Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Joe Johnson

It makes good sense to take a look at available wing players. That said, Johnson himself makes no sense. Forget for a second that he's so massively overpaid that the Pistons wouldn't even have the contracts to make a deal. He also hasn't been good in years. He's a passable (but not particularly good) outside shooter who can't defend anybody. KCP hits threes at a similar rate and is already a better defender.

I hope if the Pistons are kicking tires, they are doing so for players/assets that would actually improve the team.

The Pistons need to miss the playoffs and get a lucky ping pong ball. #2 would be perfect...draft D'Angelo Russell.

I was on board with the missing the playoffs when they were 5 wins, 9 million losses. Now, they need to make the playoffs. They need to get some good feeling back into the city. And, if they miss the playoffs, they won't be getting top 3.

I was on board with the missing the playoffs when they were 5 wins, 9 million losses. Now, they need to make the playoffs. They need to get some good feeling back into the city. And, if they miss the playoffs, they won't be getting top 3.

They are tied for the 9th worst record in the NBA right now. They have won 39% of their games. They are not a good team. The ONLY reason they have a shot at the playoffs is because the bottom of the eastern conference is garbage. If they make the playoffs they MIGHT win one game.

Right now they have a 1.5% chance to get a top 3 pick. If they make the playoffs they are guaranteed 15th or worse. This team is re-building.

Well, it doesn't matter that the East is garbage, that's out of their control. What good has it done teams like Philadelphia, Utah, Minnesota, Orlando? Those teams are constantly garbage, and they still are.

Unless you are picking 1, 2, or 3, it's a crap shoot. And unless you have one of the worst records in the league, you will be picking anywhere but top 3.

They aren't going to suddenly tank from their current position. And they need to get some positive feelings, not losing every game and hoping it works out for them.

well, the Pistons currently only have 3 players that are starting caliber players. Jennings, Monroe and Drummond. All of them were selected in the top 10. The rest of their roster is pretty much garbage (KCP has a chance though). To continue the re-build I think they need another top 10 pick.

Last edited:
I disagree a bit with that. Jennings, Monroe, Drummond, Augustin, KCP, those guys are all starting-caliber players. Maybe not at the elite level, but they would start on most teams.

This draft is very deep. You'll be able to land a great talent 1-10. And a lot of the best talent are big men, so the Pistons should be able to land a pure scorer in their spot.

At this point in the season, they'll either be a 6-8 seed, or they'll be picking 10-13 in the draft. Landing a top 3 pick won't happen. And I don't think trying to tank is what they need. There is some small interest starting again in the Palace. There's no reason to kill off the good vibes in hope of getting a top 3 pick.

I disagree a bit with that. Jennings, Monroe, Drummond, Augustin, KCP, those guys are all starting-caliber players. Maybe not at the elite level, but they would start on most teams.

This draft is very deep. You'll be able to land a great talent 1-10. And a lot of the best talent are big men, so the Pistons should be able to land a pure scorer in their spot.

At this point in the season, they'll either be a 6-8 seed, or they'll be picking 10-13 in the draft. Landing a top 3 pick won't happen. And I don't think trying to tank is what they need. There is some small interest starting again in the Palace. There's no reason to kill off the good vibes in hope of getting a top 3 pick.

DJ Augistine is NOT a starting caliber PG. If he were he would have signed a contract as a starting PG last off season instead of signing with the Pistons to be their backup.

KCP has some potential but I find it hard to believe that there are more than a handful of teams that he would start for. 20th in PPG, 25th in FG%, 24th in 3 PT%, 21st in rebounds; outside top 40 in assists; 16th in steals; outside top 30 in FT %

Johnson is about to be 34, has a TON of mileage, WAY past his prime, and has a terrible contract. no thanks.

Last edited:
Just because teams were stupid and passed up on him doesn't mean he's not a starting caliber PG. He was a beast with Chicago when he had to step up. I'm not saying he's elite, but I'll disagree with you on him not being starting material.

Last edited:
Just because teams were stupid and passed up on him doesn't mean he's not a starting caliber PG. He was a beast with Chicago when he had to step up. I'm not saying he's elite, but I'll disagree with you on him not being starting material.

well, you are disagreeing with every NBA team who passed up on a starting PG for $3M a year. He is a good backup but nothing more than that.

I would sure as hell bet there are several teams right now that wish they had him in their starting lineup. Take a look at who New York is starting and tell me if you still don't think he can be a starting PG.

I would sure as hell bet there are several teams right now that wish they had him in their starting lineup. Take a look at who New York is starting and tell me if you still don't think he can be a starting PG.

Jose Calderon...a little better than DJ but older and more expensive. Better shooter, better 3 point shooter, better FT shooter and better TO/Assist ratio on a terrible team.

Back