluctant about it..

Only one for Garza though... But is we wait maybe the cubs trade him for less?

I wouldn't. Starlin is young and proven, plus you never know what will happen with prospects. Garza is already proven in the majors while Turner is still in the minors, pitching to the tune of a 3.43 ERA overall.

I wouldn't. Starlin is young and proven, plus you never know what will happen with prospects. Garza is already proven in the majors while Turner is still in the minors, pitching to the tune of a 3.43 ERA overall.

Garza is a proven pitcher with 1 season with an ERA under 3.50(N.L.), and currently 4.22, I would not trade Scherzer for Garza straight up.

Turner still has more upside.

I'm not i am just answering the question... Then I had other questions from the another one... someone mentioned getting Castro in the deal for 2 for 2 and i liked that deal better.

Last edited:

And Fister is a very good number two. Injuries just messing with his mojo this season.

This is new to me hearing Bowden talking about the Tigers as a trade partner for Garza.
He has been chirping about corner outfield and 2nd base upgrade every time I have heard him in the car listening to XM.
I would be shocked if they move Castellanos in any deal with any Tigers players from the minors or majors now. He isn't going anywhere imo, this year except to Erie and then AA and Toledo for 2013. I see Castellanos with the Tigers in 2014...that is when Victor is done 2013 last year on contract....I see him at 3rd, or yeah maybe to left, but if at 3rd, Cabrera and Prince splitting 1B and DH alot.

Back